Have a Far-reaching and Lasting Influence on Students with a Ph.D. in Curriculum and Instruction Degree
When researching whether to pursue a Ph.D. in Education or a Doctor of Education (Ed.D.), students can be torn between which program to study. Both programs offer training that can further your knowledge as an educator and teach you skills that will enhance your understanding of educational leadership. Our Ph.D. programs are designed for educators who want to remain active in the classroom. Through our online curriculum and instruction Ph.D. program, you will study administration, curriculum development, learning theory, and more to gain the knowledge, skills, and training you need to be an effective educator, professor or administrator.
Influence classrooms across county, state, and national levels by creating innovative and effective curriculum that helps students discover their full potential. In addition to our core courses in curriculum and instruction, you will have the opportunity to complete a dissertation. Throughout our degree program, you will be equipped with the strategies needed to research and defend your dissertation. Your critical thinking skills will be challenged as you work through this process and present and defend a topic of interest with a fresh perspective. Through this Ph.D. program, each course integrates specific course materials and assignments that require you to examine relevant topics and current events in light of Scripture and a Christian worldview.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Doctor of Philosophy in Education – Curriculum and Instruction?
Through Liberty University’s Ph.D. in Education, with a specialization in Curriculum and Instruction, you will engage with knowledgeable education professionals who will mentor you in your development as an advanced educator, administrator, and researcher. The robust theoretical framework you study in our program will extend your teaching methods to a higher order of application, allowing you to evaluate and address teaching challenges in both K-12 institutions and at the university level.
Liberty’s 100% online Ph.D. in Education program allows you to focus on your coursework at home as well as connect with your professors and other classmates through optional intensives on Liberty’s beautiful campus in central Virginia. These optional intensive courses are designed with flexible scheduling in mind, providing critical hands-on training, a chance to interact with classmates, and valuable face-to-face interaction with your professors.
What Will You Learn in the Online Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education – Curriculum and Instruction Program?
The core content of our online Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education, with a specialization in Curriculum and Instruction, will enhance your understanding of the latest trends in learning theories as well as help you stay up-to-date with the latest advances in educational technology. Besides learning advanced theories and research in education, you will also be exposed to advanced training for serving special needs students and the teachers who work with them.
Through our curriculum and instruction concentration, you will evaluate the process of designing curriculum and implementing instructional practices. You will analyze pedagogical concepts and approaches based on research and knowledge of the discipline. By the end of your program, you will have designed and conducted original research that adds to the knowledge base of the discipline. As a Doctor of Philosophy in Education graduate, you will find the concepts covered in our Ph.D. degree program invaluable as you put them to use in the classroom.
- EDUC 721 – Issues and Trends in Exceptionality
- EDUC 735 – Issues and Trends in Teaching and Learning
- EDUC 771 – Curriculum Theory
- EDUC 872 – Research in Curriculum Design and Development
Online Ph.D. in Education – Curriculum and Instruction Degree Information
- This program falls under our School of Education.
- View the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Course Syllabi (login required).
- Students in this degree program can complete optional on-campus intensives. Most intensives are offered in a weeklong course format, with a few being offered in a weekend format.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required.
Potential Career Options with a Ph.D. in Education
- Curriculum Specialist
- Curriculum Creator
- University Professor
- University Administrator
- K-12 Administrator
- Educational Consultant
- Survey Researcher
- Educational Instructor
- Superintendent of Schools
- Training and Development Specialist
- Executive Education Position
Admission Requirements for Our Online Ph.D. in Education
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All Applicants Must Submit the Following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Highlights of the Ph.D. Online Program
- By earning your Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) in Education from an accredited, nonprofit university whose online programs are ranked in the top five of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you can be confident your degree will be well respected within your field.
- Tuition for all undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs has not increased in 4 straight years. While many other online colleges have raised tuition, Liberty has been able to keep costs low as a nonprofit university.
- You will learn how to create and administrate effective education environments.
- Our Doctor of Philosophy in Education program will allow you to develop educational management skills and foster leadership in teachers and students.
- You can meet your peers and professors in the Online Ph.D. in Education program during optional on-campus intensives on our campus in Central Virginia while developing your writing and research for your final dissertation phase.
- Our Ph.D. online is a 3-year program that includes an integrated dissertation process allowing you to work toward your final research project while completing your coursework. Completing your Ph.D. gives you a terminal educational credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of your field’s achievement.