Military Deployment

Liberty University greatly appreciates your service and the sacrifices you make daily to secure our freedom. When you are faced with a deployment or unexpected duty, we have a process in place to assist you. If you find that your duty may have an impact on your academic progress, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so that we may help you through this process, both before and after your deployment.

If you are going to Basic Training, please go to our Initial Active Duty/Entry Training page


Before Deployment

Contact Your Professor

Our professors are aware of the issues that face our military students and can often work with you by giving extensions or assigning work so you can complete the course while fulfilling your military obligation. After speaking to your professor, if sufficient time cannot be granted due to the course structure please proceed to Step 2.

Contact the Student Advocate Office

If you are unable to continue your course due to deployment and cannot work with your professor to satisfy the course requirements, please contact the Student Advocate Office (SAO) to discuss the possibility of withdrawing from your course(s). If you are able to complete the current semester but will not be able to attend the following semester due to deployment, you still need to contact the Student Advocate Office before you deploy. Be sure to bring/send a copy of your military deployment orders to the Student Advocate Office. They will be able to assist you through the withdrawal process.

Student Advocate Contact: Jonathan Dimanche

Request the Withdrawal

Contact the Registrar's Office to request a withdrawal from your course(s).

Army Tuition Assistance students need to be aware of the following:

  • If you use the GoArmyEd portal for your Tuition Assistance you will also need to withdraw from your course on the GoArmyEd portal. This will ensure that your Tuition Assistance is updated correctly.

Contact your Education Office

Please contact your local Education Office and notify them of your change in enrollment.  Many Education Offices will need a copy of your orders or require other documents in order to avoid recoupment of Tuition Assistance funds.

Things to consider when withdrawing from a course:

  • Your Education Office may recoup Tuition Assistance funds used for your course.
  • Withdrawing may affect your ability to use Financial Aid Title IV funds in future terms (Pell Grant, Student Loans, etc…) according to SAP policy. 
  • Grade of ‘W’ will be assigned and will appear on your academic transcript (this will not affect your GPA)
  • You will need to submit a copy of your military orders or a letter from your commanding officer to the Student Advocate Office to be considered for a military withdrawal.


After Deployment

 Contact the Student Advocate Office

Contact for military students: Jonathan Dimanche.

Request to be Reinstated in your Program

If you have broken enrollment in the program due to your deployment, we can have you reinstated under your original degree plan. Please send an email to requesting your academic status be reinstated.  Your deployment orders or other military documents should be submitted to verify your inactivity due to deployment. 

Contact the Office of Military Affairs

We are here to assist you with resuming your education and using your military benefits. Please contact our office to see if any updated documentation is needed to ensure your benefits are posted to your account without delay.