Learn How to Craft Effective Sermons with Liberty’s DMin in Preaching and Teaching Degree
Are you passionate about preaching the Word of God? Do you want to strengthen your effectiveness as a Christian minister? Are you seeking advanced training in the art of homiletics?
If that sounds like you, Liberty’s online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Expository Preaching and Teaching can help! In this program, you’ll explore effective preaching methods and gain a deeper understanding of Scripture.
Our online seminary was founded by leading Christian scholars, theologians, and ministry professionals — many of whom are still teaching at Liberty today. With their guidance, you can gain practical skills in biblical teaching, sermon writing, and Scriptural exposition.
Earn your Doctor of Ministry at Liberty University today, and learn how to deliver powerful sermons that point others to Christ.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards, so you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty University’s DMin in Expository Preaching Degree Program?
Respected Credentials | Liberty is regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, our doctorate in preaching is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS).
Flexibility | Earn a degree that fits your schedule. Our DMin in Preaching is available 100% online, and the classes have no set login times. You can complete your degree from anywhere in the world, without needing to relocate or take time off from work! And you can stay invested in your family and career while attending online preaching school.
Rigorous Courses | Our divinity curriculum has been developed by renowned biblical scholars, including Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas. At Liberty, you’ll study under faculty with years of experience in preaching and pastoral leadership. With their guidance, you can gain practical skills that will help bolster your ministry effectiveness.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is expository preaching?
Expository sermons are firmly rooted in Scripture itself. They provide a detailed look at the meaning of a biblical text or passage, with the goal of helping listeners understand God’s Word and apply it to their lives.
Should I pursue a DMin or a PhD in Preaching?
When choosing a divinity doctorate, you’ll want to consider your long-term goals. A PhD can prepare you for a career in teaching, writing, and scholarly research. In contrast, a DMin can equip you for real-life ministry settings.
If you want to gain practical skills and serve directly in the local church, our DMin in Expository Preaching is for you. Or, if you’d prefer a research-based doctorate, you may want to consider Liberty’s online PhD in Bible Exposition!
What is the difference between topical and expository preaching?
In a topical sermon, the preacher focuses on a particular theme and cites various Bible verses related to that topic. Expository preachers, on the other hand, focus entirely on the text itself. Their goal is to explore the meaning of individual passages from Scripture. When it comes to expository preaching, the biblical text itself is the sermon.
What can you do with a Doctor of Ministry in Preaching degree?
By earning this degree, you can serve in leadership roles at your church, perhaps as a senior or teaching pastor. And, although this is a professional doctorate, it provides the credentials you need to teach at universities and seminaries!
What Will You Learn in Our DMin in Preaching Courses Online?
In our expository preaching and teaching program, you’ll explore how to preach biblical truth in a timely, relevant manner. You’ll also learn how to defend against doctrinal errors and use effective, engaging teaching methods in your sermons. With this knowledge, you can help your congregation better understand and remember God’s Word.
Do you want to grow in your walk with Christ and equip others to do the same? Preachers play a vital role in furthering the Kingdom of God — and our online DMin classes will help you become a spiritual leader in your church. You can gain the knowledge, skills, and values needed to apply Christian scholarship to practical ministry problems.
Learn how to write sermons that combine theological truth with practical action points. This program emphasizes the role of interpretation in teaching Scripture. You can learn how to preach the Old and New Testaments using best methods in homiletics and hermeneutics.
Before graduating, you will complete either a portfolio or a thesis project. Both projects provide an opportunity to demonstrate your expertise, evaluate real-world issues, and develop practical solutions to ministry challenges.
- DMIN 810 – Foundations for the Doctor of Ministry
- HOMI 810 – Preaching and Teaching the Grand Story of the Bible
- HOMI 820 – Expository Preaching and Teaching and the Old Testament
- HOMI 830 – Expository Preaching and Teaching and the New Testament
Online Expository Preaching DMin Degree Information
- This Doctor of Ministry program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for Liberty University’s preacher degree program.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- You will have a choice between completing a 15-credit-hour thesis project or a 15-credit-hour portfolio.
Potential Careers for Graduates of the Doctor of Ministry in Preaching Program
Some of the roles you may be suited for after earning this Doctor of Ministry degree include:
- Christian scholar
- Lead/senior pastor
- Seminary professor
- Senior church administrator
- Teaching pastor
- University professor
Highlights of the Doctorate in Preaching and Expository Bible Teaching
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your expository sermons online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we’re committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You’re pursuing your degree because you want to serve God and others with excellence. We want to honor that goal by making your degree as affordable as possible. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have a set block rate of $2,750 a semester if you take 7 to 15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester!
- Earn your DMin degree in as little as 2 years.
- Our preaching online courses are offered in an 8-week, 100% online format.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s Online Preaching Courses
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Official transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 18 graduate hours of Bible/Theology or ministry-related courses
- Ecclesiastical endorsement
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Vita
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.