Military Deployment

Tips for Success
Before Deployment
After Deployment

Liberty University greatly appreciates your service and the sacrifices you make daily to secure our freedom. When you are faced with a deployment or unexpected duty, we have a process in place to assist you.  If you find that your duty may have an impact on your academic progress, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so that we may help you through this process, both before and after your deployment.

If you are going to Basic Training, please go to our Initial Active Duty/Entry Training page.

Before Deployment:

Step 1: Contact Your Professor

Our professors are aware of the issues that face our military students and can often work with you by giving extensions or assigning work so you can complete the course while fulfilling your military obligation. After speaking to your professor, if sufficient time cannot be granted due to the course structure, you will want to consider pursuing a military withdrawal from your course.

Step 2: Review Your Options

If you are unable to continue your course and cannot work with your professor to satisfy the course requirements, please contact an Academic Advisor to discuss the possibility and details of withdrawing from your course.

Things to consider when withdrawing from a course:

  • Withdrawing will result in a percentage of tuition being assessed based on the date of withdrawal from the course.
  • Your Education Office may recoup Tuition Assistance funds used for your course.
  • You may be subject to Debt Management with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs if you used GI Bill® benefits for your course.
  • Grade of ‘W’ will be assigned and will appear on your academic transcript (this will not affect your GPA).
  • Withdrawing from a course will not affect your university-given military benefits (i.e. Tuition Discounts).
  • Withdrawing may affect your ability to use Financial Aid Title IV funds in future terms (Pell Grant, Student Loans, etc…) according to SAP policy.

Note: If you are approved a military withdrawal, you will receive a full refund of tuition and your SAP standing will not be affected. See Steps 3-4 for more details on how to request a military withdrawal.

Step 3: Request the Withdrawal

When you are ready to request your withdrawal, you will need to contact a Withdrawal Specialist to process the Intent to Withdraw form. If possible, you will want to call and speak with a Withdrawal Specialist over the phone at (855) 466-9218. They can also be contacted by email at

*Special note for GoArmyEd Students*

  • If you use the GoArmyEd portal for your Tuition Assistance you will need to withdraw from your course on the GoArmyEd portal. Your withdrawal will then automatically be sent to Liberty University and we will process your request.
  • Please note that if you are enrolled in a course in a later subterm, you may also need to submit the Intent to Withdraw Form with Liberty if you intend to remain enrolled in your other courses.

Step 4: Submit Documentation for a Military Withdrawal

If the reason for your withdrawal is due to military reasons, you may request an appeal for a military withdrawal to be reviewed, in which all tuition charges are waived for the course. In order for an appeal to be reviewed, you are required to submit supporting military documentation to the Office of Military Affairs.

  • Supporting documentation includes a copy of your military orders or a letter from your commanding officer for review. We request these documents be submitted within 2-3 days of requesting a military withdrawal. These documents must be official and specific enough to indicate the dates of your deployment or duty.
  • Please send documents to the Military Affairs Office by email: or by fax: (434) 455-1287.

*Special Note for GoArmyEd Students*

  • You are typically not required to submit military documentation to Liberty University for a military withdrawal to be reviewed. When you submit your request to withdraw through the GoArmyEd portal, they will review your withdrawal request at that time to determine if it is for military reasons. You will be advised by GoArmyEd if any supporting documentation will be required for them to make a determination regarding your withdrawal request.

Step 5: Follow Up on Your Benefits

Tuition Assistance

  • If you are utilizing military Tuition Assistance, please contact your local Education Office and notify them of your change in enrollment. Many Education Offices will need to get a copy of your orders or require other documents in order to avoid recoupment of your Tuition Assistance funds.

GI Bill

  • If you are utilizing GI Bill benefits, we will report your change in academic status to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for you. You will receive correspondence directly from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs regarding the effect your change in status may have on your GI Bill benefits.

Back to top

After Deployment

Step 1: Contact Academic Advising to Continue Your Education

Step 2: Request to be Reinstated in Your Program

If you have broken enrollment in the program due to your deployment, we can have you reinstated under your original degree plan. Please send an email to requesting your academic status be reinstated.  Your deployment orders or other military documents should be submitted to verify your inactivity due to deployment.

Step 3: Contact the Student Veterans Group

The mission of the Student Veterans Group is to provide fellowship for student veterans, to support new student veterans in coordination with Liberty’s Military Affairs Office and to create veteran-oriented Christian service opportunities.

Back to top

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at