Available Fall 2020
Help Your Community Achieve More with Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering
Civil engineers have a hand in helping nearly every part of how modern society functions. Engineers are the creative designers, builders, and maintainers of infrastructure we use every day — from roads, bridges, seaports, and airports to emergency and disaster relief systems used to help keep people safe.
If you want to help build and maintain the fabric of modern society, then Liberty’s 100% online Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering can help you launch a rewarding and fulfilling career.
As the foundation of nearly all branches of modern engineering, civil engineering has a broad scope and is one of the most flexible disciplines. Whether you want to ensure that cities get clean water and energy, or you want to design better, safer roads, a civil engineering degree can give you the skills you need.
Nearly every industry needs civil engineers to help build the backbones of their businesses, so your professional skills will be in high demand with a degree in this field. You can seek out lucrative and fulfilling jobs as well as benefit society with your work as a civil engineer. Come join Liberty University and get the training you need!
Why Choose Liberty’s Bachelor’s in Civil Engineering Degree?
Liberty’s B.S. in Civil Engineering is designed to equip you for engineering roles in the military, industry, government, or varying industries. Our engineering program focuses on the foundational skills you’ll need for success in your field.
Our engineering students have found roles at companies such as Boeing, Georgia Pacific, NASA, Disney, and the National Ground Intelligence Center for the U.S. Army. This is because civil engineers are in high demand. The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects that the job market will grow at a rate of 6% between 2018 and 2028. With a median pay of $86,640, you can take advantage of a growing market with high salary opportunities.*
With practical skills to help communities build and grow, you can also help in nonprofit and ministry operations locally, nationally, and abroad. You could help with disaster relief, assist communities in gaining access to water and other essential amenities, and with many other critical needs across the globe. A B.S. in Civil Engineering from Liberty University can give you an opportunity to serve God as well as gain professional experience by putting your engineering talents to work.
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering Degree?
Our civil engineering degree offers a broad scope of foundational knowledge that can prepare you for a career in the engineering field or for graduate studies. Civil engineers must consider costs, environmental hazards, government regulations, the ability to withstand natural disasters, and the durability of the infrastructure. You will take 28 engineering courses covering these and other topics with an emphasis on structural, geotechnical, transportation, and construction engineering to prepare you for a successful career in civil engineering.
Another field that is part of your studies will be environmental engineering, which will address issues like air quality and pollution, water quality, the removal of hazardous waste, and the prevention of groundwater contamination. You will also study power generation and the process of distributing and storing electricity. Various other courses cover topics like the protection of water resources and the prevention of erosion due to runoff from storms and flooding.
As a civil engineer, you may also specialize in transportation and planning. Throughout this degree, you will learn how to plan, design, build, and maintain facilities that are the backbone of the world’s economy. These might include highways, railroad systems, mass transit, and airports. As a civil engineering graduate from Liberty University, you can be assured that you will be prepared for an exciting future in building your community.
View the Degree Completion Plan (coming soon), and check out our featured courses below for more information!
- ENGV 225 – Surveying*
- ENGV 365 – Hydraulic Engineering*
- ENGV 380 – Project and Construction Management*
- ENGV 410 – Transportation Engineering*
*Course guide coming soon
B.S. in Civil Engineering Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Engineering.
- You may transfer in up to 50% of your major-specific credits and 75% of your total degree.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan (coming soon).
- For more information, you can view our course catalog.
Career Opportunities for Civil Engineering Graduates
- Construction manager
- Environmental engineer
- Geotechnical engineer
- Project manager
- Transportation engineer
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
Highlights of Our Civil Engineering Bachelor’s Degree
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online B.S. in Civil Engineering degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- This program is offered in an 8-week course format with 8 different start dates each year and no set login times!
- You will have access to the latest technology and qualified faculty who seek to know you personally and provide you with opportunities for education, research, and training in a Christ-centered environment.
- Liberty University’s Center for Engineering Research and Education (CERE) promotes research and development of all forms of energy generation, storage, and transmission. As an online student, you will benefit from the findings of our brick-and-mortar campus.
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at the Occupational Outlook Handbook for civil engineers, 2019, (viewed online December 20, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.