Safeguard Your Country by Earning an Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security
Liberty University can offer you an exciting opportunity to advance your career in the critical area of homeland security through our 100% online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security. This online certificate is specifically designed to train criminal justice professionals for leadership roles in the administration and management of homeland security organizations and the execution of homeland security responsibilities at all levels of government.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Police and Detectives, 2020 (viewed online June 23, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Liberty University’s professors are seasoned professionals who understand critical issues in criminal justice. This homeland security advanced certificate can prepare you to serve as a valuable asset, armed with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in being a protector of America’s security and future. If you do choose to pursue your graduate degree, then this Advanced Certificate can help you seamlessly transition into your master’s studies.
Potential Career Options with an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security
The homeland security certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different career fields that could benefit from our accredited certificate:
- Citizenship and immigration services
- Domestic and international terrorism
- Transportation security
The law enforcement and security skills that you gain from our Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security can be an asset in many other organizations within the Department of Homeland Security as you pursue positions of added responsibility. Additionally, the credits from this certificate may transfer directly into the master’s in criminal justice. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
Why Should You Choose Liberty University’s Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security?
As a pioneer of distance learning since 1985, we’ve used our experience to design an online delivery format that meets your needs as a student and professional. Available 100% online with no set login times, our Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security allows you to remain active in your job, family, and community while you pursue your education. With 8-week courses and 8 different start dates throughout the year, our advanced homeland security certificate program helps you maximize your time and advance in your career faster.
Whether you are currently in leadership or are preparing for a similar role, our online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security provides a convenient way to gain the skills and knowledge you need to successfully fill leadership roles in homeland security organizations. Another convenient part of this certificate is that you can start a graduate degree in criminal justice and have the credits from your homeland security advanced certificate seamlessly transfer into your degree.
What Will You Learn in our Online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security?
Our online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security develops leaders in the homeland security field with a Christian worldview who can serve with diligence and integrity. Our courses can provide an overview of key principles, components, and concepts of homeland security in the United States. You can also learn about the core policy, procedures, and legislation that has gone into the creation of the Department of Homeland Security.
In order to better equip you in the execution of homeland security directives, you will also learn about some of the various legal issues that may come up in the execution of your duties. How to evaluate some of the challenges to civil liberties is another topic you will study. Additionally, this certificate program will introduce you to some of the systems that have been put in place to respond to terrorist activities and disasters that may threaten the United States.
- HLSC 500 – Foundations of Homeland Security
- HLSC 510 – Homeland Security Organization and Administration
- HLSC 520 – Legal Issues in Homeland Security
- HLSC 600 – Introduction to Disaster Management
- HLSC 610 – Understanding Terrorism and Homeland Security
- HLSC 620 – Hazard Mitigation
- NSEC 507 – Terrorism and National Security
Program Highlights of the Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 7 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You can complete our online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security in as little as 1 year.
- You may apply many credits earned in our online advanced certificate toward a relevant graduate degree.
Online Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security Information
- This program falls under our Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for this program.
- View our Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Roll these credits into the corresponding master’s or doctoral degree
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee**
- Official college transcripts***
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
**There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
***Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.