Online Doctor of Philosophy in Education – Instructional Design and Technology Program
Technology is a part of our everyday lives, making it an integral part of education both online and in the classroom. Students from K-12 and throughout higher education rely on technology to complete assignments and learn critical skills needed for academic success. Liberty University’s 100% online Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology (IDT) degree program will expand your knowledge, skills, and training in instructional design through advanced course content and in-depth research into cognitive development, evaluation and assessment, and the design and implementation of distance learning programs and job aids.
With advanced insight into the ways students learn, you will examine the design, development, and implementation of new learning processes and products designed for student success. Throughout our Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology, you will learn how to effectively communicate with school administrators, teachers, and students through various mediums as you create effective and engaging learning programs. Through research and innovative use of today’s educational technology, you can enhance your skills and market your abilities in this growing field.
Why Choose Liberty’s Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology Online Program?
Liberty’s Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology online degree program is designed to provide advanced training to instructional design specialists who are seeking promotions, new opportunities, or a career change. Whether your goal is to work as an administrator, as a professor, or for government or private industries developing innovative learning management systems (LMS), you will find that our doctoral program is an excellent way to help you reach your career goals.
At Liberty, we value your time. We designed our Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology to be 100% online, which means you are not required to attend courses on campus at any time as you pursue your degree. We are committed to helping you obtain your degree in a way that is most convenient for you. You will also receive training and instruction from professors who are grounded in their Christian faith and ready to equip you to be a Champion for Christ in the education field.
What Will You Learn in Liberty’s Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology?
Liberty University’s IDT courses seek to enhance your knowledge of instructional design so that you can develop support products and processes needed to enhance and increase the efficiency of learning. Our instructional design and technology courses provide training in how to develop web-based courses for online learning as well as printed educational aids for use in both the classroom and the workplace.
As you begin our Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology degree online, you will improve your knowledge of the various styles of learning and how instructional design and technology play a part in reaching the unique needs of students and teachers. From there, you will learn advanced techniques using existing technologies for web-based learning, as well as new developments in technology and their possible implications for the future.
- EDUC 730 – Issues and Trends in Learning Technologies
- EDUC 731 – Instructional Design Theory
- EDUC 732 – Principles of Human Performance Technology*
- EDUC 733 – Instructional Systems Design*
*Course guides coming soon
Ph.D. in Education Online Degree Information and Requirements
- This program falls under our School of Education.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Course Syllabi (login required).
- Students in this degree program can complete optional on-campus intensives. Most intensives are offered in a week-long course format, with a few being offered in a weekend format.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required.
Potential Career Options with an Instructional Design and Technology Degree
- Professor (Higher Education)
- Researcher (IDT)
- Senior Instructional Design Specialist
- Senior Training Specialist
- Educational Technology Director
- Distance Learning Senior Director
- Director of E-learning
- Military Education Specialist
Admission Requirements for Our Online Ph.D. in Education – Instructional Design and Technology
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Highlights of the Online Ph.D. Program
- By earning your Ph.D. in Instructional Design and Technology from an accredited, nonprofit university whose online programs are ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you can be confident your degree will be well respected within your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You will learn how to create and administrate effective education environments.
- Our Doctor of Philosophy in Education program will allow you to develop educational management skills and foster leadership in teachers and students.
- You can meet your peers and professors in the online Ph.D. in Education program during optional on-campus intensives on our campus in Central Virginia while developing your writing and research for your final dissertation phase.
- Our Ph.D. online is a 3-year program that includes an integrated dissertation process allowing you to work toward your final research project while completing your coursework. Completing your Ph.D. gives you a terminal educational credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of your field’s achievement.