Institutional Challenge Exam (ICE)
What is ICE?
ICE stands for Institutional Challenge Exams
Institutional Challenge Exams (ICE) are available to students with a satisfactory justification of previous knowledge in a subject area based upon a non-college training program, job experience, or self-learning as an opportunity to earn credit toward a selected degree program.
ICE currently offered
Why take an ICE?
Complete your degree faster by taking ICE, to earn credit for the corresponding courses. Showcase your previous knowledge and earn credit for what you already know.
What do I need to know about ICE?
- Once a student has matriculated at Liberty University, they can email the appropriate ICE Request Form to LUOice@liberty.edu. Once approved, the registration fee will be processed and you will have immediate access to the exam.
- ICE can only be taken once per course.
- Re-registration is not allowed
- ICE cannot be taken if you are currently enrolled in the course or the course has been taken previously.
- ICE must be taken in one sitting.
- There will be a 30-day timeframe, by which students must adhere and complete the ICE.
- Once the request has been approved, students will have immediate access to the ICE.
Things to Consider
- A $50 registration fee will be billed to your Liberty account upon registration.
- A $15 per credit hour fee will be assessed if the exam is passed. This will be billed to your Liberty account.
- It is at the discretion of the faculty to approve/not approve an ICE exam request.
- Credits earned through ICE are applied as transfer credit and do not count toward the minimum number of hours that must be taken through Liberty to have a degree conferred.
- The majority of the course work for any program of study must be earned through Liberty University. Institutional credit requirements for each program are listed within the degree completion plans.
- ICE has been created specifically for Liberty University students, other Institutions are not obligated to recognize or transfer the credit.
What to expect when taking an ICE
- ICE is administered through Liberty University’s learning management system, Blackboard. Students complete these examinations completely online.
- The use of notes, books, websites, etc. is prohibited while taking your exam. This is not an open book exam. The test should be taken without study materials of any kind.
- If you experience ANY technical issues with your exam, contact the helpdesk immediately following the situation and email the ticket number to LUOice@liberty.edu.
- For additional questions, please contact LUOice@liberty.edu.