Become an Effective Minister in Urban Cultural Contexts with a Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Urban Ministry Degree
Are you passionate about meeting the needs of people in urban or inner-city settings? Liberty University has created a unique degree program for ministry professionals like you to help you thrive as you pursue a career serving these populations. Our Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Urban Ministry will give you knowledge and insight into working with urban populations as well as opportunities to conduct extensive research and develop your own insights into this type of ministry.
Your heart for reaching diverse groups in dense populations does not go unrecognized. Growing numbers within cities both nationally and globally mean people like you – with the right training, skills, expertise, and passion – are critical to reaching these populations with the Gospel. Partner with us to gain advanced knowledge in understanding the unique demands of urban ministry so you can meet the needs of people living within major cities.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Doctor of Ministry in Urban Ministry?
At Liberty University, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. In keeping with that mission, we strive to provide ministry professionals like yourself with an excellent and Christ-centered education. Here, you’ll receive the resources you need to become well-equipped in developing culturally relevant ministries for urban populations.
Throughout your D.Min. in Urban Ministry, you’ll study under professors who have years of ministerial experience and are experts in their disciplines. They hold doctorates in ministry-related fields and are committed to mentoring you throughout your program. You’ll be encouraged throughout your interactions with them in your virtual classroom.
In addition to learning from professionals in evangelism, theology, and ministry, you’ll have the opportunity to develop your own professionalism in the field. This degree includes courses in research and thesis development which will prepare you to write your thesis. You will have regular feedback and support from faculty and staff as you consider innovative ideas and ways to influence others with the Gospel in urban settings.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) Degree?
- Unlike many online bible colleges or seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Our online Doctor of Ministry degree offers a practice-focused training that emphasizes solving real-world ministry problems with advanced practice and research.
- The customizable content of the online D.Min. degree allows you to choose courses that directly relate to your ministry, and the thesis provides an opportunity to dig into research and scholarship under the mentorship of Liberty’s Christian scholars to better equip you for your ministry.
- Complete an integrated thesis project that will demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced theology and Christian scholarship to practical ministry problems.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Doctorate in Urban Ministry?
A doctoral degree in ministry will prepare you to lead and influence others in a variety of ministerial settings. Through it, you’ll gain the knowledge and skills to initiate new work, continue a thriving ministry, or simply excel in your outreach through church, parachurch, or nonprofit organizations. With a specialization in urban ministry, you’ll receive specific preparation for working with dynamic and diverse populations.
Additionally, you will write a thesis as a part of your program. Through this requirement, you’ll complete extensive research and develop new insight into the topic of urban ministry. This will give you a deeper understanding of relevant issues in urban society and the additional skills you need to excel in this field. You’ll be able to analyze and address the complex needs of communities and integrate Gospel-related solutions to your work in cities with diverse populations.
- CHMN 850 – A Biblical and Missiological Theology of the City*
- CHMN 851 – Contemporary Issues of the City*
- CHMN 852 – Disciple-making Strategies among Diverse Communities*
- PACO 825 – Growth and Development of the Contemporary Minister*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our D.Min. in Urban Ministry Degree
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years – and counting.
- You can complete your Doctor of Ministry program in as little as 2 years!
- The Doctor of Ministry in Urban Ministry is one of the only degrees of its kind offered 100% online.
- Learn from faculty who are excited about teaching, training, and guiding you throughout your program from a Christian perspective and their years of ministerial experience.
D.Min. in Urban Ministry Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Career Opportunities for D.Min. in Urban Ministry Graduates
Liberty University’s Doctor of Ministry programs are designed for professionals who are actively engaged in full-time ministry. The program is intended to provide professional development for your career as a full-time minister. However, the Doctor of Ministry in Urban Ministry may expand your career potential into positions such as:
- Church or ministry leader in an urban setting
- Director of urban ministry at a nonprofit organization
- Parachurch administrator
- Senior pastor of an inner-city church
Admission Requirements for Our Online D.Min. in Urban Ministry Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity degree (or its equivalent) with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact Information for two pastoral recommenders
- Official Transcripts showing a Master of Divinity or a Master of Divinity Equivalent
- 3 years of ministry experience
- Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Vita
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.