Army Tuition Assistance (ArmyIgnitED)
Below is a snapshot of what Army Tuition Assistance (ArmyIgnitED) will cover. To determine your eligibility, please check out the full eligibility requirements posted on the ArmyIgnitED website or contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) directly.
- May cover up to $250 per credit hour
- Fiscal year cap of $4,000
- Maximum of 16 credit hours may be covered per fiscal year
- Soldiers are limited to 130 credit hours to complete one bachelor’s degree and 39 credit hours to complete one master’s degree
- Post-graduate degrees typically do not qualify for Army Tuition Assistance
- One certificate program may be approved for Army Tuition Assistance
Important note about registration: Army students should make all enrollment changes with Liberty University directly.
How to Request ArmyIgnitED Tuition Assistance
If you have not yet set up your account with ArmyIgnitED, your first step is to visit the ArmyIgnitED website and follow the “Get Started” steps.
On August 29, 2022, the Army will be releasing the new ArmyIgnitED 2.0 portal. All fiscal year 2023 Army TA requests, for courses beginning on or after October 1, 2022, must be requested through the new ArmyIgnitED portal. The new web address for ArmyIgnitED is www.armyignited.army.mil. To prepare for the new ArmyIgnitED portal, please take the following steps:
- A degree completion plan, or student degree plan, will be needed to set up your new Army education file. Access your Degree Completion Plan inside of the Course Registration portal, and select the “Degree Completion” tab at the top of the page. Save the page as a PDF file for use in the ArmyIgnitED 2.0 onboarding process. You will need a copy of this document in order to request Army Tuition Assistance. For additional guidance on this process, please visit our how to guides.
- Set up your ArmyIgnitED Account. On August 29th, you will be able to create an ArmyIgnitED account. You can visit the new ArmyIgnitED website at armyignited.army.mil and click “Login.” This will register your CAC to the upgraded ArmyIgnitED. You will only need the URL and your CAC. Please visit or contact your local Education Center if you need assistance.
- Submit an Education Goal. Once you have set up an ArmyIgnitED account, please follow the below steps to submit an Education Goal.
Step 1: Click on Educational Goals
Click on “Education Goals” on the left side menu or “Create New Goal” near the bottom of the homepage.
Step 2: Select your education goal type.
If you see N/A by the goal you are trying to create that means you are ineligible for that degree level. Soldiers can hover over the goal and they will see the reason why they are ineligible. If this is in error, please contact your S1 to get your civilian education level updated in your record. In the meantime, Soldiers could contact their Education Center, provide correct documentation (transcript), and request that an Education Counselor do a one-day update of the civilian education level.
Step 3: Select Liberty University as your Academic Institution.
Enter Liberty University name and select from the drop-down list. You can also enter your LU ID. Click “Next”.
Step 4: Select a Degree Program.
Liberty University has uploaded all degree programs we offer. There is a keyword search to help find your degree program. If you do not see the degree program you are pursuing, please email ArmyTA@liberty.edu to have the degree program loaded to the portal. Select the Degree Program from the drop-down list, click “Next”.
Step 5: Upload your Evaluated Degree Plan.
You can request an Evaluated Degree Plan by emailing email@example.com. If you do not currently have an Evaluated Degree Plan, check the box that states, “No Degree Plan File”, click “Next”. (If you did not attach an official Evaluated Degree when you created your Education Goal, you will need to provide the Evaluated Degree Plan in PDF to your Education Center to be added to your account to continue using tuition assistance after completing two classes).
Step 6: Enter total required credits for your degree level if not already loaded.
Liberty University has already loaded the number of credits required for the degree. If you are uploading an Evaluated Degree Plan, you can update the transferred credits in the “Previous Credits” field. If the credits you enter are in Quarter Hours, check the “Yes” box. Click “Submit Goal”.
Step 7: Review & Approval/Disapproval.
Once you submit your education goal, it is sent to your Education Center for review. Once approved or disapproved, you will receive a message in your student message section. Once your education goal is approved, you may apply for tuition assistance.
The Army has communicated that they will continue to work with soldier-students and the schools to work through any challenges that occurred before or during this transition. Liberty University’s Office of Military Affairs is available to assist you with this transition, so we encourage you to reach out for support, by phone, (855) 355-4947, or by email, ArmyTA@liberty.edu.