Expand Your Career Opportunities with Liberty’s Online PhD in Communication Studies
Communications is a vast field that, at its core, focuses on how humans connect with one another, both verbally and nonverbally. The communications industry is constantly growing and changing as new technologies emerge, so employers need people who are up to date on the latest communication theories, methods, and strategies.
If you want to enrich your understanding of human interaction and mass communication, then a PhD in Communication is a good next step in your academic and professional journey. Liberty’s doctoral program focuses primarily on research and theory, allowing you to strengthen and enhance your knowledge of communications.
With a degree as diverse and in depth as communications, you’ll gain the skills you need to be a leader in a variety of fields and businesses. Maybe you want to advance in your current career or start your own company. Or perhaps you would like to become a researcher or college professor. Whatever your career goals are, our PhD in Communication can help you make your dreams a reality.
This online program will help deepen your passion for learning and communication. We are excited to partner with you as you continue your research and study in the field of communications.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Communication Online?
Earning a PhD in Communication is a great way to advance in your current career or to enter a new field altogether. No matter what your goals are, our PhD in Communication can provide you with a well-respected credential and research skills that are applicable to a host of professional settings, both in the public and private sector. For instance, you could teach undergraduate or graduate courses at a collegiate institution, carry out independent research, or work for a variety of businesses, agencies, and nonprofits.
As a doctorate student, you will study under professors who are experts in communication. Drawing on years of real-world experience, they can prepare you to teach at the college level or to pursue a non-academic communications career.
At Liberty, you won’t just be equipped to achieve your academic and career goals — you’ll also be fostered in biblical principles and trained to be a Champion for Christ. Our professors can help you learn how to integrate these principles into the workplace and challenge you to follow God’s calling on your life.
We believe that you can earn your degree without putting your life on hold. That’s why we’ve designed our doctoral program to be completely online, meaning you won’t have to worry about attending on-campus classes. That way, you can complete your education while still focusing on your family and your job.
You already have a high level of mastery in the field of communications. But if you are looking for a terminal degree or a degree that allows you to mix theory and innovation, then our PhD in Communication is the program for you.
What Will You Learn in Our Communications PhD Online Degree Program?
Our PhD in Communication can give you insight into the foundational principles that are behind successful communication campaigns. This program teaches invaluable knowledge and skills that can be applied to a variety of real-world roles, whether you want to work for a business, a nonprofit organization, or an institute of higher education.
With Liberty’s doctoral program, you will explore the “how” and “why” behind everyday practices used in the communications field. As well as studying various communication theories, you’ll complete practical, hands-on projects that can give you real-world practice with different communication strategies and scenarios, such as crisis communications. In addition, you will learn how to conduct in-depth research, how to assess data properly, and how to tell your company’s story more effectively than ever before.
With this degree, you will complete several courses centered around research and writing. You’ll learn how to use various industry techniques, such as insight tools and data gathering, to translate research and theory into effective field practice. Furthermore, our program can help develop your critical thinking and problem-solving skills through the use of solution-oriented literature.
Our professors will give you an in-depth look at how to effectively lead a communications team, how to use techniques for social media and video storytelling, and how to keep up with the ever-changing world of digital media. This program covers a diverse array of topics in the areas of both research and professional application, allowing you to gain a broad, in-depth skill set that can be applied to many jobs.
For instance, you’ll complete courses on qualitative research methods, donor relations, audience analysis, and contemporary issues in content communication. Since the field of communications covers a host of industries, your classes will draw on many disciplines, including business, education, and digital media studies. At the end of your online doctoral degree in communications, you will write and present a dissertation based on your own original research.
If you want to conduct in-depth research in the field of communications, our PhD program is for you. Join us and be equipped to enter a wide variety of industries and careers.
View the Degree Completion Plan and check out the featured courses of this degree below.
- DIGI 720 – Social, Mobile, and Online Media Analytics
- DIGI 825 – Seminar: From Digital Analytics to Communication Action
- DIGI 835 – Current Topics in Content Communication
- DIGI 845 – Visualization and Social Media Strategy
Highlights of Our Online Communication PhD Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online PhD in Communication degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 4 years — and counting.
- Our faculty members have years of real-world experience in the field of communications. Under their instruction, you’ll learn practical skills that can further your career.
- At Liberty, you can get a PhD in Communication in just 3 years.
PhD in Mass Communication Online Degree Information
- This program is offered in a 100% online format, allowing you to earn your degree in a way that is flexible, affordable, and conducive to your lifestyle.
- This program requires only 60 credit hours of study.
- You can transfer in up to 15 credit hours toward this degree.
- This program falls under our School of Communication and the Arts.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Communication and the Arts Course Guide (login required).
What Can You Do with a PhD in Mass Communications?
- Advertising/public relations executive
- Chief customer experience officer
- Communications executive
- Director of online sales and services
- Research manager
- Social media executive
- University administrator
- University professor
- Vice president of customer satisfaction
Admission Requirements for the Doctorate in Communication Online
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.