Heroes Fund Scholarship (HFS)
Liberty University is proud of our country’s heroes who have given so much for our freedom. We know that this freedom comes at a high price for many. To show appreciation for our service members who have been wounded while protecting our liberties, Liberty University has created the Heroes Fund Scholarship (HFS).
Who is eligible?
The Heroes Fund Scholarship is offered to service members and honorably discharged Gulf War veterans* pursuing their first certificate, associate, bachelor’s, or master’s degree.
*1990-present day, including Desert Shield, Desert Storm, OEF, and OIF
- Be a recipient of the prestigious Purple Heart OR
- Rated 50-100% disabled by the Department of Veterans Affairs for a “combat-related” Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) OR
- Rated 50-100% disabled by the Department of Veterans Affairs for “combat-related” (see below) injury, illness, or condition OR
- A spouse was killed in action during one of the Gulf Wars
- HFS may only be used for a student’s first Certificate, Associate’s, Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree.
- Applicants who have already obtained a degree at another institution may not receive HFS for another degree at the same level at Liberty University.
- Non-degree seeking students are not eligible at this time.
- Students awarded the Heroes Fund Scholarship are governed by the “Recipient Standard Operating Procedure” and will be required to sign the document acknowledging receipt and understanding.
- Must have exhausted all Post-9/11 GI Bill® benefits.
- “Combat-Related” is defined on pages 63-9 and 63-10 of Volume 7B, Chapter 63 of DoD 7000.14-R dated September 2015.
- Liberty University also uses the Combat Related Definitions as defined by the US Army Human Resources Command to help further explain the eligibility qualifications.
If you feel you are eligible to receive this scholarship, but your situation is not listed above, please complete an application (see How to Apply) and submit supporting documentation.
This scholarship is provided by the generous private donations of Liberty University supporters. Continued award of this scholarship may be re-evaluated based on the availability of funds and increased need/applications. Changes in what the HFS may or may not cover may change between semesters without advance notice.
GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill.