Prepare for Success with a Liberty University Online Cyber Security Degree
Information is power and the number of cyber threats for data theft is continuing to increase in today’s digital world. Liberty University’s computer science cybersecurity bachelor’s degree will equip you with the training and skills you need to fight cybercriminals, terrorists, and data breaches within your company as well as on a national and global scale. Our School of Business has put together a program that will allow you to handle technical and ethical challenges that you will encounter in the computer science field.
Our seasoned professors have years of experience, and they are ready to share their knowledge with you as you gain a firm foundation in algorithms and problem-solving. After graduating with a cyber security bachelor’s degree, you’ll have the values, knowledge, and skills to succeed in the computer science and cybersecurity industry.
Can you get a computer science degree online?
Are you excited about the idea of working in the information technology field, protecting data, and engineering new software? You’ve probably looked at a variety of programs in computer science but want to make sure you can earn your degree without stepping away from your job or losing time with family or your church.
With Liberty University, you can! Our online computer science cybersecurity degree is 100% online. You’ll be able to complete your courses at a pace that fits with your schedule.
Computer Science vs. Cyber Security
Are you wondering why you should get a computer science degree that specializes in cyber security? With computer science, you’ll receive all the mathematics courses and programming language training you need to develop software, set up secure networks, or create a website.
Because Liberty University’s computer science program integrates cyber security, you’ll receive special training on topics like:
- Database management
- Information and computer security
- Modern cryptography
Why Choose Our Computer Science Degree Online in Cybersecurity?
Our cybersecurity professors have a wide range of knowledge, backgrounds, and skills — many with extensive military cybersecurity experience. They can teach you how to overcome the challenges that arise in this industry as well as how you can protect the security of our nation’s networks. Because our bachelor of cyber security is 100% online, you can acquire this knowledge without sacrificing time at work or with your family, church, or community.
Are online computer science degrees worth it?
You have probably been looking into computer science degree programs and wondering if they’re worth the effort and cost. Earning your cyber security bachelor’s degree is definitely worth it, and here’s why:
- Payoff — The average salary of an information security analyst with a bachelor’s degree and minimal experience is $98,000.*
- Demand — The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that between 2018 and 2028, the demand for jobs in this field will grow by 32%, which is much higher than average.*
- Credibility — Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). So you can rest assured that you’re earning your degree from a well-respected institution.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Information Security Analysts (viewed online February 6, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
How long does it take to get a computer science degree online?
At Liberty, we want to make sure you’re earning your degree as quickly as possible. On average, our full-time undergraduate students earn their degrees in just 3.5 years! And you can transfer in up to 75% of your degree total — so you could earn your degree even faster.
Liberty University has been designated a National Security Agency and Department of Homeland Security Center of Academic Excellence for Cyber Defense Education (NSA/DHS CAE-CDE) for the B.S. in Information Technology — Data Networking and Security. Other programs, including the Bachelor of Science in Computer Science Cybersecurity, will be submitted for this designation within the next 2 years.
What Will You Learn in the Liberty University Cyber Security Degree?
Throughout our online computer science cyber security degree, you will learn skills that are essential in the information sciences field. You will begin your education by exploring programming, information sciences and systems, and computer sciences.
You will also gain the knowledge to implement and maintain complex software systems within cost boundaries and on schedule as well as what it takes to keep information safe from hackers and cyber attacks. Your professors will develop your analytical and interpreting ability as you design and conduct experiments within the computer science arena.
The primary goal of our online B.S. in Computer Science Cybersecurity is to develop Christ-centered men and women who possess the values, knowledge, and skills needed to go out and make a positive impact in computer science-related industries.
- CSIS 112 – Advanced Programming
- CSIS 355 – Network Architecture and Protocols
- CSIS 461 – Technical Aspects of Cybersecurity
- CSIS 463 – Modern Cryptography
Computer Science Online Cybersecurity Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Business.
- View the cyber security Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Business Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options
- Computer networking engineer
- Computer scientist
- Information security analyst
- Network security administrator
- Operating systems engineer
- Security analyst
- Security software developer
- Software engineer
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- Potential college credit for military training
- 8-week courses, with 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Highlights of Liberty’s Cyber Security Undergraduate Degree
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-$2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online bachelor’s degree in computer science cybersecurity from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
Admission Requirements for the Online Computer Science Degree
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.