Experience the Freedom to Travel and Learn with an Online Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism
Good writing has the ability to create a profound effect on readers. When written skillfully, a blog post, news article, or speech can make readers think, smile, or laugh, and when shared, these powerful words can bring people from all walks of life together. Your talent in this area can be used to help inspire and teach people — people you could only have reached through writing.
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, 64% of writers and authors are self-employed, creating their own office hours and working anywhere they have access to a computer.* If you’ve dreamed about a fast-paced career that lets you have the flexibility to travel or make your own schedule, a degree in journalism would be a great fit!
But a career in journalism allows you to do more than travel — it allows you to pursue your love for lifelong learning. As a reporter or journalist, you can be a part of researching stories, interviewing expert sources, and uncovering the truth about situations. Your knowledge can then be used to educate and inspire others.
*Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Writers and authors: work environment, 2019 (viewed online August 22, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s B.S. in English and Writing – Journalism Degree?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, most full-time, professional writers are expected to have a bachelor’s degree in English, communications, or journalism.** Employers are looking for writers who are adaptable, creative, determined, persuasive, perceptive, and most importantly, skilled at writing. Choosing Liberty’s B.S. in English and Writing can help you develop mastery in all of these areas.
But with a rapidly changing industry like American journalism, where can a degree in this field take you? Careers in journalism are no longer restricted to just newspaper and print media. As almost every industry is impacted by technological advancements, an online writing degree can help you stay abreast of current market trends and open doors to write for popular online mediums.
Choosing a nonprofit, Christian university to pursue your bachelor’s degree can also help you create work that is above reproach. With the sway politics has on journalism, a degree founded on biblical principles can help you stand firm in your beliefs while still producing content that matches or exceeds the industry’s standard for excellence.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Writers and authors: how to become one, 2019 (viewed online August 22, 2019). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
What Will You Learn in Our Online Writing and Journalism Degree?
Employers are looking for writers who are creative, adaptable, and persuasive, so our online journalism degree focuses on equipping you to hone those skills as you develop your writing abilities.
At Liberty, you’ll have the opportunity to learn from New York Times bestselling author, Karen Kingsbury. Kingsbury provides expert content for many of the core courses in this journalism degree, allowing you to learn from her years of experience and success as an author, screenwriter, blogger, and producer.
Liberty’s B.S. in English and Writing – Journalism degree can also help train you in:
- How to market your projects and receive new writing opportunities
- How to write compelling stories that engage readers
- Organizing information and adapting your writing to different styles
- Tailoring your writing to specific audiences and markets
- ENGL 102 – Composition and Literature
- ENGL 333 – Modern Grammar
- ENGL 341 – American Realism and Naturalism
- WRIT 201 – Introduction to Creative Writing
Highlights of Our English and Writing – Journalism Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University has partnered with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist, Karen Kingsbury, to create the Karen Kingsbury Center for Writing. Your curriculum includes content developed by Karen Kingsbury herself.
- Liberty University holds institutional accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
B.S. in English and Journalism Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online English and Writing – Journalism Degree Program
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for Journalism Program Graduates
- Independent author
- Professional blogger
- Speech writer
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.