Your Career in Creative Writing Starts Now
Many people write only when they are required to do so for school or work. Many — but not you. Ever since you could read, you knew you had a deeper appreciation for English and writing. Now imagine taking that passion and making it your life’s work. With the proper training and credentials, you can create a career dedicated to an art you love.
Liberty’s Bachelor of Science in English and Writing is designed for writers like you. Our program focuses on providing you with the skills you’ll need for success, like critical thinking, technical writing, literary analysis, and methods of research. And with a specialization in creative writing, you can study what interests you most — creating captivating stories.
Employers today are in need of professionals who have strong writing skills. Whether you use your degree to land an editorial job or become a freelance writer, your ability to use the English language effectively can set you apart. And while you hone your skills through Liberty’s English degree, you’ll be learning under professors who are just as passionate about writing as you are.
Why Choose Liberty’s English and Writing Degree?
When you choose Liberty to pursue your online creative writing degree, you are choosing a flexible and affordable education. Our online bachelor’s degree courses are offered in 8-week formats, with no set login times, and at a tuition rate that hasn’t increased in 9 years!
You’ll also have the exciting opportunity to study course content developed by New York Times bestselling author, Karen Kingsbury. Learn from her years of success as an author, screenwriter, blogger, and producer, as well as her ability to stand firm in her Christian faith in a largely secular industry.
At Liberty, you’ll get to pursue a degree you want in a field you love — all from the comfort of your own home. Study under well-respected and experienced faculty without the need to travel for traditional on-campus courses. Discover the many reasons why Liberty is a great place to prepare for a career in professional writing.
What Will You Learn in an English and Creative Writing Degree Online?
Liberty’s online creative writing degree will give you the opportunity to study history’s most famous writers through courses on some of the greatest works of literature. And with training in advanced grammar and technical writing, you’ll sharpen your ability to write at all levels and styles.
Liberty’s B.S. in English and Writing – Creative Writing degree will also train you in:
- How to market your projects and receive new writing opportunities
- How to write compelling stories that engage readers
- Organizing information and adapting your writing to different styles
- Tailoring your writing to specific audiences and markets
- ENGL 102 – Composition and Literature
- ENGL 333 – Modern Grammar
- ENGL 341 – American Realism and Naturalism
- WRIT 201 – Introduction to Creative Writing
Highlights of Our Online English and Creative Writing Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years — and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are provided for all undergraduate courses at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Liberty University has partnered with New York Times bestselling author and Christian novelist, Karen Kingsbury, to create the Karen Kingsbury Center for Writing. Your curriculum includes content developed by Karen Kingsbury herself.
- Liberty University holds institutional accreditation through the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
B.S. in English – Creative Writing Degree Information
- This program falls under the College of Arts and Sciences.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View our Undergraduate Arts and Sciences Course Guides (login required).
Military Benefits for Our Online English and Writing – Creative Writing Bachelor’s Degree
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from all over the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- Tuition discounts – $250 per credit hour for undergraduate courses
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $565 per course)
- 8-week courses, 8 different start dates each year, and no set login times (may exclude certain courses such as practicums, internships, or field experiences)
Career Opportunities for Creative Writing Program Graduates
- Professional blogger
- Public relations
- Social media coordinator
Admission Requirements for Undergraduate Online Degrees
Applicants must have a 2.0 or above cumulative GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Unofficial college transcripts may be accepted with a completed official transcript request form**
- High School Self-Certification form and official high school transcripts within first 12 credit hours
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
**An official transcript is needed within 60 days of acceptance or before non-attendance drops for the first set of matriculated classes, whichever comes first.