Go Beyond Your Doctor of Education in Liberty’s Instructional Design and Technology Program
Do you have your Doctor of Education (Ed.D.), but you find yourself needing a degree that helps you move into the realm of research to make valuable contributions to your field? Liberty University has designed a unique opportunity for you to transfer in up to two-thirds of your conferred Ed.D. credit into a PhD in Advanced Educational Studies – Instructional Design and Technology.
Our 100% online PhD in instructional design and technology (IDT) degree program will expand your knowledge, skills, and training in instructional design. You will learn through advanced course content and in-depth research on cognitive development, evaluation and assessment, and the design and implementation of distance learning programs and job aids.
With advanced insight into the ways students learn, you will develop new learning processes and products designed for student success. Throughout our PhD in instructional design and technology, you will learn how to effectively communicate with school administrators, teachers, and students through various mediums as you create effective and engaging learning programs. Use the valuable knowledge and insight you have already gained in your Ed.D. to sharpen and refine your skills in research and publication.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Advanced Educational Studies Degree Focusing on Instructional Design and Technology?
Because your time is valuable, we have created this degree to give graduates from Ed.D. programs the opportunity to add a specialization and pursue a PhD degree without starting at the beginning of a doctoral program. Start Liberty’s PhD in Advanced Educational Studies – Instructional Design and Technology online degree today to expand on your Ed.D. research or capstone project by focusing a PhD dissertation on a similar research topic.
Furthermore, the PhD in instructional design and technology is 100% online, which means you are not required to attend courses on campus at any time as you pursue your degree. We are committed to helping you obtain your degree in a way that is most convenient for you. You will also receive training and instruction from professors who are grounded in their Christian faith and ready to equip you to utilize biblical principles in the education field.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s PhD in Instructional Design and Technology?
Liberty University’s IDT courses seek to enhance your knowledge of instructional design so you can develop support products and processes needed to enhance the efficiency of learning. Our instructional design and technology courses provide training on how to develop web-based courses for online learning as well as printed educational aids for use in both the classroom and the workplace.
As you begin our PhD in education technology degree online, you will improve your knowledge of the various styles of learning and how instructional design and technology play a part in reaching the unique needs of students and teachers. From there, you will learn advanced techniques using existing technologies for web-based learning as well as new developments in technology and their possible implications for the future.
In addition, you will be conducting research and working on your dissertation to contribute to the field of instructional design and technology. This shift in course emphasis will allow you to take what you’ve gained in your professional degree and apply it to a more focused, research-based doctorate.
- EDUC 730 – Issues and Trends in Learning Technologies
- EDUC 731 – Instructional Design Theory
- EDUC 732 – Principles of Human Performance Technology
- EDUC 733 – Instructional Systems Design
Online PhD in Educational Technology Degree Information
- This program falls under our School of Education.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options with an Instructional Design and Technology Degree
- Academic dean
- Chief learning officer
- Director of e-learning
- Distance learning senior director
- Educational researcher
- Educational technology director
- Military education specialist
- Professor (higher education)
- Researcher (IDT)
- Senior instructional design specialist
- Senior training specialist
Admission Requirements for Our Online PhD in Advanced Educational Studies – Instructional Design and Technology
A conferred PhD in Education or Ed.D. from a regionally accredited institution with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Highlights of the Online Instructional Design and Technology PhD Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online PhD in instructional design degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- If you have a conferred Ed.D. or PhD in Education, you can earn a PhD in Advanced Educational Studies with only 21 hours of research and dissertation requirements.
- You will learn how to create and administer effective education environments.
- Our Doctor of Philosophy in Advanced Educational Studies program will allow you to develop educational management skills and foster leadership in teachers and students.
- Our PhD online is a 3-year program that includes an integrated dissertation process allowing you to work toward your final research project while completing your coursework. Completing your PhD gives you a terminal educational credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of your field’s achievement.