Defend Digital Information with an Online Computer Science Degree in Cybersecurity
Information is power, and the number of cyber threats for data theft is rapidly increasing in today’s digital world. Liberty University’s computer science cybersecurity bachelor’s degree can help equip you with the training and skills you need to fight cybercriminals, terrorists, and data breaches within your company as well as on a national and global scale. Our School of Business has designed this program to help you handle a variety of technical and ethical challenges in the computer science field.
Our seasoned professors have years of experience and are ready to share their knowledge with you as you seek to gain a firm foundation in algorithms and problem-solving. By pursuing a cyber security bachelor’s degree, you can learn how to help companies build secure networks and protect important data. Partner with us and earn a Bachelor of Science (BS) in Computer Science Cybersecurity that can help you get where you need to go.
What’s the difference between computer science and cyber security?
As you study computer science, you’ll explore the math, logic, and programming skills needed to develop software, set up secure networks, and analyze algorithms. Cyber security is a specialized subset of this field that focuses on how to protect computers and networks from cyber attacks.
Because Liberty University’s computer science program integrates cyber security studies, you’ll receive a well-rounded education that can help you prepare for a variety of challenges. Some of the topics you’ll study include:
- Database management
- Information and computer security
- Modern cryptography
- Network architecture
- Software engineering
- System administration
Why Choose Our Bachelor’s in Cybersecurity and Computer Science Online Degree?
Our computer science and cybersecurity professors have a wide range of knowledge, backgrounds, and skills. They can teach you how to overcome the challenges that arise in this industry and protect the security of our nation’s networks. Because our bachelor of cyber security is 100% online, you can pursue this degree without sacrificing time at work or with your family, church, or community.
Here’s what sets us apart:
- Affordability | While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting. Our bachelor’s in computer science online degree follows our standard undergraduate tuition rate of just $390 per credit hour for full-time students. We also offer a variety of scholarship opportunities and specialized discounts – such as a military discount – so you could potentially earn your degree for even less!
- Credibility | Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can rest assured that you’re earning your degree from a well-respected institution.
- Flexibility | Going back to school is a big decision, and we want to make the process as smooth as possible. Our 100% online, 8-week courses are designed to offer you maximum flexibility – giving you the freedom to earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
- Hands-On Training | Throughout your courses, you won’t just study topics from a textbook – you’ll complete hands-on assignments and projects that will help you put your skills to the test. If you want to go a step further to boost your résumé, you can also complete an optional internship as part of your bachelor of computer science cybersecurity. The internship can be completed at an approved location near you, so you can gain valuable experience without having to leave your area!
Liberty University has been designated a National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security Center of Academic Excellence for Cyber Defense Education (NSA/DHS CAE-CDE).
FAQs About Our Computer Science Cybersecurity Bachelor’s Degree
Can you get a computer science degree online?
Yes! If you’re excited about the idea of protecting data and engineering new software, you can prepare to do all of this and more from the comfort of your home. Liberty’s bachelor’s in cybersecurity is available 100% online with 8-week courses and no set login times – so you can complete your courses on your schedule. And, with 8 different start dates offered each year, you can start your degree whenever you’re ready.
How long does it take to get a computer science degree online?
At Liberty, we want to help you earn your degree as quickly as possible. On average, our full-time undergraduate students earn their degrees in just 3.5 years! You can also transfer in up to 75% of your total credits – allowing you to potentially finish even sooner.
What can you do with a bachelor’s in cyber security and computer science?
A cybersecurity and computer science degree can prove to be a valuable asset as you pursue a wide range of career opportunities. Here are just some of the roles you may qualify for after completing your BS in Computer Science Cyber Security degree:
- Ethical hacker/penetration tester
- Malware analyst
- Reverse engineer
- Security engineer
- Security researcher
- Security software developer
- Threat hunter
What is the salary and career outlook with a bachelor of computer science cyber security degree?
