Learn the Art of Composition with an Associate Degree in Creative Writing
Do you dream of being a writer? Writers are more than just novelists. They are involved in the business processes behind their writing, as well. Possessing an understanding of writing concepts, publishing, advertising, and web content is crucial for your success as a writer. By pursuing Liberty’s Associate of Arts in Creative Writing degree, you can receive the training you need to be successful in any field you choose.
An exciting part of our associate degree in creative writing is that you will have the opportunity to learn from New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist, Karen Kingsbury. Karen has contributed course content to this degree, providing first-hand training in all areas of interest. We are proud to partner with Karen through our Karen Kingsbury Center for Creative Writing.
Learn from Karen’s three decades of professional writing experience in areas like constructing and resourcing your writing. Our online associate degree in creative writing provides the educational experience for you to develop and explore your writing skills while simultaneously preparing you for a future bachelor’s degree. If you want to write meaningful stories, novellas, and other forms of fiction, then consider pursuing our creative writing degree.
Why Choose Our AA in Creative Writing?
Liberty’s creative writing associate degree is offered completely online, giving you the opportunity to remain active in your job, with your family, and in your community without the worry of having to take courses on campus. Liberty University holds accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC), which means your degree and résumé will be well-respected by employers.
At Liberty University, our goal is to prepare you to be a Champion for Christ. That is why we are committed to helping you hone your skills so that you can create amazing stories and influence lives with your writing.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Associate Degree in Creative Writing?
In our online creative writing courses, you will gain an understanding of the publication process through collaboration with your classmates and analyzing visual and verbal texts. You will learn the basics of analytical reading, informed reasoning, effective writing, and sound argumentation. Besides learning the literary components, complexity, and craft of creative writing, you will also study the history and practice of inspirational writing. You will gain a working knowledge of the fundamentals of editing, layout, and publishing. You will also learn the skills of research and bibliographic methods necessary for successful creative writing.
Upon successful completion of our online associate degree in creative writing, you will be able to conduct in-depth textual research and use your writing talents to bring honor to the calling God has placed on your life. Our goal is that you will be able to write clearly and persuasively as you use your gifts and talents to serve your community, your church, and the world around you.
- ENGL 102 – Composition and Literature
- WRIT 201 – Introduction to Creative Writing
- WRIT 305 – Introduction to Inspirational Writing
- WRIT 400 – Editing, Layout, and Publishing
Degree Information for our Associate of Arts in Creative Writing
- Our A.A. in Creative Writing falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times times
- Potential college credit for military training
Benefits of the A.A. in Creative Writing from Liberty University
Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 5 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University has partnered with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist, Karen Kingsbury, to create the Karen Kingsbury Center for Writing.
- Utilize a maximum amount of transfer credit so you can earn your degree faster!
- You can complete our creative writing associate degree in less than 2 years.
Admission Requirements for Online Undergraduate Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- A High School Self-Certification form
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.
Potential Career Options with an Associate Degree in Creative Writing
- Creative writer intern
- Web content writer