Take the First Step in Your Teaching Career with an Online Associate Degree in Education
Are you seeking a career in education? Do you want to become a teacher but aren’t ready to commit to a specific career path? Are you passionate about helping children learn and making a positive impact on the next generation?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, then Liberty University’s Associate of Arts in Education program may be right for you! This online degree is a great first step to take in your teaching journey. You’ll gain the tools needed to help students of all ages learn, grow, and succeed in school. After completing this A.A. degree, you can either start working in the education sector or pursue a bachelor’s degree.
At Liberty, we seek to equip qualified educators who are leaders in their field. Partner with us and get started on the path to teaching with our associate degree in education.
Can you become a teacher with an associate degree in education?
This is a non-licensure program, and completing this degree will not qualify you to sit for teacher certification exams. However, earning an associate degree can help jumpstart your teaching career. You’ll be equipped to work in many paraeducator and early childhood education roles, including as a teacher’s aide or classroom assistant. In some states, you may also qualify to work as a substitute or preschool teacher.
If you wish to teach higher grades or become a lead teacher, you must earn a teaching license. To do so, you can transfer credits from this A.A. degree to one of our licensure-track bachelor’s in education programs.
Why Choose Liberty’s Associate in Education Degree Online?
At Liberty, our curriculum is designed with your success in mind.
If you’re worried that school will get in the way of your other commitments and priorities, we have just what you need. Our A.A. in Education program is offered 100% online, which means you won’t have to relocate or leave your job to earn your degree! You can easily access your study materials whenever you need them and complete your courses when it’s most convenient for you.
Choosing Liberty means choosing a degree that prepares you for the real world. As pioneers in distance learning, we don’t just offer flexibility — we offer programs led by professors who are experts in their field. Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). You can be confident that the skills and credentials gained at Liberty can help you stand out to employers.
Our education associate degrees are non-licensure programs. However, you can transfer in credits from your associate degree and pursue licensure through one of our 100% online Bachelor of Education programs! With Liberty, you’ll be equipped to lead with excellence and integrity in the education field.
What Will You Learn in Our Associate of Arts in Teaching and Education Online Program?
You will begin your degree studying core competencies like English and mathematics and then take courses in information literacy, social science, and cultural studies. After completing a variety of general education courses, you’ll take several education classes that will give you a broad overview of the field.
This program provides an introduction to the major trends and issues facing today’s education professionals. You’ll be equipped to pick a career path, understand the historical and philosophical roots of education, and evaluate the rewards and challenges of a teaching career. You’ll also explore the many factors that influence education, including law, ethics, cultural diversity, and society.
An understanding of how people learn is essential for all educators. Our A.A. in Education program will help bolster your résumé and teaching portfolio and give you insight into various learning theories. You’ll learn how to adapt and personalize your teaching style to meet the needs of all types of students. Our course in childhood psychology will help you understand children’s mental, emotional, and social needs, allowing you to effectively serve society’s youngest learners.
At Liberty, we can equip you with the specialized knowledge and skills needed to launch your career by providing solid foundational training in educational behavior and development. This degree will highlight practical methods for creating lesson plans, developing teaching strategies, and managing classrooms. With an accredited program that includes real-world training, you can become a skilled, ethical educator who inspires students and fosters their curiosity.
Associate in Education Degree Information
- This program falls under Liberty University’s School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our associate in education online degree.
- View the Undergraduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This is a non-licensure program. It will not qualify you to earn a Virginia State teaching license or a teaching certificate in any other state. If you would like to be eligible for a teaching license or an ACSI (Association of Christian Schools International) teacher certification, you must complete one of our licensure-track education degrees.
Military Benefits for Our Online A.A. in Education Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate students
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Highlights of Liberty’s Associate Degree in Education Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Associate of Arts in Education degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete this degree in less than 2 years.
- Our online education courses are only 8 weeks long with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- By earning this associate degree, you’ll be equipped to continue your education with a bachelor’s program, like our Bachelor of Education (BEd) – which leads to teacher licensure.
- As an online student at Liberty, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal.
- You’ll get to network with education students from across the country.
What Jobs Can I Get with an Associate Degree in Education?
By earning this non-licensure degree, you can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the world of education. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Child care worker
- Homeschool teacher
- Preschool teacher
- Special education aide
- Substitute teacher
- Teacher’s assistant
Admission Requirements for Our Online Associate Degree in Teaching and Education Program
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.