Take Your Scholarship Further with Liberty’s Advanced Studies PhD in Special Education
Completing your Doctor of Education (Ed.D.) was an enormous achievement. You spent years researching the field of education from a professional perspective, but you are not done yet. Your desire to understand the full scope of this field drives you further. If you are interested in adding a dissertation on special education to your list of accomplishments, Liberty University has the PhD you need to make it happen.
Becoming a researcher and leader in the field of education means assuming a role in shaping the future of its policies, goals, and objectives. Whether you want to make an impact in a K-12, business, or government setting, a PhD in Advanced Educational Studies – Special Education is the degree you need.
By coming into this PhD with a conferred doctoral degree, you will be able to transfer up to 39 of your hard-earned credits into the program. With the PhD in Advanced Educational Studies requiring a total of 60 credit hours, you will be just 21 credit hours away from adding a PhD to your name.
Why Choose Liberty’s Advanced Educational Studies Doctoral Program?
Liberty’s PhD in Advanced Educational Studies gives you new opportunities as an education professional. All of the research and work that went into your Ed.D. can be seamlessly applied to this program – including a large number of your completed credits! By transferring your doctoral courses into our PhD, you will be able to expand your current insight into the field while moving quickly towards a new doctoral credential.
While an Ed.D. focuses more on professional development and application, your work in the PhD in Advanced Educational Studies – Special Education program will allow you to demonstrate your scholarship through a dissertation process. You will analyze scholarly research related to the field of special education so you can create and present original research by the end of the program.
Study under the Mentorship of Christian Scholars
One element that makes Liberty’s PhD program so unique is how we incorporate our commitment to the Christian faith into it. Our advanced educational studies program is designed to address the spirit as well as the intellect. Each course will include a consideration of Scripture relevant to the topic area.
Not only will your courses integrate biblical principles but your professors will also guide and instruct you from their faith. Our mission is to equip you as an expert in the field of special education who leads with confidence and integrity.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Ph.D. in Advanced Studies for Special Education Degree?
The goal of your coursework in the PhD in Advanced Educational Studies is to have you well-equipped to communicate through various mediums and critically problem-solve. Additionally, this program will help to increase your information literacy through the examination of current literature, research defense, and dissemination.
By focusing your research and dissertation on special education, you will study the unique needs of students with all forms of learning disabilities. You will also study best practices in curriculum and program development for children with behavioral disorders, special needs, and those who excel and need more challenging programs.
Understanding these topics in special education is vital for effectively serving your school administration at the local, state, and national level.
Some of the additional topics you will cover in this program include:
- A biblical perspective on decision making within the field of education
- Advanced practices in designing and conducting original research
- Educational theories within the field for professional and academic practice
- Pedagogical concepts and approaches based upon research and knowledge of the discipline
- Theories and evidence-based practices that inform leadership, research, and teacher preparation in special education
View the Degree Completion Plan, and check out our featured courses below for more information.
- EDSP 722 – History and Future of Special Education
- EDSP 724 – Collaboration and Communication in Special Education
- EDSP 725 – Assessment and Evaluation in Special Education
- EDSP 726 – Disability and Learning
Advanced Studies in Special Education PhD Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Up to 39 credit hours of the degree total can be transferred into Liberty.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Career Opportunities for Advanced Studies in Special Education Graduates
- Educational consultant
- Educational researcher
- K-12 special education director
- University administrator
- University professor
Admission Requirements for Doctoral Degrees
A conferred PhD in Education or Ed.D. from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Highlights of Our PhD in Advanced Educational Studies
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online PhD in Advanced Educational Studies from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- With a PhD in Advanced Educational Studies, you’ll be in a position to take advantage of the increased market demand for leaders in education and to increase your earning potential.
- Completing your PhD gives you a terminal educational credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of your field’s achievement.
- If you have a conferred Ed.D. or PhD in Education, you can earn a PhD in Advanced Educational Studies with only 21 hours of research and dissertation requirements.