Learn the Art of Composition with Our Online Creative Writing Degree
Do you dream of becoming an author? Do you desire to have your characters and stories come to life on the page? With our creative writing degree online, this could become a reality. Our program is designed with your success in mind − partner with Liberty and pursue your goal of becoming a talented writer! With our degree in creative writing, you can explore different tools and ideas for mastering your craft so that you can be better equipped to enter the writing field with the very best training. As you complete your writing courses, you can foster writing disciplines that are effective and conducive to an exciting career in writing.
One benefit of our associate degree in creative writing is that you will have the opportunity to learn from New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist, Karen Kingsbury. Karen has contributed course content to this degree, providing first-hand training in all areas of interest. We are proud to partner with her through our Karen Kingsbury Center for Creative Writing. Learn from Karen Kingsbury’s 3 decades of professional writing experience in areas like constructing and resourcing your writing. With our online degree in creative writing, you will explore the techniques, thought processes, and skills needed to write short stories, novellas, and creative literature as a whole.
Why Choose Our A.A. in Creative Writing?
We know that flexibility is important when choosing an online creative writing program. That is why our A.A. in Creative Writing is offered 100% online with no set login times. Earn your degree from the comfort of home and partner with Liberty as you take the next step in your creative writing career.
We believe that you shouldn’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. At Liberty, our professors have years of experience and advanced degrees in their field. The dedication our faculty has to provide a comprehensive and valuable education is unparalleled. Not only that, but our professors will also pray for you and mentor you, fulfilling our mission of Training Champions for Christ. In addition, Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), so you can be confident that you are receiving a world-class education.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Associate Degree in Creative Writing?
When you pursue our online writing degree, you will take writing courses that cover material including:
- Editing, layout, and research
- How to analyze visual and verbal texts
- Methods of writing, reasoning, and sound argumentation
- The process of publishing
While you master these concepts, your instructors will gauge your work and provide feedback so that you are able to improve as a writer. When you complete your online degree in writing, you can be more prepared to pursue a wide range of writing projects and careers.
As you learn different processes and techniques, our professors desire to help you realize your God-given passion for writing. The courses in your degree are designed to challenge and refine your creative writing process so that you are career-ready upon graduation.
- ENGL 102 – Composition and Literature
- WRIT 201 – Introduction to Creative Writing
- WRIT 305 – Introduction to Inspirational Writing
- WRIT 400 – Editing for Publishing
Degree Information for Our Associate of Arts in Creative Writing
- Our A.A. in Creative Writing falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
Benefits of the A.A. in Creative Writing from Liberty University
We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University has partnered with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist, Karen Kingsbury, to create the Karen Kingsbury Center for Creative Writing.
- You can complete our creative writing associate degree in as little as 1.5 years.
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Potential Career Options with an Associate Degree in Creative Writing
When you graduate from Liberty’s associate degree in creative writing, you can pursue a wide variety of careers, including:
- Web content writer
No matter which career you pursue, your education at Liberty can be a valuable asset to many employers. In addition, the average salary for writers and authors is $67,120, which is higher than the median salary in the United States.* With skills in copywriting, editing, and creative writing and an understanding of publishing, you can be more prepared for your writing career.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Writers and authors (viewed online January 14, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.