Ph.D. in Theology and Apologetics
All admission requirements must be received by May 1st in order to be reviewed for acceptance into the upcoming academic year.
1. Apply online or download graduate application
2. $50.00 Deferred application fee (Assessed during financial check in)
3. Official college transcripts.
4. TOEFL scores for students who speak English as a second language (score of 600 paper-based test; 250 computer-based test; 80 internet-based test)
5. Regionally or nationally accredited bachelor's and master's degree with at least a 3.25 GPA for admission in good standing.
6. Official transcript(s) including one of the following Divinity degrees:
- Master of Divinity
- Master of Theology with a thesis
- Master of Arts with a thesis
7. The PhD in Theology and Apologetics requires students to submit a Miller’s Analogies Test (MAT) score report that is no more than two years old. If the student has not taken the MAT but has taken the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) within the last two years, they will accept that instead. If the GRE scores are more than two years old, the student is required to take the MAT. If the student has taken the MAT but it is more than two years old, they will be required to take it again.
8. Three recommendations (two academic from Graduate level, 1 pastoral). Recommendations must be on letterhead and must be signed by the recommending party.
- For the pastoral recommendation, use this form.
9. Personal statement, Doctrinal Agreement and Honor Code document.
10. Writing sample (30 page in Turabian format, may use a chapter from the master's thesis if chapter meets the 30 page minimum, student may choose subject but preferably one relating to Theology and Apologetics)
11. Professional vita
12. A Letter of Intent at least 300 words explaining the student's purpose for pursing the program and shows the student's willingness to complete the course requirements and participate in the classes.
Official college transcript policy
An acceptable official college transcript is one that has been issued directly from the institution, and is in a sealed envelope with a signature across the back. If you have one in your possession, it must still be in its original sealed envelope with a signature across the back.
Call: (800) 424-9595 (toll free); (434) 582-7800 (direct)
Fax: (888) 301-3577
Please send all official college transcripts to:
Liberty University Online Admissions Verification
1971 University Blvd.
Lynchburg, VA 24515
Back to Ph.D. in Theology & Apologetics