Your earnings will depend on a number of factors, such as where you live/work and how much experience you have. In general, here are some of the salaries you could pursue after earning your bachelor’s degree in cybersecurity and computer science:
- Computer network architect – $116,780*
- Computer programmer – $89,190*
- Computer systems analyst – $93,730*
- Database administrator/architect – $98,860*
- Information security analyst – $103,590*
- Software developer – $110,140*
Additionally, the demand for computer and IT professionals is expected to grow 13% from 2020 to 2030 – faster than the average for all job occupations.* That comes out to approximately 667,600 new jobs in this field!* By earning your online bachelor’s in computer science cybersecurity at Liberty, you can become equipped for exciting opportunities in this booming industry.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Computer and Information Technology Occupations (viewed online March 4, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Will this degree help me earn industry certifications?
Industry certifications are valuable credentials that can help you stand out in your field. If you already have one or more IT certifications, you may be able to earn course credit for your credentials – allowing you to finish your online bachelor’s in cybersecurity faster.
But what if you’re just getting started in this field? Or what if you already have some IT certifications but are looking to earn more? If that’s the case, we have just what you need. Many of the courses in our computer science bachelor’s degree online are designed to help prepare you for certification – so you can use the knowledge gained in this program to pursue new credentials for your career.
Is an online computer science degree respected?
As you research various cyber security schools online, you may be wondering whether an online cyber security bachelor’s degree offers the same rigor and credibility as an on-campus program. As long as you study computer science cyber security at a university that is accredited, you can be confident that your online bachelor’s in cybersecurity and computer science will hold weight as an advanced educational credential.
Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). In addition, our commitment to excellence helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America!
Not only that, but Liberty University has been designated a National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security Center of Academic Excellence for Cyber Defense Education (NSA/DHS CAE-CDE). By pursuing our computer science cybersecurity bachelor’s degree, you can receive a flexible, affordable, and high-quality education that equips you for the real world.
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor’s in Cyber Security and Computer Science Online Degree?
Throughout our online computer science and cyber security degree, you can gain skills that are essential in the computer and IT field. In this program, you’ll study topics like programming languages, data structures, and database management systems.
You can also learn how to implement and maintain complex software systems within cost boundaries and on schedule. Our online degree in computer science is designed to hone your technical, analytical, and problem-solving abilities – so you can prepare to face the unique challenges of this industry and develop creative solutions that help organizations of all sizes thrive.
Additionally, this online degree in cyber security and computer science covers important methods for fighting existing threats to computer security and equipping networks to withstand future attacks. You’ll also have room for elective courses while completing your online degree in cybersecurity and computer science. That way, you can customize your program to match your interests and goals. One option is to complete a computer science internship – giving you the chance to gain hands-on experience in your field!
Upon completing this degree in computer science online, you can be better equipped to:
- Analyze applications to solve organizational needs
- Carry out basic and advanced computer programming concepts using the C++ language
- Construct solid defenses to guard against cyber attacks
- Design and implement software that efficiently utilizes operating systems
- Implement essential cryptographic protocols to protect information from digital threats
- CSIS 112 – Advanced Programming Using C++
- CSIS 355 – Network Architecture and Protocols
- CSIS 461 – Technical Aspects of Computer Security
- CSIS 463 – Modern Cryptography
Highlights of Liberty’s BS in Computer Science Cyber Security Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 5 online schools in America. Earning your online bachelor’s degree in computer science cybersecurity from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can gain practical, hands-on experience by completing an optional internship as part of your online cyber security bachelor’s degree.
- You could earn potential college credit for your life experience through our Experience Plus program – allowing you to finish your degree faster.
- Many of the courses in our cyber security computer science program can help you prepare to pursue various IT certifications.
Online Cybersecurity Degree Information
- The online BS in Computer Science Cybersecurity falls under the School of Business.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for the Online Bachelor’s in Computer Science Cybersecurity
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Career Options with a Bachelor of Computer Science Cyber Security
Some of the roles you could pursue with an online computer science bachelor’s degree include:
- Computer networking engineer
- Computer scientist
- Information security analyst
- Network security administrator
- Operating systems engineer
- Security analyst
- Security software developer
- Software engineer
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Degree in Cyber Security and Computer Science
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.