Deferred Corporate Tuition Assistance Program

Some companies offer assistance with paying tuition for their employees. As you seek to further your education, check with your company to see if this kind of assistance is available.

What is the difference between standard and deferred assistance?

  • Standard Corporate Tuition Assistance means your company will be paying Liberty University directly. See more about Standard Tuition Assistance.
  • Deferred Corporate Tuition Assistance (DCTA) means you will be paying the university directly, and then receive reimbursement from your employer. Only online students are eligible for DCTA.

Contact your company’s approver for tuition assistance to determine eligibility.

  • If your company does not have an official policy, an official letter that includes a written statement on letterhead with a wet signature by an authorized company representative, verifying the student is employed and eligible is acceptable. The statement must also include details of the tuition assistance program (reimbursement limits, what charges are eligible for reimbursement, reimbursement stipulations, etc.)
  • The company must cover 100% of the account balance for the standard deferred payment plan to be approved. If your company will cover less than 100% of your account balance, the Student Accounts Office will defer only what the company will pay, and you will be responsible to pay the difference during the months leading up to the final deferred draft. Students in this situation will need to have a custom deferred payment plan authorized to be approved.
  • Your company approver must use a wet signature.
  • Submit a PDF version of the company policy (un-editable).
  • If your company policy indicates that you must pay your balance before being reimbursed by your company, you will not be eligible for DCTA.
    • Phrases on a company policy that would indicate this include: “issue paid receipts to receive reimbursement,” “provide proof of payment to receive reimbursement,” “send receipts showing a zero balance to receive reimbursement,” etc. 
    • You may be able to request an official override letter from your employer to be eligible for DCTA. An override letter must meet all previously stated document requirements.
  • Your company policy must include tuition assistance limits.
  • If your company policy does not state the annual maximum dollar amount and/or the number of credits that qualify for reimbursement, you may submit a letter from your employer on letterhead with a wet signature indicating the amount or percentage your company will reimburse per semester.

2. Complete the DCTA Application.

We review all applications, but it is at our discretion to make approvals for each student. You may be required to complete additional steps to be approved for the DCTA program. 

3. Submit completed DCTA Application and company tuition assistance policy.

  • The DCTA application and company policy are valid for the current calendar year, not the academic year. You must re-submit both documents (including override letters, if applicable) for every calendar year of enrollment. 
  • Documents must be submitted at least 5 business days before a Financial Check-In deadline
  • Please email if you have any further questions or concerns.

Submit Application for DCTA

4. Once processed and approved, a confirmation email will be sent to your Liberty University email address with instructions for completing Financial Check-In.

  • ou will have an initial draft equal to 1% of the total balance automatically drafted from your credit card or checking account provided during Financial Check-In.
  • The remaining balance will be drafted approximately 30 days after the semester ends from the account provided during Financial Check-In. You will be able to select the date of the draft during Financial Check-In. It is up to you to make sure that your company provides you with sufficient funds for the remainder of your tuition.
    • The 30-day period is provided after the course(s) are completed to allow time for grades to be submitted so that you can submit them to your employer (if needed) and arrange for tuition assistance. 
  • You are responsible to pay any amount that your company does not pay.

As long as you meet enrollment requirements and satisfy the appropriate financial aid process, you may be eligible for financial aid in addition to DCTA. 

Note: If 100% of your account balance is covered by financial aid, an application for the Deferred Corporate Tuition Assistance Payment Plan will be denied because you have to have a balance to defer. At that point, all tuition assistance reimbursement questions should be directed to your employer. 

Book Vouchers

For book voucher reimbursement eligibility, please refer to your company’s tuition assistance policy.

If you drop classes before they begin, you will be able to adjust your payment plan by going back into FCI and updating your schedule. For more information on dropping courses, please visit the course catalog.  

Depending on your employer’s reimbursement program, if you withdraw from a course(s), your expenses may no longer be eligible for reimbursement. If your course(s) will no longer be covered by your employer, you are still responsible for payment of your account balance.