Get Closer to Your Goals, One Course at a Time
A degree can help you turn your career dream into reality, and every course brings you closer to that reality. Have confidence you’re taking the classes that will benefit you most as you set your sights on graduation by following the steps below.
Step 1 — Choose your classes
You’ve already decided on the degree you want to earn — now plan your course roadmap to get there. How?
- Find your Degree Completion Plan (DCP). This is a list of all the courses you must pass to earn your degree.
- Note the Course Sequence Guide on the second page. This is the order in which faculty recommend you take your classes.
- Ask yourself how many credit hours you want to take each term (most classes, not all, are 3 credit hours each). Studying full-time could lower the cost of each course, depending on your program. Below are the credits needed per semester at each degree level to qualify as a full-time student (taking anything less will qualify you as a part-time student):
- Undergraduate: 12 or more credit hours per semester
- Graduate: 9 or more credit hours per semester
- Doctoral: 6 or more credit hours per semester
- Decide how many general education and degree-specific courses you want to take each term.
Step 2 – Create your schedule
One great advantage to studying online is the freedom to study wherever life takes you. Our flexible courses have no set login times, so you can schedule your coursework around important commitments and events, making the most of your time.
Our 8-week course structure allows you to fit twice as many courses into a semester if you want to — simply choose the plan that works best for you:
- A-Term classes run August to December; January to May; and May to August
- B-Term classes pair easily with D-term classes, and run August to October; January to March; and May to July
- C-Term classes run September to November and February to April
- D-Term classes pair easily with B-term classes, and run October to December; March to May; and July to August
When you choose your classes at registration, note when they are offered — some are not available every sub-term and you may need to plan ahead. Have questions about sub-terms or the best way to schedule your courses? Call us at (800) 424-9595 or chat with us live.
You can also review our Academic Calendar to keep track of all important dates and deadlines associated with your courses throughout the year.
Step 3 — Check off important tasks that set you up for success
Don’t lose valuable time or create future obstacles by missing something important. When you take care of these tasks today, you’ll be glad you did! Take a few moments and ask yourself:
- Am I fully accepted into my program? Are there any other forms you need to send in for admission?
- Have I claimed my Liberty account? Your account opens the door to your Liberty ID, username, and password creation. This allows you to register online for courses and access all of our online course guides, your courses in Blackboard, and many other helpful tools!
- Am I checking my Liberty email regularly to make sure I don’t miss important announcements? Email is the main way Liberty will communicate with you, so make sure you’re checking it often.
- Have I completed my FAFSA and gotten the financial aid process moving (if planning to use financial aid)? While you can register for classes without a FAFSA on file, completing it early can prevent delays further down the enrollment process.
Have questions about the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)? Learn what’s fact and what’s fiction about this important form in the short video below.
While you’re not required to complete these important tasks prior to registration (except confirming your admission), taking the time to do them now will help set you up for success. Have questions? Call us at (800) 424-9595 or chat with us live.
Step 4 — Register for your courses
You’ve chosen your classes, set your schedule, and crossed important tasks off your list — now you’re ready to register!
This helpful tutorial video will walk you through the registration process. Take a few minutes to watch it, then follow the simple steps below. (The Fall 2020 semester is referenced here simply as an example — please choose the appropriate semester each time you register.)
- Go to the registration tool
- Select “Register for Fall 2020 Courses”
- Enter the program code and number for each course you want (Example Subject: Code = UNIV; Course Number =104)
- Select “Search”
- Select the course that’s available during the dates you want (listed under “Time”)
- Select “Register for this course”
- Repeat for all other courses
- Celebrate — you’re on your way to earning your degree!
Step 5 — Repeat this process every semester and stay on track!
Registering for classes doesn’t need to feel daunting — by putting a little time into planning your semester ahead of registration, you can create a schedule that will help you get the most out of your courses and feel prepared!
Use these online tools to help you plan ahead and never miss a deadline:
- Our Academic Calendar will provide you with the upcoming registration and Financial Check-In deadlines. The Academic Calendar also lists when registration will open for each semester so that you can schedule your courses as soon as they become available.
- Our Upcoming Events Calendar lists all events, deadlines, and webinars relevant to you as an online student. Use this page to keep up-to-date on all upcoming events and take full advantage of all our online resources.