Expand and Strengthen the Reach of Your Ministry with Liberty’s Doctorate in Christian Leadership and Digital Discipleship
These days, the physical and digital realms have become blurred as more people, young and old, increasingly rely on digital media for connection. Learning how to communicate with your congregation both inside and outside the church building has its challenges. Liberty’s Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Christian Leadership – Digital Discipleship can help you develop strategies for reaching new communities while strengthening your relationship with your current flock.
As social media and digital platforms become increasingly ubiquitous, pastors and ministry leaders now have entirely new opportunities for virtual discipleship. Reaching new Christian communities can be facilitated using digital media. This is also a wonderful opportunity to minister to those who are unable to attend church in person. Our digital evangelism and discipleship degree can help you understand and use innovative technology to help fulfill the Great Commission.
Additionally, our doctorate in Christian leadership is designed to aid you in integrating a biblical worldview with leadership and education principles. This PhD in Christian Leadership can equip you to lead and manage church and ministry organizations – and your dissertation will allow you to take the principles you’ve learned and develop new materials to contribute to this growing field.
*The PhD in Applied Apologetics, PhD in Bible Exposition, PhD in Christian Leadership, and PhD in Practical Theology are not approved by the Commission on Accrediting of The Association of Theological Schools but are approved by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.
Why Choose Liberty’s PhD in Christian Leadership Online?
Liberty University’s mission of Training Champions for Christ extends into every area of your education. Here are some of the ways Liberty stands out and upholds this mission:
- This Christian doctoral program is offered 100% online. If you are actively engaged in ministry, family, or professional obligations, you don’t have to worry about relocation or attending on-campus classes.
- Our online program promotes a Christian leadership community. You will have the opportunity to build relationships with professors and other students throughout your degree.
- This online degree in discipleship can help you learn new and innovative ways to create your own Christian community in your church or organization.
- The integrated dissertation allows you to complete parts of your dissertation throughout your degree. You can complete this crucial part of your education efficiently and effectively.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Digital Discipleship Doctorate?
Our PhD in Christian Leadership – Digital Discipleship degree program is designed to provide you with a biblical foundation for leadership and effective utilization of technology. Our experienced faculty can help lead you into the ever-changing landscape of digital media as you learn how to best employ the tools at your disposal.
The digital discipleship specialization is designed to build upon 4 digital domains:
- Digital Community – These days, the advancement of technology has enabled us to create a community that exists not only physically but online as well. In this program, you’ll explore best practices for online church ministry.
- Digital Formation – As more ministry settings move to an online sphere, we must learn how to use technology to develop a model of spiritual formation in the digital age.
- Digital Strategies – The ability to develop a sound plan will allow you to effectively use technology in your digital ministry efforts.
- Digital Theology – The historic distinction between digital and physical has lessened. This program can help you formulate a theology of networks so you can effectively minister to God’s people.
Your Christian leadership courses will culminate in doctoral-level research for practical application in diverse educational, organizational, and ministry contexts. Your PhD dissertation gives you the opportunity to synthesize the knowledge gained throughout the program. You can apply advanced research methods learned in the Doctor of Philosophy in Christian Leadership program to help contribute to the general body of knowledge in digital discipleship.
- CLCM 510 – Constructing a Theology of Networks for the Digital Age
- CLCM 520 – Spiritual Formation in the Digital Age
- CLCM 530 – Creating Christian Community Online
- CLCM 540 – Introduction to Ministry in the Digital Age
Highlights of Our Christian Leadership Doctoral Degree Program
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank in the top 10% of Niche.com’s best online schools in America. Earning your online Christian doctoral degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 9 years – and counting.
- To continue our mission of providing affordable education, electronic textbooks are included for all divinity courses* at no cost to you. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- You can complete the PhD in Christian Leadership degree online in as little as 2.5 years.
- As a John W. Rawlings School of Divinity PhD student, you can receive a block rate of $2,750 when taking 7-15 credit hours per semester. This can save you up to $6,000 per semester!**
- As a Christian leader, you can benefit from networking opportunities with other professionals in the program from across the country.
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
**Credits taken below 7 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
PhD in Christian Leadership – Digital Discipleship Online Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in your field through this program’s integrated dissertation process.
Potential Career Opportunities for Doctorate in Christian Leadership and Digital Discipleship Graduates
- Church discipleship coordinator
- Communications liaison
- Digital ministry leader
- Digital pastor
- Director of digital ministries
- Online campus pastor
Admission Requirements for Our PhD in Christian Leadership – Digital Discipleship
A regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with a 3.0 or above GPA is required for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 15 graduate hours of Bible, Theology, or Leadership courses
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Writing sample
- Departmental approval
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses — documentation verifying military status is required.