Develop Effective Ministry Strategies with Liberty’s PhD in Christian Leadership – Strategic Christian Ministry
At first glance, the word “strategy” may sound like a business term that is only relevant in a corporate environment. However, strategic planning also plays an important role in Christian ministry because it allows ministry leaders to be good stewards of the resources entrusted to them and equips them to develop practical steps toward accomplishing a certain vision and purpose as a church or organization. That way, they can expand their ministry’s reach, assess the spiritual health of their congregation, and help other people grow in their walk with Christ.
Our 100% online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Christian Leadership – Strategic Christian Ministry is designed to help you gain the research skills, leadership abilities, and biblical knowledge needed to carry out successful ministry efforts. This Christian ministry degree online places an emphasis on scholarly, empirical research with the goal of helping you develop effective solutions to challenges in the field of Christian leadership. You’ll also have the opportunity to study practical aspects of being a leader in Christian education, churches, and parachurch organizations. Within the specialization courses, you can learn how to develop strategic, actionable plans for helping your church or ministry grow and fulfill the Great Commission.
Partner with us and learn how to make wise decisions that can bolster the spiritual health of your church or organization as you serve others through ministry.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Christian Leadership – Strategic Christian Ministry Degree Online?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance learning since 1985 – so we know how to create online degree programs that blend flexibility, accessibility, and high-quality academics. Our PhD in Christian Leadership – Strategic Christian Ministry degree is offered 100% online, and the courses have no set login times. At Liberty, you’ll have the freedom to fit your studies into your schedule and maintain your commitments to your job, family, and community while pursuing your degree.
The best part? By choosing Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility! We are regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, our courses are taught by knowledgeable faculty who have years of experience in Christian leadership, education, and ministry. With their guidance, you can strengthen your skill set and become better prepared to handle various ministry challenges in your church or organization.
Since our founding in 1971, we’ve made it our mission to Train Champions for Christ – which means we seek to equip dedicated professionals with the knowledge, values, and skills essential for impacting the world. Throughout our online Christian ministry degree program, you’ll have the opportunity to grow in your understanding of God’s Word and develop a strong biblical foundation for your ministry efforts as you study under professors who share your passion for furthering the Kingdom.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our PhD in Christian Leadership – Online Christian Ministry Degree?
This degree in Christian ministry is broken down into 3 main parts: core Christian leadership courses, the strategic Christian ministry specialization, and research courses. Throughout the program, you’ll study a blend of theory and praxis that can help equip you for unique ministry opportunities.
Within the core courses, you’ll study the biblical and theological foundations of leadership and education. You’ll also dive into leadership and management theory, organizational theory and development, group and team dynamics, and the importance of character and ethics in Christian leadership. With such a well-rounded array of courses, you can become better equipped to lead, teach, and conduct research for faith-based organizations.
The strategic Christian ministry specialization can help equip you to lead strategic initiatives that foster spiritual growth, evangelism, and discipleship efforts in churches, ministries, and faith-based organizations. In particular, you will explore characteristics that are essential to discipleship – enabling you to better assess your ministry’s success and biblical faithfulness. You can also learn how to evaluate the health of a local church. Additionally, you’ll explore how to take advantage of new technologies and creative methods to move your church or organization forward – so you can help bring positive change to your congregation.
Lastly, you’ll complete several research courses culminating in a dissertation. Throughout this process, you can strengthen your understanding of effective research methods – particularly as they apply to Christian leadership – and develop your own original research that can help further advances in the field.
- CHMN 860 – Marks of a Disciple
- CHMN 861 – Marks of a Biblical Church
- CLED 780 – Change, Power, and Conflict in Leadership
- CLED 835 – Organizational Theory and Development
Highlights of Our PhD in Christian Leadership – Online Christian Ministry Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online ministry degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- As a John W. Rawlings School of Divinity PhD student, you will receive a block rate of $2,750 per semester if you take 7-15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 per semester!**
- You can complete this PhD in Christian Leadership – online Christian ministry degree in as little as 2.5 years.
- Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
**Credits taken below 7 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
PhD in Christian Leadership – Strategic Christian Ministry Degree Online Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in your field through this program’s integrated dissertation process.
What Can You Do with a Christian Ministry Degree?
This program can help you pursue leadership roles in numerous areas, including:
- Christian education
- Christian ministries
- Faith-based organizations
- Higher education
- Missions organizations
- Nonprofit organizations
Admission Requirements for Our PhD in Christian Leadership
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 15 graduate hours of Bible, Theology, or Leadership courses
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Writing sample
- Departmental approval
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.