Prepare to Defend Your Faith with Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry (DMin) Degree in Theology and Apologetics
If you are passionate about defending the truth of Scripture with grace and humility, our 100% online Doctor of Ministry in Theology and Apologetics degree can help equip you with skills useful in the defense of Christianity. Our DMin in Theology and Apologetics degree can teach you advanced cultural engagement skills, so you can practically apply the theoretical knowledge you gain. At Liberty, we have a vested interest in your success. Partner with us and broaden the impact of your apologetics ministry.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online DMin Program in Theology and Apologetics?
Liberty University is a renowned institution of higher education, well known as one of the largest Christian universities in the world. As a nonprofit university, we offer a highly competitive tuition rate to make our programs as affordable as possible. While other universities are increasing their tuition, we want to equip ministry workers without weighing them down. Our DMin program has a block rate of just $2,750 a semester for students taking 7 to 15 credits. If you are planning to take less than 7 credits, you will still receive a discounted rate of just $395 per credit hour!
Is a DMin the same as a PhD?
A DMin degree and a PhD are 2 different degrees with different emphases.
Maybe you’re interested in an online divinity degree, but you’re not sure whether you should choose a DMin or a PhD. When making your choice, you should consider the emphasis of the 2 degrees. PhD programs are more theoretical in nature than DMin programs. PhD students tend to pursue academic careers in teaching or research while many DMin students pursue real-world ministry positions upon graduation.
If you’re interested in teaching at a Bible college, you may find our PhD in Bible Exposition more attractive. On the other hand, if you’d like to use your degree to work in church leadership or youth ministry, our DMin in Theology and Apologetics may be the best fit for you.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry (DMin) Degree?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Completing our online Doctor of Ministry program gives you a practice-focused degree that emphasizes solving real-world ministry problems with advanced practice and research.
- The online DMin degree’s variety of specializations allows you to focus directly on issues relating to your ministry, and the thesis provides an opportunity to dig into research under the mentorship of Liberty’s Christian scholars to better equip you for your ministry.
- You will choose to complete either an integrated thesis or a portfolio project that will challenge you to demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced theology and Christian scholarship to practical ministry problems.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Doctor of Ministry in Theology and Apologetics Degree Program?
Our DMin in Apologetics and Theology degree online can provide you with an advanced study of the history and defense of the Christian faith. In our DMin in Theology and Apologetics degree program, you will embark on a deep-diving journey through the Old and New Testaments. Our courses in spiritual formation and theology can also strengthen your understanding of the Christian faith. Lastly, our doctoral degree in theology and apologetics can help you develop skills in doctoral-level research and writing, theological methodology, and bibliography – all vital elements of accurate and useful scholarship.
In addition, this degree has a practical emphasis — meaning that the training you receive through our DMin program is designed to help you pursue advanced ministry leadership positions. Whether you want to start your own ministry, work in church administration, or serve as a senior pastor of a church, the DMin in Theology and Apologetics’ courses include valuable knowledge that you can use to take your career as a Christian apologist to the next level.
- APOL 810 – Miracles, the Resurrection, and Christian Ministry
- APOL 820 – Cultural Apologetics
- DSMN 815 – Personal Spiritual Formation
- THEO 810 – Theology of the Gospel
Online DMin in Theology and Apologetics Degree Program Highlights
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online DMin in Theology and Apologetics degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
You are pursuing your degree because you want to serve God and others with excellence. We want to honor that goal by making your degree as affordable as possible. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have a set block rate of $2,750 a semester if you take 7 to 15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester!
- We have replaced nearly all School of Divinity textbooks with no-cost electronic resources through the Inclusive Access initiative.* As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete your DMin degree online in as little as 2 years.
- Learn from content developed by renowned biblical studies scholars in Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- You can develop practical ministry skills that can help you connect individuals and families in your ministry to the church.
- This degree program can teach you to create powerful sermons that will move your congregation, help people grow in their faith, and assist believers as they seek a better understanding of Scripture and deeper theological truths.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Our Online Theology and Apologetics Doctorate Degree Information
- This DMin program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- You will have a choice between completing a 15-credit-hour thesis project or a 15-credit-hour portfolio.
Potential Career Options with a Doctoral Degree in Theology and Apologetics
- Ministry leader
- Pastoral counselor
- Senior pastor
- Youth minister
Admission Requirements for Our Online DMin in Theology and Apologetics Degree Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Official transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 18 graduate hours of Bible/Theology or ministry-related courses
- Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Vita
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.