National Guard State Tuition Assistance
Military students serving in the Virginia Army or Air National Guard may be eligible to receive State Tuition Assistance. Please visit the Virginia National Guard website or contact Fort Barfoot directly to determine your eligibility.
- The Virginia National Guard will determine the amount of Tuition Assistance available each year. Tuition amounts and coverable fees are at the discretion of Fort Barfoot and are subject to change each year.
- Students must be part of the Virginia Army or Air National Guard to be eligible.
What You Need to Know
Your first step is to contact Fort Barfoot for assistance with getting started. You will need to make sure you are aware of all requirements and regulations for using State Tuition Assistance. You can visit the Virginia National Guard website to get started.
We’ve outlined a few items below we want you to be aware of as you utilize your State Tuition Assistance at Liberty University:
- State TA is paid to the student directly by the Virginia National Guard as a reimbursement after the end of the semester.
- The deadlines to request State TA for each semester are determined by the Virginia National Guard and are listed below. You may Request State TA only during active application periods. State TA availability is subject to change.
- Request window for Fall semester: May 15th– July 1st
- Request window for Spring semester: September 15th– November 1st
- Request window for Summer semester: February 15th– April 1st
- After your request has been submitted to the Virginia National Guard, you will receive a Reimbursement Request Registration Package. Submit a copy of this document via email to LUMilitary@liberty.edu or via fax to (434) 455-1287 to notify the Office of Military Affairs that you have applied for State TA reimbursement.
- Once the Office of Military Affairs receives and processes this documentation, students will be notified by email and will be given the State TA deferred payment plan option in Financial Check-in.
Within 30 days after the semester ends, you will be required to submit a signed promissory note, a tuition bill, and a final grade report to the Virginia National Guard. For further information regarding these document requirements, please reference your Reimbursement Request Registration Package or contact the Virginia National Guard.
State TA Deferred Payment Plan
Liberty University offers a deferred payment plan option for online and residential students utilizing the State TA reimbursement program through the Virginia National Guard. This payment plan option will allow you to make a 1% payment upfront with the remaining 99% being drafted in one payment 60 days after the end of the semester. In order to receive this payment plan option, you must submit your Reimbursement Request Registration Package to the Office of Military Affairs. Once the Office of Military Affairs receives and processes this paperwork, you will be notified via email and will be given the State TA deferred payment plan option in Financial Check-in once enrolled in courses.
Please note: The State TA deferred payment plan agreement completed through Financial Check-In is a binding contract. Payment will be drafted on the date(s) specified in the plan regardless of whether payment has been issued to the student from the Virginia National Guard. If you do not receive a payment as expected and need adjustments made to your draft amounts, you may contact our office to discuss your options.