Become an Effective Leader in Your Church or Ministry Organization with a PhD in Christian Leadership – Ministry Leadership
As a ministry leader, you have an important responsibility to serve and foster the spiritual growth of the people in your congregation. Whether you work in a church or ministry-related organization, it’s essential that you learn to lead with skill, integrity, and humility so you can provide godly guidance and support to the people in your care.
With Liberty’s 100% online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Christian Leadership – Ministry Leadership, you’ll explore the practical and theoretical aspects of overseeing ministry efforts. Throughout this program, you can develop the skills you need to become a leader in Christian education, local churches, nonprofit work, and more. This PhD program is specifically designed to help you apply your own original research to solve various problems in the field of Christian leadership. By studying a blend of theory and praxis, you can prepare to make a greater impact in your church or organization.
Partner with us and fulfill your unique calling as you pursue your PhD in Christian Leadership – Ministry Leadership at Liberty.
*The PhD in Applied Apologetics, PhD in Bible Exposition, PhD in Christian Leadership, and PhD in Practical Theology are not approved by the Commission on Accrediting of The Association of Theological Schools but are approved by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Ministry Leadership?
Liberty has been a pioneer in distance learning since 1985. A lot has changed since then, but our commitment to offering a flexible, affordable, and high-quality education has not. We’ve designed our PhD in Christian Leadership – Ministry Leadership degree with your success in mind. This program is 100% online, and the courses have no set login times – meaning you’ll have the freedom to earn your degree on your schedule and easily access your course materials whenever you need them.
Throughout your PhD program, you’ll study under professors who have years of experience in Christian ministry. They are excited to come alongside you and share their expertise with you as you seek to become a more effective ministry leader. Our faculty will also provide valuable guidance as you work through the dissertation process, so you can be confident as you conduct your own research and seek to address various challenges in the field.
At Liberty, you won’t have to sacrifice quality for flexibility. We are regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Additionally, our commitment to excellence helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. You can rest assured that we’ve taken the time to develop a rigorous, top-notch curriculum that can help you stand out to employers as you prepare to take the next step in your career.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our PhD in Christian Leadership – Ministry Leadership Degree?
As you complete this online degree in ministry, you’ll explore several core topics in Christian leadership so you can be better equipped to serve with excellence in academia, Christian education, parachurch organizations, and local churches. Some of the topics you’ll study include biblical and theological foundations of leadership and education, organizational theory and development, leadership and management theory, and theological anthropology.
You’ll also examine group theory, team dynamics, and teaching and learning theory within the context of faith-based organizational leadership. By studying these and other essential Christian leadership topics, you can prepare to help carry out the Great Commission as you minister to those around you.
Within the ministry leadership specialization, you’ll explore how to develop and oversee effective ministries that help foster spiritual growth in the church and beyond. Specifically, you can learn how to do the following:
- Demonstrate principles of entrepreneurial leadership as you develop strategic initiatives within faith-based organizations
- Foster individual and corporate spiritual formation in the body of Christ
- Oversee and implement needed changes that allow churches and organizations to grow
- Take advantage of the opportunities presented by new technologies, creative methods, and strategic initiatives to move churches and organizations forward
- Use social networks to evangelize to non-Christians and facilitate edification in the church
Lastly, you will complete an in-depth sequence of research courses culminating in a dissertation. As you research, write, and defend your dissertation, you’ll have the opportunity to examine various challenges in the field of Christian leadership and develop original research to help address these issues.
- CLED 715 – Ecologies of Christian Formation
- CLED 745 – Leadership and Cultural Contextualization
- CLED 765 – Trends and Issues of Contemporary Leadership
- CLED 780 – Change, Power, and Conflict in Leadership
Highlights of Our Degree in Ministry Leadership
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 8 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- As a John W. Rawlings School of Divinity PhD student, you will receive a block rate of $2,750 per semester if you take 7-15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester!**
- You can complete this PhD in ministry leadership in as little as 2.5 years.
- As a Liberty student, you’ll have access to a wealth of valuable resources through our online library portal.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
**Credits taken below 7 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
PhD in Christian Leadership – Ministry Leadership Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in your field through this program’s integrated dissertation process.
PhD in Christian Leadership – Ministry Leadership Degree Potential Job Opportunities
- Church administrator
- Director of ministries
- Ministry team leader
- Nonprofit administrator
- Teacher or administrator in a Christian school
Admission Requirements for Liberty’s PhD in Christian Leadership
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 15 graduate hours of Bible, Theology, or Leadership courses
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Writing sample
- Departmental approval
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.