Become a Leader in the Education System with Liberty University’s Curriculum and Instruction PhD
Are you an education professional seeking a terminal degree? If so, Liberty’s online PhD in Education – Curriculum and Instruction can help. This program provides advanced training in administration, curriculum development, learning theory, and more. With this knowledge, you can increase your effectiveness as a researcher, educator, or school administrator.
Learn how to create an innovative and effective curriculum that helps students discover their full potential. Our online PhD in Curriculum and Instruction will train you in best research methods so you can address a variety of challenges in the world of education. Our flexible, affordable courses are designed to fit around your busy schedule and equip you for top-level roles in your field.
Choose Liberty and train to become a Champion for Christ in the classroom — and beyond.
What is curriculum and instruction in education?
A career in curriculum and instruction involves researching, developing, implementing, and evaluating new ways to enhance student learning and achievement. With the knowledge you will gain in this PhD program, you’ll be equipped to develop curricula, instructional strategies, and other education tools so you can help students of all ages succeed.
Why pursue a PhD in Education – Curriculum and Instruction?
Pursuing a doctorate in curriculum and instruction online is a great way to advance in your current field, branch out into new roles, or possibly earn a higher salary. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals who have a doctoral degree earn approximately 26% more per year than candidates who only have a master’s degree.* A PhD is a valuable investment that can help take your career to the next level.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Unemployment rates and earnings by educational attainment (viewed online September 25, 2020). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What is the difference between an EdD and a PhD in Education?
A Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Education and a Doctor of Education (EdD) both offer valuable training that can enhance your knowledge of educational leadership and open up new career paths.
But which is better: an EdD or a PhD? That depends on your career goals. An EdD is a professional doctorate designed to equip students with vocational knowledge. In contrast, a PhD will prepare you for teaching and research roles in academia. Before choosing a program, it’s important to evaluate which degree best fits your goals and interests.
If you want to work directly in the classroom, a PhD may be right for you. If you want to pursue educational leadership roles outside the classroom, you may want to consider Liberty’s EdD in Curriculum and Instruction.
Can I become a professor with an online PhD?
Yes! As long as you attend an accredited institution, earning an online PhD is a great way to advance your career. Liberty is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). You can be confident that your PhD from Liberty University will be respected in the professional workplace. We offer a rigorous curriculum that will help ensure you are career-ready upon graduation.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online PhD Program in Education – Curriculum and Instruction?
As pioneers in distance learning since 1985, we’re committed to providing top-notch degrees that equip you for the real world. Liberty University’s PhD in Education is offered 100% online, and the courses have no set login times. You can complete your courses wherever and whenever it’s best for you, without the worry of having to take on-campus classes.
While completing this doctoral degree in curriculum and instruction, you will study under professors who have extensive experience in research and academia. They will train you in the theory of curriculum development, then help you apply what you’ve learned to real-world scenarios. By the time you graduate, you’ll be ready to evaluate and address teaching challenges in K-12 institutions and at the university level.
This program contains optional on-campus intensives. While not required, these intensives provide a valuable opportunity to connect in-person with other education students and faculty. Whether you complete online or residential courses, you’ll benefit from our biblically based curriculum and receive valuable mentorship from faculty who are eager to share their expertise with you.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Liberty University’s PhD Program in Curriculum and Instruction?
Our online doctoral program in curriculum and instruction will enhance your understanding of current education issues and help you stay up-to-date with the latest advances in educational technology. You’ll develop educational management skills and learn how to foster a positive learning environment for students and teachers alike.
This degree is broken down into 4 main parts: core education classes, the curriculum and instruction concentration, research courses, and an extensive dissertation process. By understanding the theoretical framework that underlies curriculum and instruction development, you can become a leader in the classroom and help students of all ages develop the tools they need to succeed.
The foundational education courses dive into various aspects of learning theory, as well as the historical and philosophical underpinnings of modern education. In the curriculum and instruction cognate, you’ll learn how to design a curriculum and implement instructional strategies based on cutting-edge research.
In addition to our regular education classes, you’ll complete several research methods courses, culminating in an integrated dissertation process. Completing a dissertation is a valuable way to conduct original research and build on the base of knowledge in your field. Upon graduation from Liberty University’s online PhD in Education program, you’ll be ready to apply your knowledge to a career as a teacher, researcher, or professor.
Partner with us and prepare to help your students and institution thrive.
- EDUC 721 – Issues and Trends in Exceptionality
- EDUC 735 – Issues and Trends in Curriculum and Instruction
- EDUC 771 – Curriculum Theory
- EDUC 872 – Research in Curriculum Design and Development
Online Doctorate in Education – Curriculum and Instruction Degree Information
- This program falls under the School of Education.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for Liberty’s PhD in Education.
- View our Graduate Education Course Guides (login required).
- This program contains optional on-campus intensives. Most intensives are offered in a week-long course format, with a few being offered in a weekend-only format.
- An extensive final dissertation project is required.
What Can I Do with a PhD in Curriculum and Instruction?
- Curriculum creator
- Curriculum specialist
- Educational consultant
- Educational instructor
- K-12 school administrator
- Superintendent of schools
- Survey researcher
- Training and development specialist
- University administrator
- University professor
Admission Requirements for Liberty University’s Doctorate in Education Degree Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a GPA of 3.0 or above for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.
Highlights of Liberty’s Online Doctoral Program in Education – Curriculum and Instruction
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and one of the top 10 online schools in America by Niche.com. Earning your online doctorate in curriculum and instruction degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 6 years — and counting.
- Our online classes are only 8 weeks long, with 8 different start dates offered each year and no set login times.
- You can access a wealth of resources through our top-notch research portal while completing your online PhD at Liberty University.
- Liberty University’s online doctorate degree in curriculum and instruction contains an integrated dissertation process, allowing you to work toward your final research project while completing your regular classes.
- Earning your PhD gives you a terminal credential that shows employers you have reached the pinnacle of achievement in your field.