Be a Leader in the Criminal Justice Field with a Ph.D. in Criminal Justice from Liberty University
If you are an experienced law enforcement professional, Liberty’s online Ph.D. in Criminal Justice can prepare you for senior leadership roles in criminal justice organizations. Through advanced research and analysis of criminal justice practices, you will learn how to assess and improve government and law enforcement organizations while mastering techniques in teaching and leadership. You’ll be trained by seasoned criminal justice scholars with years of experience. Our professors teach from a Christian worldview, so you can receive biblically based training to lead effectively and with integrity in your chosen field.
Our PhD in counseling online degree is taught by professionals with real-world experience in clinical and leadership settings. The PhD in Counseling program curriculum builds on your knowledge and expertise to grow critical thinking, leadership, and clinical skills. Whether you are seeking to expand in your current role or explore other areas within the counseling field, our PhD in Counseling online program is designed to equip you with the knowledge and training you need.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Criminal Justice?
As a criminal justice professional studying at Liberty University, you can gain the knowledge and skills you need to seek promotion to a senior leadership position, enhance your credentials, or teach criminal justice at the undergraduate or graduate level. At Liberty, you’ll learn from a uniquely Christian perspective, so you can be confident your classes will be grounded in integrity and taught by men and women who have real-life experience making the tough calls. Liberty’s instructors in the Helms School of Government have years of experience in criminal justice and understand the critical issues of the field. You can excel in your field without compromising your principles with the advanced training you will gain through our online Ph.D. in Criminal Justice degree program.
What Will You Learn in the Ph.D. in Criminal Justice Online Degree?
Your Ph.D. in Criminal Justice courses will teach advanced knowledge on a wide range of critical issues such as crime causation, comparative criminal justice systems, juvenile justice policies, and advanced corrections policies. You will also study international crime and terrorism to increase your awareness of the global impact of organized crime.
Ph.D. in Criminal Justice Featured Courses
- CJUS 810 – Transnational Organized Crime
- CJUS 820 – Advanced Topics in Terrorism and Intelligence
- CJUS 830 – Criminal Justice Organizational Conflict
- CJUS 840 – Stress Management in Criminal Justice
Highlights of Our Ph.D. in Criminal Justice Online
By earning your Ph.D. in Criminal Justice degree online from an accredited, nonprofit university whose online programs are ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you can be confident your degree will be well respected within your field.
Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in four straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
You will have access to a wide variety of online resources through Liberty University’s library portal throughout your time in the Ph.D. program.
Finish your Ph.D. in Criminal Justice degree online in as little as 3 years!
- Ph.D. in Criminal Justice – Leadership — Combined with the law enforcement training taught in other courses, this specialization focuses on the principles and practices of running large and diverse organizations. You will also gain valuable skills in strategic planning and human resources development.
- Ph.D. in Criminal Justice – Homeland Security — This specialization will focus on the various threats the nation faces from terrorism as well as cyber and weapons of mass destruction (WMD) attacks. You will also learn how to do a risk assessment and how to overcome various vulnerabilities in specific targets, cities, or regions.
Potential Career Opportunities with a Ph.D. in Criminal Justice
- Administrator (Department Chair, Dean, Chancellor)
- Criminal Justice Writer
- Forensics Investigator
- Administration/Management (Federal, State, or Local)
- Crime scene investigation Unit Manager
- Polygraph Examiner/Operator
- Police Chief
- Prison Warden
- Public Policy Advisor
After completing Liberty University’s online Ph.D. in Criminal Justice degree, graduates will have an advanced, terminal degree that will allow them to pursue leadership roles in the criminal justice field as well as serve in higher education teaching criminal justice. The skills and knowledge gained from the online Criminal Justice Ph.D. degree may provide opportunities in private or governmental agencies or provide increased pay opportunities.
Ph.D. in Criminal Justice Degree – Online Program Information
- 100% Online
- 60 total hours
- Up to 6 credit hours can be transferred in from an accredited and non-conferred degree.
- Eight-week courses, eight different start dates each year, and no set login times.
- This program falls under the Helms School of Government.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View related Course Guides in our Helms School of Government (login required).
Admission Requirements for Ph.D. in Criminal Justice
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Statement of Purpose
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.