Learn Key Skills and Prepare for Educational Leadership Positions with Liberty’s Curriculum and Instruction EdD – Online Teaching and Learning
Have you always dreamed of working your way into an educational leadership position? Perhaps you have a passion for teaching and impacting the lives of students, and you’d like to earn a career-enhancing credential that can help bolster your earning potential and equip you with valuable knowledge. You also may be interested in teaching and administering online courses to learners across the world. If this sounds like you, Liberty University’s 100% online Doctor of Education (EdD) in Curriculum and Instruction – Online Teaching and Learning may be a great fit for you.
The need for highly qualified professionals who can design and deliver online courses is soaring. Distance education is becoming an increasingly sought-after commodity for working professionals, busy parents, and people who simply can’t relocate to further their education. At Liberty, we recognize this trend – and you do too. With our teaching degree online, you can prepare to deliver programs to distance learners and train the next generation of educational leaders.
This doctorate in curriculum and instruction – online teaching and learning degree is taught by a cadre of expert professors who are passionate about your success. You can benefit from their years of experience as you further your education and pursue your degree. The time has never been better to pursue a curriculum and instruction doctoral program for distance learners – and at Liberty, it has never been simpler. Partner with us, gain new skills, and take your career to new heights.
Why Choose Liberty’s Curriculum and Instruction EdD Online Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to design a flexible, affordable online degree program that will challenge you to grasp new concepts while respecting your personal commitments to your job, family, and community. Our curriculum and instruction doctoral program – online teaching and learning degree is offered 100% online with no required intensives – allowing you to pursue your degree from the comfort of home.
In addition, the demand for online education – and therefore, online educators – is booming. According to research, nearly 52% of college students took at least 1 online course in the 2019-2020 academic year.* This substantial figure speaks volumes to the popularity of distance education. With this degree program, you can prepare to tap into the growing demand for online learning as an educator.
Another reason to pursue your online Doctor of Education degree is the pay potential that comes with terminal degrees. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics reported that in 2021, professionals with a doctoral degree earned about 32% more than colleagues who had a master’s degree.** Earning your online doctorate in curriculum and instruction – online teaching and learning isn’t just a way for you to learn in-demand skills – it could be a way for you to boost your earning potential considerably.
*Inside Higher Ed, at Half of All College Students Take Online Courses (viewed online May 10, 2022).
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Employment, wages, and projected change in employment by typical entry-level education (viewed online May 10, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction – Teaching and Learning Degree?
This degree program consists of 5 sections: education theory courses, curriculum and instruction core courses, the online teaching and learning specialization, research and evaluation courses, and the capstone project.
The education theory section covers advanced learning theory and research as well as historical and philosophical foundations of education. From there, this degree allows you to choose 4 topics in the curriculum and instruction core. You could study issues and trends in learning technologies or curriculum and instruction, curriculum theory, or investigations in curriculum change. You can also choose to study research in curriculum design and development.
The online teaching and learning specialization covers online course design and development, teaching and learning in the online environment, and current issues and trends in online education. After completing these courses, you’ll study educational research, applied research methods, a literature review for applied research, and applied research concepts as part of the research and evaluation courses.
Lastly, the capstone project is a 4-stage sequence that will challenge you to demonstrate all that you have learned throughout your degree program.
- EDUC 750 – Survey of Educational Research
- EDUC 772 – Online Course Design and Development*
- EDUC 773 – Teaching and Learning in the Online Environment*
- EDUC 774 – Current Issues and Trends in Online Education*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Online EdD in Online Teaching and Learning Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- The School of Education is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) through the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
EdD in Curriculum and Instruction – Teaching and Learning Degree Information
- This online EdD degree falls under the School of Education.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online EdD in Curriculum and Instruction – Online Teaching and Learning
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for EdD courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Potential Career Opportunities for EdD in Curriculum and Instruction – Online Teaching and Learning Graduates
- Curriculum specialist
- Elementary educator
- Instructional supervisor
- Middle school educator
- School administrator
- Secondary school educator
- University professor
Some positions require licensure. The EdD in Curriculum and Instruction – Online Teaching and Learning is a non-licensure program.
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Curriculum and Instruction EdD
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.