Become a Creative Leader in Education with a Doctorate in Instructional Design and Technology
Technology is a part of our everyday lives, making it an integral part of online and in-class education. Students from kindergarten through college rely on technology to complete assignments and learn critical skills needed for academic success.
Liberty University’s 100% online PhD in Education – Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) degree program will expand your knowledge, skills, and training in instructional design. You will complete advanced course content and in-depth research. You will study cognitive development, evaluation and assessment, and the design and implementation of distance learning programs and job aids.
You will examine the design, development, and implementation of new learning processes and products designed for student success. Throughout our online PhD in instructional design and technology, you will learn how to effectively communicate. You will learn to create effective and engaging learning programs for school administrators, teachers, and students through various mediums. Through research and innovative use of today’s educational technology, you can enhance your skills and market your abilities in this growing field.
Is it worth it to get a PhD in Education?
You may have a master’s degree in education, and you’re wondering if pursuing your doctorate will be worth your time, money, and effort. Earning a terminal degree is often an important step in any career – but what is the actual payoff?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the annual median salary for someone with a master’s degree is $77,844. For a professional who holds a doctorate, that median annual salary jumps to $97,916.* By earning your online doctorate, you could see a 25% increase in your salary!
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Learn more, earn more: Education leads to higher wages, lower unemployment (viewed online August 12, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What degree do you need for instructional design?
Whether you want career advancement or are just getting started in the field, you are probably wondering which instructional design program you should pursue. If you want to work in management or administration and be at the height of your education career, then consider a doctorate program.
We believe that Liberty offers one of the best instructional design PhD programs available. Here’s why:
- Flexibility to complete your doctorate 100% online
- Courses grounded in a biblical worldview to help you become a leader who values ethics and integrity
- Professors with doctorates and years of experiences who are excited to mentor you
How much can you make with a doctorate in education?
An education doctorate can be both personally fulfilling and financially lucrative. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, people who work in education administration at the K-12 level make a median annual salary of $96,400.* Those who work in higher education administration have a slightly higher median annual salary of $95,410.**
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at 11-9032 Education Administrators, Kindergarten through Secondary (viewed online August 12, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at 11-9033 Education Administrators, Postsecondary (viewed online August 12, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Educational Technology Online?
Liberty’s educational technology doctoral program online is designed to provide advanced training to instructional design specialists. This degree is for those who are seeking promotions, new opportunities, or a career change. In whatever capacity you plan to develop innovative learning management systems (LMS), our program can help you reach your career goals.
We designed our PhD in Instructional Design and Technology to be 100% online. This means you are not required to attend courses on campus at any time as you pursue your degree. We are committed to helping you obtain your degree in a way that is most convenient for you.
Liberty University’s mission is Training Champions for Christ. You will also receive training and instruction from professors who are grounded in their Christian faith.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Instructional Design PhD Program?
Liberty University’s IDT courses enhance your knowledge of instructional design. This will allow you to develop support products and processes that enhance and increase the efficiency of learning. Our instructional design and technology courses provide training in the development of web-based courses as well as printed educational aids.
As you begin your PhD in instructional design and technology, you will improve your knowledge of the various styles of learning. You will also learn how instructional design and technology play a part in reaching the unique needs of students and teachers. From there, you will learn advanced techniques using existing technologies for web-based learning. You will also study new developments in technology and their possible implications for the future.
- EDUC 730 – Issues and Trends in Learning Technologies
- EDUC 731 – Instructional Design Theory
- EDUC 732 – Principles of Human Performance Technology
- EDUC 733 – Instructional Systems Design
Instructional Design Doctorate Online Degree Information
- This program falls under our School of Education.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- Students in the educational technology program can complete optional on-campus intensives. Most intensives are offered in a week-long course format, with a few being offered in a weekend format.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required for the doctor of education and instructional design.
Potential Career Options with an Online PhD Program in Learning and Technology
- Director of e-learning
- Distance learning senior director
- Educational technology director
- Military education specialist
- Professor (higher education)
- Researcher (IDT)
- Senior instructional designer
- Senior training specialist
Admission Requirements for Our Online PhD in Learning Design and Technology
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Highlights of Our Online Instructional Design Doctoral Program
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your doctorate in educational technology online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 5 years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You will learn how to create and administer effective education environments.
- Our PhD in educational technology online will allow you to develop educational management skills and foster leadership in teachers and students.
- You can meet your peers and professors in the PhD in instructional technology online program during optional on-campus intensives on our campus in Central Virginia.
- Our 3-year instructional design PhD program online includes an integrated dissertation process allowing you to work toward your final research project while completing your coursework. Completing your PhD gives you a terminal educational credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of your field’s achievement.