Learn How to Help Communities Through Your Love of Science with a BS in Geography – Physical Geography
Do you have a passion for science and want to find a career that can help others? A Bachelor of Science (BS) in Geography – Physical Geography can be a great way to gain an understanding of the natural world and how humans interact with it. One of the most significant ways that you can use a degree in physical geography to impact communities is by helping to develop sustainable practices. As concerns about climate change and environmental degradation continue to grow, there is an increasing need for professionals who can help communities reduce their negative impact on the planet.
With an online degree in physical geography, you can gain the knowledge needed to help cities and towns develop plans for renewable energy, waste reduction, and sustainable transportation. By working with local governments, businesses, and residents, you can help communities become more environmentally friendly and reduce their carbon footprint. A bachelor’s degree in physical geography can also provide you with the skill set needed to help play a critical role in assisting communities as they prepare for natural disasters.
Why Choose Liberty’s BS in Geography – Physical Geography Degree?
Our 100% online bachelor’s degree in geography with a specialization in physical geography is designed with flexibility so that you can easily integrate classes into your schedule. Liberty University’s goal is to Train Champions for Christ in every field by providing you with practical skills, so you can enter your career with the ability to tackle real-world challenges. As a student in our online program, you can be confident that each course will provide you with biblical insight into each subject.
Our physical geography degree offers you a well-rounded education that covers a wide range of topics, such as Earth’s physical features, weather patterns, natural resources, and the impact of human activities on the environment. Our comprehensive curriculum can equip you with a strong foundation in physical geography that can help prepare you for success.
The faculty at Liberty also serves as another critical asset, providing you with connections to a diverse range of backgrounds, experiences, and expertise. Our faculty’s commitment to mentorship and guidance creates an engaging learning environment that fosters academic and personal growth. They infuse their teaching with a unique blend of Christian values and rigorous educational principles. Their commitment to continuous learning, research, and innovation benefits you as the student, as they regularly update the curriculum with current trends and discoveries.
What Will You Learn in Our Bachelor’s in Geography – Physical Geography Degree?
Geography is a critical field, and our BS in Geography – Physical Geography can help provide you with the knowledge you will need to excel in this profession. You can learn about the environment and how individuals and communities thrive through embracing cultural traditions. Additionally, you can gain an understanding of commonly used geographic research methods, including quantitative and qualitative research design. While earning your degree, you can also learn to comprehend Earth’s physical features, including landforms, oceans, rivers, and climate patterns.
One of the key areas of study offered in this degree program is geographic information systems (GIS). GIS can provide you with experience in tools used to store geographical information. The GIS courses can help equip you to become a data acquisition and management professional. Our GIS curriculum will also teach you data visualization techniques and cartographic design.
Overall, our degree in physical geography can provide you with an understanding of how human activities, such as land use and resource management, can impact Earth’s physical features and natural resources. You can also study the strategies used to promote sustainability and reduce the negative impact of human activities on the environment. Our physical geography specialization will dive into the function of relationships within the physical environment, including climate, soils, vegetation, meteorology, and more.
- GEOG 305 – Physical Geography
- GEOG 310 – Human Geography
- GEOG 320 – Regional Studies in Geography
- GEOG 374 – GIS for Hydrological Applications
Highlights of Our Bachelor’s in Physical Geography Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Gain professional skills to work in a wide range of geography careers.
Military Benefits for Our Online BS in Geography – Physical Geography Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
- Potential college credit for military training
BS in Geography – Physical Geography Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Opportunities for BS in Geography – Physical Geography Graduates
- Environmental consultant
- Journeyman geospatial analyst
- Military geographer
- Physical scientist
Admission Requirements for Our Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.