Doctor of Philosophy in Education – Special Education Online
Liberty University’s 100% online Ph.D. in Special Education degree program will expand your knowledge, skills, and training in special education. This is achieved through advanced course content and in-depth research in leadership, research, and teacher preparation. Throughout our degree program, you will learn to evaluate educational theories within the field of special education for professional and academic practice.
With advanced training in cognitive development and various disability categories, you will learn how to implement services from early childhood through post-secondary interventions. Our Ph.D. in Special Education online degree will provide you with the tools and skills you need to make effective, data-driven decisions and evaluate research methods in order to implement evidence-based practices.
Why Choose Liberty’s Ph.D. in Special Education Online Program?
Liberty’s online Ph.D. in Special Education provides advanced training in research, leadership, and curriculum development as it relates to those with special needs. Whether your goal is to work in school leadership, K-12 education, business, or government settings, our Ph.D. program is an excellent option to help you meet your career goals.
At Liberty, we value your time. We designed our Ph.D. in Special Education to be 100% online, which means you are not required to attend courses on campus at any time as you pursue your degree. We are committed to helping you obtain your degree in a way that is most convenient for you.
You will also receive training and instruction from professors who are grounded in their Christian faith and are ready to equip you to be a Champion for Christ in the education field.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Ph.D. in Special Education?
Liberty University’s special education courses can prepare you to meet the needs of students who are disabled, autistic, and hearing and visually impaired. This training is vital for effectively serving school administrations at the local, state, and national level. Throughout our Ph.D. in Special Education online program, you will also study curriculum and program development for children with behavioral disorders, special needs, and those who excel and need more challenging programs.
As you begin our Ph.D. in Special Education degree online, you will concentrate on improving your knowledge of various styles of learning and how to best teach students with unique needs. Creating effective programs for special education correlates with the correct evaluation of student needs, so you will also learn how to evaluate and assess individual students.
Understanding how disabilities, whether physical or cognitive, affect learning is another key area you will study.
- EDUC 701 – Advanced Learning Theory and Research
- EDSP 725 – Assessment and Evaluation in Special Education
- EDSP 726 – Disability and Learning
Ph.D. in Education Online Degree Information
- This program falls under our School of Education.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Students in this degree program can complete optional, on-campus intensives. Most intensives are offered in a weeklong course format with a few being offered in a weekend format.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required.
Potential Career Options with a Ph.D. in Special Education
- Distance learning senior director
- Director of special education
- K-12 special education teacher
- Professor (higher education)
- Rehabilitation facility director
- School superintendent
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Ph.D. in Special Education
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Ph.D. in Education Program Highlights
- By earning your Ph.D. in Education – Special Education from an accredited, nonprofit university whose online programs are ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you can be confident your degree will be well respected within your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You will learn how to create and administrate effective education environments.
- Our Doctor of Philosophy in Education program will allow you to develop educational management skills and foster leadership in teachers and students.
- You can meet your peers and professors in the online Ph.D. in Education program during optional intensives on our campus in Central Virginia while developing your writing and research for your dissertation.
- Our Ph.D. online is a 3-year program that includes an integrated dissertation process, allowing you to work toward your final research project while completing your coursework.
- Completing your Ph.D. gives you a terminal educational credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of your field’s achievement.