Help Your Students Thrive with a Doctorate in Special Education Online Program
Are you an education professional looking to advance your career? If so, Liberty’s online Doctor of Education (EdD) in Curriculum and Instruction – Special Education degree is a great option. This program can help equip you to meet the unique needs of all your students, including those with learning disabilities. You’ll study the best methods for developing a curriculum and implementing educational technology in the classroom.
An EdD is a terminal degree designed to promote professional development. By completing this program, you can address teaching challenges at K-12 schools and universities. Maybe you want to become a special education teacher at the elementary, middle, or high school level. Or perhaps you’d like to work as a professor or administrator at a university. Either way, our EdD in Special Education seeks to provide the tools you need to make a positive impact on the modern education system.
Partner with us and learn how to help students of all ages and backgrounds reach their full potential.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Online EdD in Special Education?
Experienced Faculty | In this program, you’ll study under professors who have years of experience in academia, school administration, and curriculum development. Our seasoned faculty can help strengthen your expertise and equip you to work as an advanced educator, administrator, or researcher.
Flexibility | Our EdD in Special Education is offered 100% online, and our classes have no set login times. You can complete your coursework from the comfort of your home and easily access your class materials whenever you need them. Most importantly, you can stay invested in the things that really matter — like your family, job, and community — while earning your degree.
Valuable Credentials | This online doctorate in special education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). You can be confident that your degree has met rigorous academic standards.
When the superintendent of his local public school system retired, Liberty University online graduate Dr. Richard J. Ney of New Jersey submitted his application for the position.
“After an intense round of interviews where I competed against a number of other qualified candidates, I was appointed superintendent and chief school administrator [in New Jersey]. I do not believe that I would have succeeded without having completed my doctoral studies at Liberty University.”
– Dr. Richard J. Ney, Doctor of Education (EdD)
Frequently Asked Questions
Why pursue an EdD in Special Education?
An EdD is a terminal degree that can help equip you for a variety of educational leadership roles. This is a valuable degree that can help increase your knowledge and effectiveness in the education field.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals who earn a doctoral degree earn approximately 19% more per year than their counterparts who only have a master’s.* Completing your doctorate is a great way to advance your career, increase your earning potential, and boost your job performance.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment (viewed online January 31, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Can I teach at a university with an EdD in Special Education?
Yes! While an EdD is primarily a professional doctorate designed to provide vocational knowledge, this degree can also help equip you to teach at the collegiate level.
What is the salary for a special education teacher?
Many EdD graduates go on to become special education teachers. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average salary for special education teachers is $61,420 per year.* By earning your EdD at Liberty University, you can take advantage of exciting, rewarding job opportunities and make a difference in the lives of students everywhere.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Special Education Teachers (viewed online July 13, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Do you need a master’s to get an EdD in Special Education?
Yes — to qualify for this program, you must have an accredited master’s degree. Please see our “Admission Requirements” tab below for more details.
How long does it take to earn an EdD in Special Education?
Liberty University’s special education doctorate can be completed in about 3 years. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you further your education without uprooting your life.
Does an EdD require a dissertation?
This online doctoral degree program in special education does not require a dissertation. However, you will complete an extensive capstone project in order to synthesize your knowledge and apply it to real-world challenges.
What Will You Learn in Our Online EdD Program in Special Education?
Learn how to help individuals with disabilities thrive in school and in life.
In this program, you can gain essential skills in educational research, organizational leadership, special education, curriculum development, and instructional strategies. Our online EdD degree also explores the theoretical, historical, and philosophical aspects of learning theory. With this knowledge, you can develop innovative tools and techniques that boost student achievement.
The education field is constantly growing and changing, and Liberty University’s EdD in Curriculum and Instruction can help you stay ahead of the curve. Our core courses provide a theoretical and practical approach to curriculum and instruction. You can learn how to research, design, and develop a curriculum that promotes active learning. Whether you want to work as a school administrator or directly in the classroom, we desire to equip you to address various challenges that arise in the education field.
Learn how to design and oversee educational programs for students with learning disabilities. In the special education concentration, you can explore how to help your students overcome challenges and achieve practical learning goals. That way, you can help students with special needs learn, grow, and thrive.
This program contains several research courses, culminating in an extensive final capstone project. You’ll have the opportunity to conduct original research and contribute to the base of knowledge in your field.
- EDUC 701 – Advanced Learning Theory and Research
- EDSP 722 – History and Future of Special Education
- EDSP 724 – Collaboration and Communication in Special Education
- EDSP 725 – Assessment and Evaluation in Special Education
Highlights of Liberty University’s EdD in Curriculum and Instruction – Special Education Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online EdD degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- This doctorate degree in special education is accredited by NCATE through CAEP.
- At Liberty, you can complete your online doctorate in special education in as little as 3 years!
- The courses in this online EdD program are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- Doctoral students can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal while completing this EdD in Special Education online.
- If you’re a full-time parent or working professional, Liberty University’s online EdD program provides the flexibility you need to take the next step in your academic journey.
You may also be interested in the online Education Specialist (Ed.S.) Degree.
Doctor of Education in Special Education Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our online doctoral program in special education.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Review additional details about this degree.
Military Benefits for Liberty University’s Curriculum and Instruction EdD Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
What Jobs Can You Get with an EdD in Curriculum and Instruction – Special Education?
By earning this online doctorate in special education, you can pursue a variety of educational leadership careers, both inside and outside the classroom. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- College instructor
- Curriculum specialist
- Instructional supervisor
- School administrator
- Special education teacher
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s EdD Program
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.