Build on Your Knowledge of the Past with Liberty’s Online Executive Certificate in History
Do you want to dig deeper into history scholarship but are not ready to start a PhD program? Liberty University’s 100% online Executive Certificate in History allows you to study history at the doctoral level while giving you the opportunity to complete a PhD later.
Our executive certificate programs are designed to align with Liberty’s PhD programs. This format allows you to transfer the 21 credit hours from the Executive Certificate in History into the PhD in History. You can build on your graduate studies in history, gain a new area of study, or even work toward requirements for teaching licensure.
Perfect for Military Benefits
If you have served in the military, we want to go above and beyond to show you our gratitude. That’s why we designed our 21-credit-hour certificates to work especially well for your benefits. These programs are designed to maximize your tuition assistance by allowing you to earn additional postgraduate-level credit without using your GI Bill® benefits.*
All credits in these certificates count toward a corresponding doctoral program, so you have a clear path forward if you want to pursue a degree. Each certificate can stand on its own as a professional development credential and give you the flexibility to start a doctoral degree whenever you’re ready. It’s one more way we show our appreciation.
Why Choose Liberty’s Executive Certificate in History?
Liberty University’s online Executive Certificate in History is the best path forward if you want to engage in doctoral-level studies in history but are not prepared to pursue a full PhD program. With 21 credit hours in advanced history studies, you will build on your master’s-level academic studies and earn a certificate credential that can open new doors for your career. With the ability to earn your executive certificate in as little as 4 semesters, you will be well on your way to completing a PhD within a 3-year total time frame.
At Liberty, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. That means each of your professors will provide a balanced approach to historical context – rooted in a biblical worldview. Your professors are professionals who have doctoral degrees in history or a related field and have experience engaging in sound scholarship.
Each course in our Executive Certificate in History is 100% online, 8-weeks in length, with no set login times. This flexibility allows you to pursue your certificate while maintaining your commitments to your family, career, and community.
What Will You Learn in Our Executive Certificate in History?
When you pursue our Executive Certificate in History, you’ll learn historical concepts and how to educate others from an ethical and historically sound perspective. Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to do the following:
- Apply a Christian worldview to the study of history
- Apply historical methodology to professional settings
- Conduct original research that is based on current knowledge in the field
- Evaluate historiographic positions, like scholarly literature and interpretations, at the doctoral level
- HIST 501 – Historical Methods
- HIST 602 – Historiography
- HIST 701 – Historical Professions
- HIST 705 – Public History or HIST 820 – Teaching History Online
- HIST 711 – Development of Western Freedoms
- HIUS 530 – American Christian Heritage
- HIUS 713 – American Entrepreneurship Since 1900
Highlights of Our Executive Certificate in History
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online Executive Certificate in History from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years – and counting.
- Liberty’s state-of-the-art digital resources and full-time research assistants will provide you with everything you need to engage in top-tier scholarly research.
- This program is offered in an 8-week course format with 8 different start dates each year and no set login times!
Executive Certificate in History
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Executive Certificates
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $300 per credit hour for postgraduate courses
- Maximize tuition assistance without having to use GI Bill® benefits*
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times
Please note: The $300/credit hour doctoral military rate cannot be combined with the First Responder Discount.
Career Opportunities for Executive Certificate in History Graduates
- 6-12 licensed history teacher*
- Historical writer and commentator
- Museum curator
- University professor
Some of these occupations may require that you have a PhD. That’s why Liberty created Executive Certificates that can seamlessly transfer into one of our corresponding PhD programs. So if you are looking to further your studies after completing your Executive Certificate in History, you will be able to transfer all 21 credits into our PhD in History!
*This role may require additional steps for licensure. See your state’s Department of Education website for details.
Admission Requirements for the Executive Certificate in History
A regionally or nationally accredited doctoral or master’s degree in history or a related field** with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee***
- Official college transcripts indicating successful completion of a doctorate or master’s in history or a related field**
- Proof of English proficiency
**Examples include but are not limited to: public or applied history, social sciences, political science, philosophy, government, international relations, geography, English, theology, church history, economics, a Master of Business Administration (MBA), museum studies, and library sciences.
***There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government website at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.