Develop Cultural Applications of Worship with Our Worship and Ethnomusicology Doctoral Degree
If you’re fascinated by music in its social and cultural contexts or want to examine music itself and how audiences and musicians interact with it, a doctoral degree in ethnomusicology can position you for a career you’ll love. Whether you have always imagined yourself pursuing doctoral studies in worship, want to make a unique contribution to world missions, or you feel you have more to gain from furthering your education, our Doctor of Worship Studies in Ethnomusicology can equip you to interpret non-Western musical genres, styles, and performances.
Focusing your degree in ethnomusicology can allow you to explore what worship looks like in various cultures. By understanding this, you will not only increase your global marketability but you will also be better prepared to meet the needs of diverse congregations. Our classes emphasize a practical application of worship to ministry in the local church.
Liberty’s online worship doctoral degrees are designed for individuals who are already active in their ministry or career. Life can get busy, so choosing to study with us online is a great way to balance your family, work, and ministry commitments with your educational pursuits.
Why Choose Liberty’s Doctoral Degree in Worship Studies?
If you are considering an online doctoral degree in worship studies, you have likely spent years serving in ministry. Your previous ministry experience is valuable, and a portfolio of your work detailing that experience could earn you course credit. This credit can help you complete a doctoral degree in less time and at a lower cost depending on what you’ve already accomplished in your career.
Additionally, our online worship studies degree is offered 100% online. You have a family, work, and other important responsibilities, so at Liberty, you won’t find required on-campus intensives or set login times — you are free to complete your degree wherever and whenever you choose. Pursue new career opportunities, influence others, and deepen your spiritual walk with Liberty’s Doctor of Worship Studies in Leadership online.
What Will You Learn in Our Doctor of Worship Studies – Ethnomusicology Degree?
Within the core worship studies online courses, you will focus on enhancing your worship theology as a whole. Learn how to integrate foundational philosophies and methodologies central to biblical worship into your ministry. Explore cultural and contextual aspects of worship so you can meet a variety of congregational needs.
During your time as a doctoral worship studies student with Liberty, you will have the opportunity to complete an integrated thesis project. This experience allows you to evaluate your current ministry, or seek mentorship from an experienced worship leader. We believe that even the most trained individuals pursuing this degree will see incredible personal growth through this project.
Study the music of various cultures from around the world, from Africa to India to Latin America. Our ethnomusicology courses focus on research methods in the field so you can develop resources and materials vital to spreading your art and ministry to all types of communities. Open yourself up to the way other cultures experience worship and how it relates back to their social values so that you can be more effective in your current position.
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll be studying!
- WRSP 801 – Theological and Historical Developments Influencing Corporate Worship
- WRSP 810 – Foundations of Christian Worship
- WRSP 835 – Theology, Philosophy, and Methodology of Worship
- WRSP 889 – Thesis Project Proposal and Research
Highlights of Our Online Doctor of Worship Studies in Ethnomusicology Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online D.W.S. degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 4 years – and counting.
- You can complete our online Doctor of Worship degree in about 3 years.
- You will complete an integrated thesis project that will demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced worship theology and Christian scholarship to practical worship ministry problems.
Online Doctor of Worship Studies in Ethnomusicology Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Music
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan
- View the Graduate Music Course Guides (login required)
- View the Thesis Handbook for more information about the required integrated thesis project.
Career Opportunities for Worship Studies in Ethnomusicology Doctoral Graduates
- Head worship pastor
- Music and worship instructor
- Professor of worship studies
- Worship coach or analysts
- Worship counselor and advisor
- Worship theologian
Admission Requirements for Doctoral Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited master of music, master of worship, or its equivalent with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Statement of Purpose
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.