Help Your Community Heal and Grow with Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry (DMin) in Chaplaincy
Are you a chaplain seeking advanced training and credentials? Maybe you are a ministry professional pursuing new job opportunities in the field of chaplaincy. If so, Liberty University’s 100% online Doctor of Ministry (DMin) in Chaplaincy may be right for you.
Our program can help you provide better spiritual and emotional support to the people you serve. Working as a chaplain poses many unique challenges that require specialized knowledge, and earning a DMin in Chaplaincy is an excellent way to enhance your skill set and reach your full potential. From prisons and hospitals to sports teams and businesses, you can pursue chaplaincy roles in a variety of settings and take your ministry beyond the walls of the church.
Liberty’s accredited chaplaincy program online was designed to help Christ-centered men and women develop the values, passion, and skills needed to change the world. Our online seminary was founded by leading Christian scholars, theologians, and ministry professionals — many of whom are still teaching at Liberty today. With their guidance, you can prepare to lead and disciple believers.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry in Chaplaincy Degree?
As one of the largest Christian universities in the world, Liberty can offer the credentials and resources you need to further your understanding of the Bible and strengthen your ministry skills. Our DMin degree combines a biblical worldview with quality academics to help prepare you for the next step in your ministry career. Additionally, our DMin classes are offered 100% online with no set login times, so you can earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
As a nonprofit university, we offer a highly competitive tuition rate to make our programs as affordable as possible. While other universities are increasing their tuition, we offer a $2,750 block rate for DMin students taking 7-15 credits per semester.* At Liberty, you’ll have the flexibility to attend school online and gain credentials that can help you take the next step in your career.
*Credits taken below 7 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
What Are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry (DMin) in Chaplaincy?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Our online Doctor of Ministry degree offers training that emphasizes solving real-world ministry problems with advanced practice and research.
- As part of this DMin degree, you’ll have the option of completing either a thesis or a portfolio. The thesis provides an opportunity to dig into research and scholarship under the mentorship of Liberty’s Christian professors while the portfolio is designed to utilize professional experiences in a creative way by allowing you to combine advanced research skills, creativity, and expert analysis.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the difference between a DMin and a PhD in Chaplaincy?
When choosing a divinity doctorate, you’ll want to consider your long-term goals. A PhD can help you prepare for a career in teaching, writing, and scholarly research. In contrast, a DMin can equip you for real-life ministry settings. Liberty University’s chaplain program is designed to help you develop practical skills that you can use to better reach others with the love of Christ.
What can you do with a DMin in Chaplaincy?
By earning this online chaplain degree, you can strengthen your effectiveness as a chaplain in a variety of settings. Whether you currently serve as a chaplain in a hospital, prison, school, business, or the military, our chaplaincy courses online provide advanced training that can help you serve other people with skill and humility. Additionally, although the online DMin program is mainly a professional doctorate, it can also help equip you to teach at universities and seminaries.
How long does it take to earn a DMin in Chaplaincy online?
You can complete Liberty’s chaplain program in as little as 2 years! We offer a fast, flexible path to graduation that lets you earn your degree without putting your life on hold.
What Will You Learn in Our Online DMin in Chaplaincy Degree Program?
Our accredited online chaplaincy program offers core ministry courses that provide an overview of doctoral research and writing resources, theological concepts, and spiritual health assessment. Within the chaplaincy specialization, you can examine the theology of chaplaincy and learn how to serve in secular and pluralistic contexts. Additionally, you can prepare to mentor other chaplains so they can increase their ministry effectiveness.
Learn how to provide sound spiritual leadership to those in need of guidance. By diving deeper into Scripture, biblical leadership principles and strategies, and the essential doctrines of the Christian faith, you can prepare to help meet the diverse spiritual needs of the people you serve. In particular, you can become equipped to touch people’s lives within military, healthcare, and community contexts.
Before graduating, you will complete either a portfolio or a thesis project. Both projects provide an opportunity to demonstrate your expertise, evaluate real-world issues, and develop practical solutions to ministry challenges.
- CHPL 810 – Practical Theology of Chaplaincy
- CHPL 820 – Chaplain Strategic Leadership
- CHPL 830 – Ethics for Chaplain Leaders
- DSMN 815 – Personal Spiritual Formation
Highlights of Liberty’s Online DMin in Chaplaincy Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online DMin in Chaplaincy from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You are pursuing your degree because you want to serve God and others with excellence. We want to honor that goal by making your degree as affordable as possible. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have a set block rate of $2,750 per semester if you take 7 to 15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester!
- You can complete your online DMin in Chaplaincy degree in as little as 2 years!
- Liberty University’s online seminary, the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity, is led by experienced ministry professionals who teach practical skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Liberty is accredited by SACSCOC, the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Online Doctorate in Chaplaincy Ministry Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- You will have a choice between completing a 15-credit-hour thesis project or a 15-credit-hour portfolio.
Potential Career Options with a Doctorate of Chaplaincy Degree
- Corporate chaplain
- Hospital/fire/police chaplain
- Military chaplain
Admission Requirements for Our Online DMin in Chaplaincy Degree Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Official transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 18 graduate hours of Bible/Theology or ministry-related courses
- Ecclesiastical endorsement
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Vita
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.