The Online LL.M. Program Can Help You Take a Step Towards a Future in International Legal Studies
Liberty University’s 100% online Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Legal Studies is a terminal degree which builds upon your legal experience and skills by providing you with advanced studies in international law and policy. This additional anchor in international legal studies will make you a versatile asset in a variety of legal advisement and law practice roles where understanding the boundaries and overlap of American and foreign legal systems makes a critical difference.
The online LL.M. in International Legal Studies degree will give you a solid theological and philosophical foundation through the study of treaties, customary international law, and other principles of legal practice in foreign and international settings.
What is a Master of Laws (LL.M.)?
A Master of Laws (LL.M.) is an advanced law certification that requires a Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school or a law degree (LL.B. or the equivalent) from a foreign law school. The online LL.M. degree provides additional specialization in legal studies that lends itself to advanced practice and advisement roles. If you do not have a law degree, you will first need to obtain one through a residential, accredited U.S. school of law before you can pursue an online LL.M. degree.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online LL.M. Program?
If you currently practice law in a field that consistently encounters foreign and domestic legal interaction, the online Master of Laws in International Legal Studies can help provide the training you need to be an expert on navigating the difficulty of overlapping interests. If you want to branch out from your current practice to an international market, whether your discipline is in politics, business, or international missions, the online LL.M. degree will give you a thorough grounding in the intricacies of foreign governments and how policies affect companies and organizations who work in global markets. The online Master of Laws degree gives you a flexible, 100% online path to studying the critical legal practices and theories that can help you succeed in an increasingly complicated global market.
What Will You Learn in the Online Master of Laws in International Legal Studies?
The online LL.M. program is designed to provide legal professionals and practicing lawyers additional expertise in the international sphere with studies in foreign policies, international business regulations, and other forms of overlapping governance that affect global markets. The core content of the online LL.M. program provides graduate-level legal foundations, research, and legal writing training which gives students the academic support for original scholarly research in the two-part Legal Research and Writing capstone project.
Students will choose from numerous advanced legal studies electives to meet the specific needs of their field, including general backgrounds in law and economics or legal history to give context to contemporary international legal challenges. Students in the online Master of Laws in International Legal Studies may also choose specialized international legal studies topics such as business law, trade policy, legal issues in diplomacy, international human rights, and legal issues in armed conflict. With this flexible selection of advanced international legal studies courses, students in the online LL.M. program will be equipped for business, government, and nonprofit settings in many fields.
The final Legal Research and Writing capstone is delivered in two parts and provides students in the online LL.M. degree with an opportunity to demonstrate their expertise in a specific area of focus. Students will be given research mentorship by leading legal scholars in Liberty University’s School of Law and can use the research from this project as the basis for future publishing or doctoral studies.
Online LL.M. Program Featured Courses
- JURI 610 – Jurisprudence / Legal History
- JURI 630 – International Business Law
- JURI 660 – International Law and Diplomacy
- JURI 680 – International Human Rights
Program Highlights for the Online LL.M. Degree
- By earning your Master of Laws (LL.M.) in International Legal Studies degree from a non-profit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a non-profit university.
- You can complete our online LL.M. program in as little as one year.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
Similar Online Degree Programs
Online LL.M. Program Information
- This program falls under the School of Law.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the online Law Course Syllabi. (login required)
Online LL.M. Program Military Benefits
Are you a service member, veteran, military spouse, or Department of Defense employee? We are proud to support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 for graduate (per credit hour)
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course).
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
Potential Career Options for Graduates of the Online LL.M. Program in International Legal Studies
This online LL.M. program is helpful for legal and policy advisement roles, as well as those in advanced legal practice in international settings or dealing with foreign governments. The online LL.M. program also prepares students for doctoral studies, academic scholarship, and may open opportunities for college-level instruction. Potential career options include:
- Domestic and Foreign Policy Analyst
- International Legal Practice Specialist
- Political Relations Lawyer
Admission Requirements for the Master of Laws in International Legal Studies (LL.M.)
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above cumulative combined GPA for admission in good standing. The applicant must have a Juris Doctor from an accredited U.S. law school or a first law degree (LL.B. or the equivalent) from a foreign law school. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Two Letters of Recommendation
- Personal Statement
- Professional Vita/Resume
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
NOTE: All admissions requirements must be submitted through the student’s LSAC account.
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.