Take Your Knowledge of Music to the Next Level with a PhD in Music Education
You’ve accumulated a wealth of musical experience and knowledge throughout your career. Now take the next logical step as you prepare to educate and lead future generations of musicians and music educators. With Liberty University’s 100% online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Music Education degree, you’ll conduct advanced research and make valuable contributions to the discipline.
Our online PhD in Music Education is designed to equip music professionals like you with the skills needed to assume leadership roles within various organizations. This research-based terminal degree provides historical, philosophical, sociological, psychological, pedagogical, and ethical studies based on the demands of the 21st‐century music educator. Whether you are looking to work as a university professor or at the district level of K-12 music education, this online doctoral program in music can help you achieve your goals.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Music Education Degree Online?
If you’ve made the choice to pursue your music education doctorate, you may be wondering which degree to pursue and why you should complete your program at Liberty University. We are one of the very few schools to offer a PhD in Music Education online.
Here are some of the benefits of choosing to pursue your degree with us:
- You will have the opportunity to conduct research in the music education field and grow as a scholar.
- You can complete your doctoral degree in just 3 years – and, with our 100% online courses, you’ll have the flexibility to continue dedicating time to your career and family.
- This degree provides you with the skills and knowledge needed to pursue multiple career paths, thus increasing your marketability.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Doctorate in Music Education Degree?
Our music education PhD focuses heavily on research. You’ll take courses that cover the biblical foundations of Christian worship, historical developments in music education, and the philosophy of music education. You will also create your own research concept and complete a dissertation on this concept so you can pursue scholarly music recognition.
Your courses can help you gain a deeper understanding of music education as you dive into topics such as the role of college music educators and music education administrators. Your courses will further help you branch out into areas of research related to how you can build community and culture in your music program and relate that to other areas in the educational system and beyond. Through this program, you can develop the critical thinking, scholarly writing, and empirical research skills you need to succeed at higher-level positions in music and the fine arts.
This music education PhD degree can also help you utilize various quantitative and qualitative methods of research so you can make scholarly contributions to the field of music education.
- MUSC 840 – Current Issues in Music Education
- MUSC 845 – The Role of the College Music Teacher
- MUSC 846 – The Role of the Music Education Administrator
- MUSC 851 – Community, Culture, and Relationship in Music Education
Highlights of Our Music Education PhD Online Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online music education PhD degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- You can complete your doctorate in music education in just 3 years.
- Our PhD in Music Education allows you to potentially transfer in up to 50% of your total credit hours, so you can complete your degree even faster.
PhD in Music Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Music.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the online Graduate Music Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Opportunities for Music Education PhD Graduates
- Academic researcher
- Community arts educator
- Ensemble director
- K-12 district administrator of music and fine arts
- Private instructor
- University music professor
Admission Requirements for the PhD in Music Education
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree in music, music education, music and worship, or a related discipline with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.