Safeguard Your Country by Earning an Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security
Liberty University can offer you an exciting opportunity to advance your career in the critical area of homeland security through our 100% online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security. This online certificate is specifically designed to train criminal justice professionals for leadership roles in the administration and management of homeland security organizations and the execution of homeland security responsibilities at all levels of government.
Liberty University’s professors are seasoned professionals who understand critical issues in criminal justice. This homeland security advanced certificate can prepare you to serve as a valuable asset, armed with the skills and knowledge needed to excel in being a protector of America’s security and future. If you do choose to pursue your graduate degree, then this Advanced Certificate can help you seamlessly transition into your master’s studies.
Perfect for Military Benefits
If you have served in the military, we want to go above and beyond to show you our gratitude. That’s why we designed our 21-credit-hour certificates to work especially well for your benefits. These programs are designed to maximize your tuition assistance by allowing you to earn additional graduate-level credit without using your GI Bill® benefits.*
All credits in these certificates count toward a corresponding graduate program, so you have a clear path forward if you want to pursue a degree. Each certificate can stand on its own as a professional development credential and give you the flexibility to start a graduate degree whenever you’re ready. It’s one more way we show our appreciation.
Why Should You Choose Liberty University’s Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security?
As a pioneer of distance learning since 1985, we’ve used our experience to design an online delivery format that meets your needs as a student and professional. Available 100% online with no set login times, our Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security allows you to remain active in your job, family, and community while you pursue your education. With 8-week courses and 8 different start dates throughout the year, our advanced homeland security certificate program helps you maximize your time and advance in your career faster.
Whether you are currently in leadership or are preparing for a similar role, our online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security provides a convenient way to gain the skills and knowledge you need to successfully fill leadership roles in homeland security organizations. Another convenient part of this certificate is that you can start a graduate degree in criminal justice and have the credits from your homeland security advanced certificate seamlessly transfer into your degree.
What Will You Learn in our Online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security?
Our online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security develops leaders in the homeland security field with a Christian worldview who can serve with diligence and integrity. Our courses will provide an overview of key principles, components, and concepts of homeland security in the United States. You will also learn about the core policy, procedures, and legislation that has gone into the creation of the Department of Homeland Security.
In order to better equip you in the execution of homeland security directives, you will also learn about some of the various legal issues that may come up in the execution of your duties. How to evaluate some of the challenges to civil liberties is another topic you will study. Additionally, this certificate program will introduce you to some of the systems that have been put in place to respond to terrorist activities and disasters that may threaten the United States.
- HLSC 500 – Foundations of Homeland Security
- HLSC 510 – Homeland Security Organization and Administration
- HLSC 520 – Legal Issues in Homeland Security
- HLSC 600 – Introduction to Disaster Management
- HLSC 610 – Understanding Terrorism and Homeland Security
- HLSC 620 – Hazard Mitigation
- NSEC 507 – Terrorism and National Security
Program Highlights of the Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 6 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- Maximize tuition assistance without having to use GI Bill® benefits!
- You can complete our online Advanced Certificate in Homeland Security in as little as 1 year.
- You may apply many credits earned in our online advanced certificate toward a relevant graduate degree.
Online Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security Information
- This program falls under our Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for this program.
- View our Graduate Government Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts — $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- Maximize tuition assistance without having to use GI Bill® benefits
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Potential Career Options with an Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security
This homeland security certificate was designed to lead you to a career to protect and serve your community.
Potential career fields include:
- Citizenship and immigration services
- Domestic and international terrorism
- Transportation security
Some of these occupations may require that you have a graduate degree. That’s why Liberty created Advanced Certificates that can seamlessly transfer into one of our corresponding master’s programs. So if you are looking to further your studies after completing your certificate in homeland security, you will be able to seamlessly transfer into our master’s in criminal justice!
Admission Requirements for Our Advanced Graduate Certificate in Homeland Security
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee**
- Official college transcripts***
- Proof of English proficiency
**There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
***Please note: You cannot be accepted for this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.