Become a Professional Historian with a Ph.D. in History
Are you interested in a career in education, research, politics, archaeology, or management of national landmarks and museums? Whatever your history-related career goals are, Liberty University’s Ph.D. in History can provide the theoretical background, research, and writing experience you’ll need to excel in either academic or non-academic career fields related to humanities and social sciences.
When you complete your doctorate in history, you can be prepared to pursue a variety of career opportunities. You might join the world of academia as a professor, professional researcher, or publisher. Or you could pursue a position as a museum curator, international development specialist, author, archaeologist, or federal government employee.
Academics and many other career fields need people like you who are knowledgeable about the undercurrents, culture, and societal standards surrounding historical events. Prepare to excel in whichever career field you choose when you pursue our doctoral degree in history.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Ph.D. in History?
When you choose Liberty, you’re choosing to pursue a degree from an accredited university, with Christ-centered curriculum, flexible course scheduling, and affordable rates. Our goal is to provide you with academic excellence that is grounded in faith and consistent support throughout your academic journey.
Liberty University holds accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means we have earned accreditation that demands high academic standards. Employers can have confidence in your knowledge and abilities gained through the program, and you can know that your degree will benefit both your personal and professional life.
At Liberty, our mission is Training Champions for Christ. That means each of your professors is a Christian who incorporates a biblical worldview into every course. Your professors are professionals who have doctoral degrees in history or a related field. You can complete our Ph.D. in History online, with 8-week courses and no set login times. This flexibility allows you to pursue your degree while maintaining your commitments to your family, career, community, and church.
What Will You Learn in Our Ph.D. in History Online Degree?
When you pursue our doctorate in history, you’ll learn historical concepts and how to educate others from a Christian perspective. Upon successful completion of this program, you will be able to do the following:
- Conduct original research that is based upon knowledge of the literature of the discipline
- Evaluate historiographic positions, like scholarly literature and interpretations, at the doctoral level
- Apply historical methodology to professional settings
- Apply a Christian worldview to the study of history
View the Degree Completion Plan and our featured courses below to learn more about what you’ll be studying.
- HIST 701 – Historical Professions
- HIST 705 – Public History
- HIST 711 – Development of Western Freedoms
- HIUS 713 – American Entrepreneurship since 1900
Highlights of Our Ph.D. in History Online Degree
- By earning your Ph.D. in History degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 4 years – and counting.
- This program is offered in an 8-week course format, with 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times!
- You will benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from around the country.
- The Ph.D. in History is the first program of its kind offered from a conservative Christian, accredited university.
- Your degree requires experience both inside and outside the classroom, helping you to be fully prepared for any professional setting you choose.
Similar Online Degree Programs
Ph.D. in History Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Career Opportunities for Ph.D. in History Online Graduates
- Academic publisher
- Federal government employee
- Higher education administrator
- International development specialist
- Museum curator
- Professional researcher
Admission Requirements for Doctoral Degrees
A regionally or nationally accredited doctoral or master’s degree in history, or a related field*, with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee**
- Official college transcripts indicating successful completion of a doctorate or master’s in history or a related field*
- Proof of English proficiency
*Examples include but are not limited to: public or applied history, social sciences, political science, philosophy, government, international relations, geography, English, theology, church history, economics, a Master of Business Administration (MBA), museum studies, and library sciences.
**There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.