Prepare to Shape the Future of Special Education with a Doctor of Education in Special Education Degree
Are you interested in furthering your career in education? Do you have experience in or are looking to branch out into special education? Do you want to develop a deep understanding of the inner workings of a successful special education program?
It takes dedicated and equipped individuals to make a positive impact in the field of education – even more so in special education. Our Doctor of Education (EdD) in Special Education is designed to help you become well-equipped to communicate through various mediums, critically problem-solve, and increase information literacy through examining current literature and research. These skills are essential to effectively lead in special education.
This program can help enthusiastic educators like you develop the knowledge and skills needed to make a profound impact in the field of special education. If you have a passion for molding the minds of others and desire specific training in the area of special education, Liberty University’s 100% online EdD in Special Education may be the right fit for you.
Partner with us and further your education so you can invest in others and create change for the good. Embark on this transformative educational experience and discover how our program can empower you to become a leader, advocate, and catalyst for change in the lives of individuals with special needs.
*Some exclusions apply. Please refer to our exclusions page for more information.
Why Choose Liberty’s Special Education EdD Degree?
Liberty University is committed to preparing future educators and leaders who can impact the broader field of education for Christ. Our EdD in Special Education is a 100% online program that provides advanced training for educators across various fields. Whether your goal is to work directly with those who have special education needs, design curricula, serve in the administration, or lead an organization, this program can provide you with a well-rounded understanding of learning theory and help you apply it to your professional endeavors.
At Liberty University, we believe in the integration of faith and learning. Our program is founded on a strong Christian worldview, providing a distinct perspective that permeates every course we offer. You will have the opportunity to explore the intersection of biblical truth and the principles of special education, allowing you to develop a deeper understanding of the ethical and moral dimensions of this field.
Additionally, our dedicated faculty members are accomplished professionals in the field of special education. They bring a wealth of experience and expertise to the virtual classroom, ensuring that you receive the highest quality education. You will learn from professors who are committed to mentoring and guiding you throughout your doctoral journey, providing valuable insights and personalized support.
The 100% online format of our EdD in Special Education degree program allows you to further your education and career while maintaining your personal life. When you partner with Liberty University, you can be confident that you are entering an environment designed with your success in mind.
What Will You Learn in Our EdD in Special Education Degree?
The EdD in Special Education program is structured to help you expand your knowledge in the realm of serving students with special needs. Through this program, you can:
- Analyze pedagogical concepts and approaches based upon research and knowledge of the discipline for high-impact practices.
- Assess educational theories within the field for professional and academic practice.
- Design and conduct original research that adds to the knowledge base of the discipline.
- Evaluate the process of designing a curriculum and implementing instructional practices.
- Integrate a biblical worldview when defending ethical and moral decision-making within the field of education.
The courses in the EdD in Special Education online program are broken down into 4 groups: education courses, special education core courses, research courses, and capstone project courses. You’ll have the unique opportunity to deepen your understanding of the broader education field while further focusing on special education. The education courses cover advanced learning theory and research, theories of historical and philosophical foundations, and your choice of either issues and trends in learning technologies or organizational analysis and problem-solving.
The courses specific to special education incorporate the history and future of the field, administration and supervision, collaboration and communication, assessment and evaluation, disability and learning, and critical review of special education literature. You’ll explore principles of special education and disability advocacy from a Christian perspective as well as trace current and historical trends and issues in the treatment of people with disabilities. You can develop the necessary skills for effective leadership, management, and supervision in special education and disability services.
The EdD in Special Education is specifically designed to emphasize the analysis of applied research and practical application of that research through the creation and presentation of a capstone project. Toward the end of the program, prior to developing your capstone, you will take research courses that include a survey of educational research, applied research methods, literature review for applied research, and applied research concepts and methodology. To culminate the program, you will conduct original research in the field of special education to be developed into a final capstone project.
- EDSP 722 – History and Future of Special Education
- EDSP 724 – Collaboration and Communication in Special Education
- EDSP 725 – Assessment and Evaluation in Special Education
- EDSP 726 – Disability and Learning
Highlights of Our EdD in Special Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- At Liberty, you can complete your online doctorate in special education in as little as 3 years!
- Our courses are offered 100% online, allowing you to maintain your personal commitments while advancing your education.
Special Education EdD Degree Information
- This online EdD degree falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program.
Military Benefits for Our Online EdD in Special Education
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for EdD courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for Special Education Doctor of Education Graduates
- Education instructor
- Educational consultant
- K-12 educational technology director
- University administrator
- University professor
Admission Requirements for the Online EdD in Special Education Program
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.