Increase Your Knowledge of Christian Literature as You Develop Marketable Writing Skills with Our Online English and Writing Degree
It has been said that to be a good writer, you must read voraciously. To develop your skills, you need to examine the works of great writers with a critical eye and learn from them. Liberty’s Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in English and Writing – Christian Literature combines your love of Christian literature with marketable writing and creative thinking skills. Whether you are interested in teaching, professional writing, or working in the world of social media and marketing, you can gain the necessary skills for a variety of fields.
Our Christian literature specialization will allow you to examine important works from great Christian writers throughout history. As you study Christian literature, you can develop useful skills in research, technical writing, grant writing, and creative writing. Additionally, you can learn about other major non-Christian writers to round out your education.
This English and writing program offers you the chance to further expand your knowledge and skills with up to 33 credit hours of electives. This will give you the chance to enhance your writing skills in a certain field or further your knowledge of various areas that may supplement your writing ability. Prepare to take the next step in your career by earning your bachelor’s degree with us today!
Why Choose Liberty’s English and Writing Degree?
When you pursue a degree in Christian literature at Liberty, you’ll have the benefit of studying at a university that has partnered with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist Karen Kingsbury to develop some of our creative writing courses. With online networking opportunities, professional mentorship, and courses taught from a biblical worldview, the Liberty experience is an investment in your success.
Additionally, Liberty University is accredited through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). This means you can trust that the knowledge and skills you acquire throughout your degree program are of the highest quality.
At Liberty, our mission is to Train Champions for Christ – so biblical principles, values, and ethics will be integrated into every area of your educational experience. We take your priorities — like your job, family, and social life — into account when developing our online programs. Our 8-week course options are designed to work with your schedule, so you can continue to do the things that are important to you as you pursue your degree online.
What Will You Learn in Our B.S. in English and Writing – Christian Literature Online Degree?
With a bachelor’s degree in Christian literature, you’ll be able to gain marketable skills in critical thinking, writing, and analysis. In addition to taking courses that can help strengthen the critical and creative aspects of your writing, you will have the opportunity to focus your studies in Christian literature.
You will study literary works that stretch over 2,000 years of Christian history. This degree covers early Christian writers, modern writers, and a broad range of literature that is shaped by the Christian worldview. You will also read selected texts from 19th- through 21st-century Christian writers on the struggle between good and evil.
No Christian literature program would be complete without focusing on 2 of the greatest Christian authors of the last century: C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. Many students are familiar with Narnia and The Lord of the Rings but have not read these authors’ other pieces. Our Christian literature program will explore a wide variety of works to help expand your literary knowledge.
As you study Christian literature, you can also enhance your writing abilities and gain editing skills for publishing while learning creative writing, grant writing, and technical writing. You can develop critical thinking skills as you strengthen your knowledge of Christian literature. Every course you take will be presented through a Christian worldview, so you can learn how to integrate biblical values and ethics into your career.
- ENGL 360 – Christian Fantasy Literature*
- ENGL 405 – Literature of the Bible*
- ENGL 460 – Christian Literature
- ENGL 465 – Lewis and Tolkien*
*Course guide coming soon
Highlights of Our Christian Literature Online English Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online English and writing degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University has partnered with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist Karen Kingsbury to create the Karen Kingsbury Center for Creative Writing. Your curriculum includes content developed by Karen Kingsbury herself.
- Liberty University holds institutional accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
B.S. in English and Writing Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online Undergraduate Programs
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Potential Career Opportunities for B.S. in English and Writing – Christian Literature Graduates
- Independent author
- Professional blogger
- Professional writer
- Teacher (non-licensure)
Admission Requirements for Our Undergraduate Online Degree in Writing and Literature
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.