Learn How to Meet Your Students’ Unique Needs with a PhD in Special Education Online
You are an education professional seeking a terminal degree. You love working directly in the classroom and equipping your students for success. You are passionate about helping students with special needs learn, grow, and thrive.
If that sounds like you, Liberty University’s PhD in Education – Special Education can help you take the next step in your career. Our program provides an in-depth look at learning theory and research methods, allowing you to bolster your effectiveness as an educator. You’ll learn how to help all of your students — including those with disabilities — excel at every level of education, from kindergarten through college.
Explore methods for making effective, data-driven decisions and implementing evidence-based practices in the classroom. This doctorate in special education online program will help equip you to work as a professor or special education teacher at public and private institutions. Partner with us and prepare to serve as a Champion for Christ in the education field — and beyond.
What are the benefits of earning a PhD in Special Education?
By completing this online doctorate degree in special education, you’ll earn one of the most valuable, respected credentials in the field of education. You’ll also develop the technical expertise you need to stand out in an increasingly competitive job market. With a PhD, you could potentially earn a higher salary or advance to top-level leadership roles.
Most importantly, our doctorate in special education online can enhance your ability to serve students with learning disabilities and make a positive impact on them.
How long does it take to complete a PhD in Special Education?
You can finish Liberty’s online special education doctoral program in about 3 years. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
What is the difference between an EdD and a PhD in Special Education?
A Doctor of Education (EdD) and a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) are both terminal degrees that offer advanced training in the field of education. However, they have some important differences.
An EdD is a professional doctorate designed to equip students with vocational knowledge. By earning an EdD, you can pursue educational leadership roles outside the classroom. In contrast, our online PhD in Special Education program can help you pursue a career in research or teaching. Additionally, our EdD requires a final capstone project while our PhD program involves an extensive dissertation.
Both degrees are valuable — you’ll just need to evaluate which one best matches your career goals!
Why Choose Liberty University’s PhD Program in Special Education?
Are you worried that school will get in the way of your other commitments and priorities? If so, we have just what you need! Our PhD in Special Education is offered 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. That means you can complete your coursework from the comfort of your home and easily access your materials whenever you need them! Most importantly, you can stay invested in your family and career while furthering your education.
In this online doctoral degree program in special education, you’ll study under professors who have years of experience in research, teaching, and academia. With their guidance, you can gain the tools you need to advance in your current field or pursue new job opportunities.
We don’t just train educators — we equip qualified professionals who seek to use their skills in service to God and others. At Liberty, you will analyze education practices through the lens of a biblical worldview. Our faculty are grounded in the Christian faith and are ready to equip you to lead with excellence and integrity in the education field.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Online PhD Program in Special Education?
Explore special education teaching philosophy and learn how to help students with disabilities thrive in their academic, professional, and personal life.
This special education doctoral program online is broken down into 4 main parts: core education courses, research classes, a dissertation project, and the special education concentration. You will gain foundational skills in the theoretical, historical, and philosophical aspects of education. Additionally, you’ll explore current trends in educational technology, allowing you to stay knowledgeable about the most cutting-edge research in the industry.
Our PhD in Special Education online courses can prepare you to meet the needs of students with physical impairments, behavioral disorders, and learning disabilities. In particular, you’ll learn how to collaborate with families, service providers, and school administrators in helping these students set and achieve academic goals.
Every student is unique, so our courses will train you to evaluate the needs of individual students and help them reach their full potential. By the time you graduate, you’ll be better prepared to work directly in the classroom or as the director of a special education program. Whether you want to work in early childhood education or at postsecondary institutions, our online PhD in Special Education can help you reach your career goals.
This program contains several research methods courses, culminating in an extensive final dissertation project. You’ll have the opportunity to conduct original research and contribute to the base of knowledge in your field.
- EDUC 701 – Advanced Learning Theory and Research
- EDSP 725 – Assessment and Evaluation in Special Education
- EDSP 726 – Disability and Learning
PhD in Special Education Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for our special education PhD online.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program contains optional on-campus intensives. Most intensives are offered in a week-long course format, with a few being offered in a weekend-only format.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required.
What Can You Do with a PhD in Special Education?
By earning your Doctor of Philosophy in Special Education, you can pursue a variety of job opportunities in the field of education. Some of the roles you may qualify for include:
- Educational consultant
- K-12 special education teacher
- Rehabilitation facility director
- School superintendent
- Special education director
- Survey researcher
- Training and development specialist
- University administrator
- University professor
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Doctor of Philosophy in Education Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
Highlights of Liberty’s Online Doctorate in Special Education
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online PhD in Special Education from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we’ve frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- The courses in this program are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- Liberty’s online PhD program contains an integrated dissertation process, allowing you to work toward your final research project while completing your regular classes.
- You can complete this online doctoral program in special education in about 3 years.
- Completing your PhD gives you a terminal educational credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of achievement in your field.
- As a doctoral student, you can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal while completing your PhD in Education at Liberty University.
- If you’re a full-time parent or working professional, we provide the flexibility you need to take the next step in your academic journey.