When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.
Apply Give

Military Withdrawals

When a student is removed from a course after the add/drop period, the registration change is processed as a withdrawal. Students with qualifying military reasons for the withdrawal may be able to appeal for a Military Withdrawal, which, if approved, will waive the tuition charges associated with the withdrawn course.

Standard Withdrawals

The below implications apply to all withdrawals (asking to be removed from a course after the add/drop period):

  • For online students, withdrawing will result in a percentage of tuition being assessed based on the date of withdrawal from the course.
  • For residential students, all billing hours will remain on the student’s account for withdrawn courses and no refund will be issued.
  • Withdrawing from a course will not affect your university-given military benefits (i.e. Tuition Discounts).
  • Your Education Office may recoup Tuition Assistance funds used for your course.
  • You may be subject to Debt Management with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs if you used GI Bill® benefits for your course.
  • Grade of ‘W’ will be assigned and will appear on your academic transcript (this will not affect your GPA).
  • Withdrawing may affect your ability to use Financial Aid Title IV funds in future terms (Pell Grant, Student Loans, etc…) according to SAP policy.*

Military Withdrawals

Military Withdrawals can be granted through an appeal supported by specific military documentation and will allow the tuition charges for the withdrawn course to be waived if the appeal is approved. Students that are approved a military withdrawal receive a full refund of tuition for the course. See the below steps for more information on How to Request a Military Withdrawal.

*Please note:  If a military withdrawal is approved, you will need to check with Financial Aid to ensure your SAP standing will not be affected.

How to Request a Military Withdrawal

Step One: Withdraw from your course(s)

After you have exhausted all other available options, you may decide that you need withdraw from the course. Online students may contact an Academic Advisor at (800) 424-9595 to discuss this possibility, and residential students may visit the Office of the Registrar in-person.

 *Special notes for GoArmyEd Students*

  • Online:
    • If you use the GoArmyEd portal for your Tuition Assistance you will need to withdraw from your course on the GoArmyEd portal. The notification of your withdrawal will then automatically be sent to Liberty University and we will process your request.
    • If you are enrolled in other courses that you intend to remain enrolled in, please take note of this additional step. In addition to withdrawing from the desired course on GoArmyEd, you may also need to submit the Intent to Withdraw Form with Liberty to designate the courses you would like to remain enrolled in. Please speak with your Academic Advisor about this requirement if needed.
  • Residential:
    • If you used GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance for the course from which you are withdrawing, you will need to withdraw from the course through the Office of the Registrar and withdraw from the course on the GoArmyEd portal. This will ensure that your Tuition Assistance is updated correctly when your course withdrawal is processed.


Step Two: Request a Military Withdrawal

Depending on your status as an online or residential student, you will need to follow a specific procedure to request your military withdrawal.

  • Online students will need to contact the Office of Military Affairs to see if their situation meets the criteria for a military withdrawal.
  • Residential students will need to contact the Advocate Withdrawal Coordinator in the Student Advocate Office. Be sure to bring/send a copy of your military deployment orders.
    • (434) 592-7200
    • sao@liberty.edu
    • Demoss Room 1100
    • M-F: 8am-5pm; W: 9am-5pm.


Step Three: Submit Documentation for a Military Withdrawal

A thorough review of supporting military documentation is required for a military withdrawal to be approved. Supporting documentation includes a copy of your military orders or a letter from your commanding officer for review. These documents must be official and specific enough to indicate the dates of your deployment or duty.

  • Online students will submit documentation to the Office of Military Affairs at LUOMilitary@liberty.edu or fax to (434) 455-1287.
  • Residential students will submit documentation when meeting with the Student Advocate POC in Step 2.

*Special Note for GoArmyEd Students*

  • Online: Online GoArmyEd students are not required to submit military documentation to Liberty University for a military withdrawal to be reviewed, but GoArmyEd may require certain documentation from you. When you submit your request to withdraw through the GoArmyEd portal, they will review your withdrawal request at that time to determine if it is for military reasons. You will be advised by GoArmyEd if any supporting documentation will be required for them to make a determination regarding your withdrawal request.
  • Residential: Residential GoArmyEd Students will need to submit supporting military documentation to Liberty University for a military withdrawal to be reviewed. Their documentation is not reviewed by GoArmyEd.


Back to Military Deployment.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at https://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill