Help Your Community Achieve More with Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering Online Degree
Civil engineers have a hand in helping nearly every part of how modern society functions. Engineers are the creative designers, builders, and maintainers of infrastructure we use every day — from roads, bridges, seaports, and airports to emergency and disaster relief systems used to help keep people safe. If you want to help build and maintain the fabric of modern society, then Liberty’s Bachelor of Science (BS) in Civil Engineering degree online can help you launch a rewarding and fulfilling career.
As the foundation of nearly all branches of modern engineering, civil engineering has a broad scope and is one of the most flexible disciplines. Whether you want to ensure that cities get clean water and energy, or you want to design better, safer roads, an online civil engineering degree can give you the skills you need.
Many industries need civil engineers to help build the backbones of their businesses, which means that a degree in this field can help equip you with in-demand job skills. By pursuing Liberty’s bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, you can seek out lucrative and fulfilling jobs as you provide benefit to society through your work as a civil engineer.
At Liberty, we don’t shortchange you when you pursue an online degree – we empower you. Partner with us and get the training you need to make a lasting impact as a civil engineer.
Is it possible to earn a civil engineering degree online?
Yes! At Liberty University, we offer an online Bachelor of Science (BS) in Civil Engineering. This degree program consists of 8-week courses – allowing you to earn a degree on your schedule and pursue most of your education from the comfort of home while enjoying valuable networking opportunities during 2 on-campus intensives.
The online delivery of this civil engineering degree does not compromise quality or academic rigor. This degree program is designed to help you gain a working knowledge of various engineering topics that can prepare you to pursue a variety of civil engineering careers upon graduation.
Choose us for your studies and experience firsthand what an online engineering degree from Liberty University can do for you.
Please note: Senior-level courses for this program will be offered for the first time during the 2023-2024 academic year.
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering Degree Online?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to design a respected online degree program that blends convenience, affordability, and academic excellence. This degree program has been carefully designed by industry experts who have a passion for your success
Liberty’s BS in Civil Engineering is designed to help equip you for engineering roles in the military, private sector, government, and a wide variety of other industries. Our bachelor’s degree in civil engineering – which is offered online with some intensives – focuses on the foundational skills you’ll need for success in your field.
An intensive will give you the opportunity to visit Liberty University’s beautiful campus in Central Virginia when it fits into your schedule. This provides valuable hands-on training in topics such as material properties, fluid properties, and surveying as well as the chance to meet and collaborate with your peers and professors.
Our engineering students have found roles at companies such as Boeing, Georgia Pacific, NASA, Disney, and the National Ground Intelligence Center for the U.S. Army. The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects that the job market will grow at a rate of 8% between 2020 and 2030.*
With a median pay of $88,570, you can take advantage of a steady job market with high salary opportunities.* By partnering with us for your civil engineering degree and pursuing a career as a professional engineer, you may see numerous employment opportunities as infrastructure continues to age and market demand requires people to manage future projects.
With practical skills to help communities build and grow, you can also assist in nonprofit and ministry operations locally, nationally, and abroad. You could also contribute to disaster relief, assist communities in gaining access to water and other essential amenities, and with many other critical needs across the globe.
A bachelor’s degree in engineering from Liberty University can help you pursue a variety of job opportunities – and it can bolster your résumé by putting your engineering talents to work.
The civil engineering program plans to apply for Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET) accreditation during the 2023-2024 accreditation cycle. ABET is a highly respected programmatic accrediting body, and earning this accreditation demonstrates the quality of an engineering program.
Fundamentals of Engineering Exam
Our civil engineering program provides preparatory coursework designed to equip students to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. This is the first step in the process of becoming a professional, licensed engineer.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Civil Engineers (viewed online Dec. 20, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Civil Engineering Bachelor Degree?
Our civil engineering degree offers a broad scope of foundational knowledge that can prepare you for a career in the engineering field or for graduate studies. Civil engineers must consider costs, environmental hazards, government regulations, the ability to withstand natural disasters, the durability of the infrastructure, and how engineering technologies can be used to build lasting structures.
You will take engineering courses covering these and other topics with an emphasis on structural, geotechnical, transportation, and construction engineering to prepare you for a successful career in civil engineering. Other courses cover topics like the protection of water resources and the prevention of erosion due to runoff from storms and flooding.
As a civil engineer, you may also specialize in transportation and planning. Throughout this degree, you will study how to plan, design, build, and maintain facilities that serve millions of people. These might include highways, railroad systems, mass transit, and airports.
Our bachelor of engineering is also an excellent way for you to pursue a career designing construction projects of varying scopes – from small, local projects to large undertakings for cities. As a civil engineering graduate from Liberty University, you can be assured that you will be prepared for an exciting future in building your community.
Our goal is that our civil engineering graduates are able to do the following within a few years of graduating:
- Be recognized as creative thinkers and emerging leaders in engineering, exhibiting an aptitude for continuous improvement
- Display professional ethics and behavior consistent with foundational Christian principles
- Be an invested, contributing, core team member with a focus on customers and a sense for business and innovation
- Be an effective communicator for interfacing with diverse audiences
- Conduct appropriate checks to produce quality engineering work within acceptable tolerances
- ENGV 225 – Surveying
- ENGV 365 – Hydraulic Engineering
- ENGV 380 – Project and Construction Management
- ENGV 410 – Transportation Engineering
Course guides coming soon
BS in Civil Engineering Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Engineering.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Undergraduate Course Guides (login required).
- Two 2-credit hour intensives are required.
Our civil engineering program aims to teach students to:
- Acquire and apply new knowledge as needed, using appropriate learning strategies
- Apply engineering design to produce solutions that meet specified needs with consideration of public health, safety, and welfare, as well as global, cultural, social, environmental, and economic factors
- Communicate effectively with a range of audiences
- Develop and conduct appropriate experimentation, analyze and interpret data, and use engineering judgment to draw conclusions
- Function effectively on a team whose members together provide leadership, create a collaborative and inclusive environment, establish goals, plan tasks, and meet objectives
- Identify, formulate, and solve complex engineering problems by applying principles of engineering, science, and mathematics
- Recognize ethical and professional responsibilities in engineering situations and make informed judgments, which must consider the impact of engineering solutions in global, economic, environmental, and societal contexts
Career Opportunities for Civil Engineering Graduates
- Construction manager
- Environmental engineer
- Geotechnical engineer
- Project manager
- Transportation engineer
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Highlights of Our Civil Engineering Bachelor’s Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online BS in Civil Engineering degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- Through 2 required on-campus intensive courses, you will meet and collaborate with peers and professors while completing your online degree and gaining valuable hands-on training. These intensives will give you the opportunity to visit Liberty University’s beautiful campus in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia when it fits into your schedule.
- Our civil engineering bachelor’s degree program will include preparatory coursework that is designed to equip you to take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam.
- You will have access to the latest technology and qualified faculty who seek to know you personally and provide you with opportunities for education, research, and training in a Christ-centered environment.
- Liberty University’s Center for Engineering Research and Education (CERE) promotes research and development of all forms of energy generation, storage, and transmission. As an online student, you will benefit from the findings of our brick-and-mortar campus.
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.