Army Tuition Assistance (ArmyIgnitED)
Below is a snapshot of what Army Tuition Assistance (ArmyIgnitED) will cover. To determine your eligibility, please check out the full eligibility requirements posted on ArmyIgnitED website or contact your Education Services Officer (ESO) directly.
- May cover up to $250 per credit hour
- Fiscal year cap of $4,000
- Maximum of 16 credit hours may be covered per fiscal year
- Soldiers are limited to 130 credit hours to complete one bachelor’s degree and 39 credit hours to complete one master’s degree
- Post-graduate degrees typically do not qualify for Army Tuition Assistance
- One certificate program may be approved for Army Tuition Assistance
Important note about registration: Army students should make all enrollment changes with Liberty University directly.
How to Request ArmyIgnitED Tuition Assistance
If you have not yet set up your account with ArmyIgnitED, your first step is to visit the ArmyIgnitED website and follow the “Get Started” steps.
If you already have an account set up, Education Path, and have registered for courses, please skip to Step Five: Request Tuition Assistance.
Step 1: Create an Education Path
- To create an Education Path, click the Education Path tab.
- Click the Add Education Path button.
- You will create an Education Path by completing four steps. On the Review Information step, review your account information for accuracy. Click the next arrow at the bottom of the page to proceed to the next step.
- On the Choose Level step, select which education level you would like to pursue. Click the next arrow at the bottom of the page.
- A popup window displays letting you know that your request will be placed on hold. Click Proceed to move to the next step in the process.
- On the Choose Study step, type in the text box which area of study you are interested in pursuing. Then press Enter to begin narrowing choices.
- After you make your selection, click the Next Arrow to proceed to the final step.
- On the Choose Institution step, type in the text box which Education Institution you would like to attend. You can search by Education Institution name or by the state in which it is located.
- Information about the Education Institution populates. Click Select to confirm your selection.
- Click the Next Arrow to confirm your selection. Clicking Remove will deselect the Education Institution and allow you to select another. You can only select one Education Institution at a time.
- On the My Education Path Summary page, you can review your selections and correct any incorrect information before clicking Submit for Approval. Click Submit for Approval.
If your Education Path request is approved, you will receive an email.
Upon approval, your Army Education Counselor will automatically send your Education Path to the indicated Education Institution.
After the Education Institution is notified of your Education Path request, they will send you an application to complete for their school.
Once the application has been completed and returned, the Education Institution will notify you of their admissions decision.
If your Education Path is rejected, you will need to revise your Education Path based on the instructions provided in the message you receive from your Army Education Counselor.
Create a Special Program Path
Soldiers who are not enrolled in a traditional degree program will need to create a Special Program Path. Examples of special programs include the Specialized Chaplain Certificate, Prerequisite classes for Army In-Service Career Advancement Programs, and Prerequisite Classes for a Graduate Program.
- To create a Special Program Path, click the Program Path tab.
- Click the Add Special Program Path button.
- You will create a Special Program Path by completing four steps. On the Review Information step, review your account information for accuracy. Click the Next Arrow at the bottom of the page to proceed to the next step.
- On the Choose Program step, select which special program you would like to pursue. Once you have made a selection, click the Next Arrow at the bottom of the page.
- On the Choose Institution step, type in the text box which Education Institution you would like to attend. You can search by Education Institution name or by the state in which it is located. Press Enter.
- Information about the Education Institution populates. Click Select to confirm your selection. Click the Next Arrow to confirm your selection.
- On the Upload Documents step, you must upload the signed Memorandum for Record from your Army Commander. This document is required for you to pursue a Special Program and can be downloaded from this page. Once the form is completed and signed, click Upload File. Then click Next.
- On the Special Program Path Summary page, you can review your selections and correct any incorrect information before clicking Submit for Approval. Click Submit for Approval.
Your Special Program Path request was submitted to your Army Education Counselor for approval. Click View your Special Program Path.
- If your Special Program request is approved, you will receive both an email and inbox notification.
- Upon approval, you can enroll in courses at an Education Institution to being your Special Program.
Step 2: View your Education Path
To access your Education Path, click the Education Path tab.
The Education Path tab displays all requests and completed Education Paths, including the status of each. Scroll down to view the page.
- Clicking Edit allows you to revisit your Education Path request and make any changes, as needed. Once the Education Path is re-submitted, your Army Education Counselor will be notified and will need to re-review the request.
- Clicking View Courses allows you to view all of the courses for which you have requested Tuition Assistance, as well as your Cumulative Army TA GPA.
- Clicking View SDP allows you to view your current Student Degree Plan and any previous Student Degree Plans.
Step 3: Register for Courses
This helpful tutorial video will walk you through the registration process. Take a few minutes to watch it, then follow the simple steps below. (Please choose the appropriate semester each time you register.)
- Go to the registration tool
- Select “Register for (Semester) Courses”
- Enter the program code and number for each course you want (Example Subject: Code = UNIV; Course Number =104)
- Select “Search”
- Select the course that’s available during the dates you want (listed under “Time”)
- Select “Register for this course”
- Repeat for all other courses
- Celebrate — you’re on your way to earning your degree!
Step 4: View Courses and Student Degree Plan
1-2 Days after registration
On the Education Path tab, click the My Courses sub tab to display your courses.
This page allows you to view all of the courses for which you have requested Tuition Assistance, as well as your Cumulative Army TA GPA. You can also take action on a withdrawal. You can review the following information on this page:
- Course information (i.e., Grade, Grade Reason, if it was TA funded)
- Financial assistance information (i.e., Billed amount, Course Cost, Tuition Assistance, Student Cost)
- Rejection Information (if applicable)
View the Student Degree Plan
On the Education Path, click the Student Degree Plan sub tab.
The Student Degree Plan sub tab displays current and previous Student Degree Plans. To view a specific Student Degree Plan, click View SDP.
The Student Degree Plan will populate. You can scroll to review the entire page.
Step 5: Request Tuition Assistance
Once your Education Path has been approved, you can start the process of requesting Tuition Assistance. Click the Education Path tab.
Click Request Tuition Assistance on the approved Education Path.
Select the courses at the Education Institution where you are currently enrolled that you want to request Tuition Assistance for by selecting the courses within the first section.
You may also upload supporting documentation to your request. This is optional.
Click Submit Request to submit your request for Tuition Assistance.
Review the information for the courses for which you are requesting Tuition Assistance. If all of the information is correct, click Confirm.
- If your selected courses are not at your home school, your request will require a Counselor review.
- If the courses selected are on your Student Degree Plan with your Education Institution, your request will be automatically approved.
- Clicking Cancel will return you to the previous page and allow you to re-select the courses for which you want to request Tuition Assistance.
After confirmation, your Tuition Assistance request will be submitted. Click Done.
You will receive a determination email if your request was approved or denied. The following are possible reasons for denial:
- CIV Ed Level Mismatch – Your Education Institution and Education Pathway do not match.
- The information you provided for your Tuition Assistance request is incorrect.
- There is a hold on your account.
- Other – A more detailed description of the reason for denial will be included with this option.
Step 6: Complete Financial Check-In (FCI)
You can verify that your TA has been posted to your account by completing Financial Check-In. Financial Check-In is the final step in the enrollment process and must be completed before you can start courses. Please review our Financial Check-In Guide for more information on this process.