Intensives: Summer 2018 On-Campus Intensive Package

Department of Defense Tuition Assistance

Below is a snapshot of what Department of Defense (DoD) Tuition Assistance may cover.

  • Must be an employee of the U.S. Department of Defense
  • May cover up to $250 per credit hour
  • Fiscal year cap of $4,500
  • May cover up to 18 credit hours per military fiscal year

To determine your eligibility, please contact your human resources office or office supervisor directly.

What You Need to Know

If you have not used DoD Tuition Assistance before, your first step is to contact your human resources office or office supervisor for assistance with getting started. We’ve outlined a few items below that we want you to be aware of as you utilize your Tuition Assistance at Liberty University.

  • Your Tuition Assistance form is referred to as an SF-182 form. We may also accept a TA authorization letter on official letterhead.
  • You will need to make sure the correct course information is included on your SF-182 or TA authorization letter. Forms with incorrect information cannot be accepted. The information needed includes:
    • Identifying student information (your form may include the last 4 digits of your social security number, which you may blackout and replace it with your Student ID)
    • The course subject code and number (ex: ENGL 100)
    • The course title (ex: Basic Composition)
    • The course dates (see the academic calendar for more information)
    • The number of credit hours (semester hours) and cost per credit hour
    • The approved amount per course
    • Invoicing instructions and/or invoicing POC and email address
  • You must submit your approved SF-182 to the Office of Military Affairs by the TA form deadline and complete Financial Check-In by the deadline corresponding to your subterm of enrollment. See our Dates and Deadlines and Financial Check-In Guide for more information.
  • The authorized funds will be applied to your student account based on the amount of tuition and/or class fees indicated on your SF-182 or TA authorization letter.
  • The Office of Military Affairs will invoice your DoD employer directly. Invoices are submitted to DoD employers after the add/drop date for each subterm per the provided invoicing instructions on your DoD TA document. Your DoD employer will pay Liberty University directly based on the invoice(s) submitted. 
  • Book Voucher Advances may be applied to your student account if you are approved a books/material stipends on your DoD TA document. These vouchers must be used through Liberty’s online bookstore partner Barnes & Noble College.
  • We typically do not submit your grades to the DoD for TA courses (unless this is required by your employer during the invoicing process). You will be responsible for submitting this information to your employer directly if it is needed. You may be able to access a free unofficial transcript through your ASIST account to meet this requirement. 

Army Civilian Instructions 

Army civilians may submit their DoD tuition assistance (TA) through the GoArmyEd portal or by submitting it directly to the Office of Military Affairs. Those choosing to submit their SF-182/TA authorization letter to Liberty directly may follow the guidance given above and disregard the below instructions.


Army civilians who would like to submit their TA request through the GoArmyEd portal may take the following steps: 

  1. Enroll in your courses through Liberty University.

  2. Log into the GoArmyEd Portal and register for the class in GoArmyEd. Registration in GoArmyEd is the method for requesting Tuition Assistance for these courses.

    If your courses are not available on the GoArmyEd Portal, send an email to with the specific class and term of enrollment that you are requesting. This will notify us to add the course to the GoArmyEd portal for registration. An email confirmation will be sent to you once the course has been made available on GoArmyEd. You may then register for the course in the GoArmyEd portal. 

  3. Notify your employer so they can complete the authorization in GoArmyEd.

  4. A representative from the Office of Military Affairs will retrieve your authorized request from GoArmyEd and process the funds to your student account. An email confirmation will be sent to your Liberty email account. Please follow any additional instructions given through email at that time.