Gain Advanced Skills for Ministering to Your Community with an Online Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy
Are you seeking better ways to make an impact as a chaplain? If navigating the secular and pluralistic settings of your current ministry has you looking for answers, Liberty’s 100% online Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy might be what you need. Our 9-credit-hour postgraduate certificate can provide doctoral-level training without the commitment of a full Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) program.
Partner with us for your chaplaincy training and learn what you need to reach your full potential as you help those in your corporation, hospital, or community. Liberty University’s mission is to develop Christ-centered men and women with the values, passion, and skills essential to changing the world. Our online chaplaincy program can equip you to develop a biblically-based plan for helping those in need and training up future leaders in fulfillment of the Great Commission.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Occupational Employment and Wage Statistics: Clergy, 2020 (viewed online Oct. 12, 2021). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Potential Career Options with a Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy
Our chaplaincy certificate can help you prepare for several career paths. Depending on your current knowledge, education level, and experience, there are many different positions that could benefit from our certificate:
- Associate chaplain
- Chaplain assistant
- Chaplain resident
- Spiritual care coordinator
The skills that you can gain from our postgraduate chaplaincy certificate can be an asset in many other aspects of the ministry world as you pursue positions of added responsibility. We understand that some occupations require candidates to have a doctorate, which is why the credits from this certificate can transfer directly into the Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Chaplaincy. Take the next step towards your personal and professional goals with a chaplaincy certificate from Liberty University.
Why Choose Liberty’s Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy?
As pioneers in distance learning, we’re committed to offering an education that fits your schedule. Our Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy is available 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. You can complete your assignments from the comfort of your home and easily access your course materials whenever you need them!
A postgraduate chaplaincy certificate is an excellent alternative to a full-length doctoral degree because it allows you to gain new skills and credentials while saving time and money. At only 9 credit hours, this online chaplaincy certificate can be completed in just 1 semester. We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you receive online chaplaincy training without putting your life on hold. If you decide to continue your studies into a doctoral degree, credits from this certificate can transfer into our Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Chaplaincy.
Military Tuition Discount
If you have served in the military, we want to go above and beyond to show you our gratitude. That’s why we designed our postgraduate certificate to work especially well for you. Earning a postgraduate certificate makes you eligible for our military alumni doctoral discount — you’ll receive the discounted $300/credit hour military rate both during the certificate and later during a doctoral degree.* Many of our certificates roll directly into a corresponding doctoral degree, allowing you to get a jumpstart on your doctorate!
If your plans to earn a doctoral degree lie further in the future, each certificate also stands on its own as a professional development credential, setting you apart from your peers and giving you the flexibility to start a doctoral degree whenever you’re ready. It’s one more way we show our appreciation.
*In order to retain the $300/credit hour rate, the doctoral degree must be started within 2 years of completing the certificate.
What Will You Learn in Our Postgraduate Chaplaincy Certificate?
Training to be a chaplain is an ongoing process. This online Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy is designed to help you gain advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities in practical theological interpretation. Applying biblical theology in secular and pluralistic contexts can often lead to tension. At Liberty, you can learn how to minister to individuals from a wide variety of theological backgrounds with humility and love.
As you study strategic leadership, you can learn how to best use the position and opportunities available to chaplains to influence critical decisions within the military, the healthcare field, and your community. Your training can help you build advanced interpretive and decision-making skills as they relate to the functional areas of chaplaincy. This training is designed to help increase your ability to assess calling, character, competence, and relational intelligence in others. Understanding how to improve these qualities in both yourself and others will be another aspect of your training.
Throughout your courses, you can also learn how to develop and apply a biblically based decision-making model and personal code of ethics. Your studies will address the ethics of evangelism, civil discourse, and the free exercise of faith in a pluralistic culture.
Highlights of Liberty’s Graduate Certificate in Chaplaincy Online
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online certificate in chaplaincy from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!*
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years — and counting.
- Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Study under theologians and missionaries with real-world experience and prepare to lead as a Champion for Christ.
*Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Online Chaplaincy Certificate Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Certificate Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $300 per credit hour for graduate courses
- Roll these credits into the corresponding doctoral degree
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Postgraduate Certificate in Chaplaincy
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Official transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 18 graduate hours of Bible/Theology or ministry-related courses
- Ecclesiastical endorsement
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Vita
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.