Students requesting academic accommodations from the Liberty University Online Office of Disability Accommodation Support are required to submit a notification of need form. Furthermore, they are required to submit documentation of a disability in order to verify their eligibility under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990, and ODAS policies. The evaluator’s report must document a disability as defined by the ADA as “a substantial limitation of a major life function.”
Since any academic accommodations given to a student are based upon the present effect of the disability on the student, medical documentation used to request accommodations should be no more than 3 years old. However, exceptions to this amount of time may be made based upon the nature and progression of the visual impairment itself, as well as the accommodations requested.
Certified ophthalmologists or optometrists are qualified to complete this assessment.
Diagnostic Report and Summarizations
The diagnostic report and summary must include, but is not limited to, the following information:
- A specific statement of the student’s visual acuity.
- A summary of assessment.
- Standard scores of any testing given, if applicable.
- Information pertaining to the student’s condition. Mention must be given as to whether the condition is static or changing and, if changing, the rate at which the change seems to be occurring.
- Suggestions (from the evaluator) for specific accommodations to be administered on behalf of the student in a postsecondary academic setting that are supported by the student’s testing results and subsequent diagnosis.
This summary must:
- Be written on evaluator letterhead.
- Be signed and dated by the evaluator.
- Include the specific dates of testing.
- Include professional credentials.
- Include contact information for the evaluator.
Documentation can be sent to the following:
- Fax (preferred): (434) 582-3858, Attention LUO ODAS
- Email (.pdf attachment complete with signature): firstname.lastname@example.org
Liberty University Online ODAS
1971 University Blvd., DeMoss Hall 1264
Lynchburg, VA 24502
Note: Medical Documentation will be reviewed periodically for all current students. Students may be asked to provide updated medical documentation for conditions that may change over time and whose medical documentation is past the required currency at the time of the review. Students are also encouraged to send in medical documentation when changes in their medical condition occur.