Improve Special Education in the Classroom with an Autism Certification Program Online
At Liberty University, we want to give you the education you need to make a difference in the lives of students. Our online Graduate Certificate in Autism Education explores current and developing special education trends within Christian, public, and private school settings.
The median wage for special education teachers in 2020 was $61,420.*
World-class learning for anyone, anywhere
Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education can be completed in less than 1 year.
Throughout this certificate, you can explore different characteristics of students with autism and methods of intervention. This includes available social, educational, and behavioral strategies to improve their learning environment.
Our autism certificate is designed to help you provide the best education possible to your students. You can learn proactive strategies for encouraging positive behavior as well as language and skill development in students with autism.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook, Special Education Teachers (visited June 22, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
How do I get certified for autism education?
This certificate can help you gain specialized knowledge so you can better educate students with autism. It is designed for:
- Licensed special education teachers to increase their training and assist autistic students
- Non-licensed professionals who want to work as a teacher’s assistant or paraprofessional
If you want to become a licensed teacher, you will need to complete a licensure program like our Master of Arts in Teaching.
What degree do you need to work with autism students?
Earning our certificate in autism spectrum disorder (ASD) can help you get the training you need to work with students with autism. This certificate can help prepare you for a role as a teaching assistant or paraprofessional. If you would like to be a licensed teacher, you will need to complete a licensure program and meet your state’s requirements.
What is an autism paraprofessional?
The role of a paraprofessional is to assist a licensed teacher in meeting a student’s educational goals. As a paraprofessional, you would provide direct instruction and support to students with special needs, including autism.
Why Choose Liberty University’s Autism Certificate Online?
Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education is designed to help you understand the common characteristics of autism spectrum disorders. This can help you provide for the needs of your students within the autism spectrum.
Throughout this autism education certificate program, you can study under professors who have served as teachers and administrators in real-world K-12 settings. These seasoned professionals desire to share with you what they have learned in their careers. You can take these practical applications and use them in your own classroom.
Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education program is offered 100% online, so you can further your education without uprooting your life. We value your time and understand that you have commitments to your family, career, and community. That’s why our 8-week courses are offered 100% online with no set login times.
Graduate Certificate in Autism Education Potential Career Options
Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, licensure status, and experience, there are a number of positions that could benefit from our graduate autism education certificate:
- Autism specialist
- Currlculum developer
- Head of a special education department in a school
- Special education teacher
- Special education teaching assistant
The skills that you gain from our graduate autism education certificate can be an asset if you hope to pursue education-related careers in the future. This certificate can be a great steppingstone to a masters degree, if you’re interested in furthering your education. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a Graduate Certificate in Autism Education from Liberty University.
Additional education or training may be required for some jobs or occupations. Education careers may also require satisfaction of teaching licensure requirements, which this certificate is not designed to fulfill. Conferral of a certificate does not guarantee job placement.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Autism Certificate Program?
In our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education program, you will explore leading autism research, instructional best practices, and effective behavior management methods. Your coursework will explore individualized, classroom-based, and school-wide behavior support needs. This will help you feel prepared to advocate for students in both special education and general education classrooms and community settings.
Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education program provides an overview of communication, language, and sensory research on causation. These topics can equip you with intervention strategies for individuals with ASD in clinical, home, and school settings. You will also learn strategies for team building, program planning, evidence-based decision making, and evaluation.
- EDUC 624 – Instructional Methods for Behavior and Learning
- EDUC 626 – Characteristics of Autism Spectrum Disorder and Assessment
- EDUC 628 – Communication, Language, and Sensory Aspects for Autism
Highlights of Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Studies
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online certificate from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education program can be completed online in as little as 1 semester.
- You can transfer your autism certificate courses into a related graduate program when you are ready to further your education.
Our Graduate Certificate in Autism Education Online Program Information
- This graduate certificate program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan for this online program.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Education Autism Certificate Students
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $275 per credit hour for graduate courses
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Our Online Graduate Certificate in Autism Education Program
A regionally or nationally accredited bachelor’s degree with a 2.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts**
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**Please note: You cannot be accepted into this program until Liberty has your official transcripts.