Learn to Breathe New Life Into a Church with Liberty’s Christian Leadership PhD Program in Church Revitalization
Are you interested in reviving a struggling church? Perhaps you’re a full-time pastor, and you want to tackle the challenge of finding a church in need of strong leadership and a person who can guide it back to success. If this sounds like you, Liberty University’s online Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Christian Leadership – Church Revitalization may be a great fit. This degree program is offered 100% online with no set login times – allowing you to further your education while remaining committed to your job, family, and community.
In today’s world, the church has fallen on hard times. According to Gallup, church attendance in America has dropped below 50% for the first time ever.* This troubling trend can be attributed to a number of factors – mainly that an increasing number of Americans no longer identify with a particular religion. With our church revitalization degree, you can play a role in battling this trend by learning how to nurse a church back to health. Unbelievers are everywhere – including your local community. This degree program can help you find those people and bring them into your church’s family.
By partnering with us, you can complete a terminal Christian PhD program capable of teaching you the skills needed to revive a church. Don’t put your future – or the future of your church – on hold any longer. Choose Liberty’s PhD program in church revitalization and prepare to serve others.
*Gallup, at U.S. Church Membership Falls Below Majority for First Time (viewed online May 11, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Why Choose Liberty’s Christian Leadership PhD in Church Revitalization Degree?
As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to develop an online degree program that challenges you to grasp new concepts while respecting your commitments to your job, family, and community. This degree program is offered 100% online with no required intensives, meaning you won’t have to sacrifice time away from home to complete your degree.
Another reason to earn your PhD in Christian Leadership – Church Revitalization is that it can boost your chance for a pay increase. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, professionals who held a doctoral degree earned an average of 21% more than those with only a master’s degree in 2021.** This statistic speaks volumes to the value of a doctoral degree – and it means that this PhD program could put you in a position to vie for such a significant pay increase.
Our Christian PhD program in church revitalization is taught by a group of esteemed experts who have years of work and educational experience. At Liberty, our professors are leaders in the fields of education and ministry – so you can feel confident in the quality of instruction that you’ll receive. In addition, you can complete our church revitalization PhD in as little as 2.5 years, so you won’t have to dedicate an extensive amount of time to your studies. Our degree allows you to get the training you need without requiring a prolonged academic commitment.
**Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, at Earnings and unemployment rates by educational attainment, 2021 (viewed online May 11, 2022). Cited projections may not reflect local and/or short-term economic or job conditions and do not guarantee actual job growth.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our Christian Leadership Degree in Church Revitalization?
Our church revitalization degree is composed of 3 sections: core courses, church revitalization classes, and research courses. In the core courses, you will study biblical and theological foundations of leadership, biblical and theological foundations of education, and theological anthropology in leadership and education. You will also study character and ethics in leadership and education as well as management theory and organizational theory and development. This section of the degree is rounded out by a study of group and team dynamics and teaching and learning theory.
The church revitalization specialization consists of 3 classes that can help equip you with the skills needed to revive a struggling church. In this section of the degree, you will study biblical leadership in church revitalization, strategic leadership for church revitalization, and change, power, and conflict in leadership.
In the research section, you’ll dive into a sequence of 6 courses focusing on research methods for Christian leadership. These classes can help you learn how to conduct valuable, cutting-edge research in your field. From there, you’ll research, write, and defend a dissertation on a topic you’re passionate about. In doing so, you can contribute valuable work to your field and establish yourself as a Christian leadership scholar.
- CHMN 810 – Biblical Leadership in Church Revitalization
- CHMN 820 – Strategic Leadership for Church Revitalization
- CLED 780 – Change, Power, and Conflict in Leadership
- CLED 855 – Teaching and Learning: Theory and Practice in Leadership
Highlights of Our Church Revitalization Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online PhD in Christian Leadership from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- As a John W. Rawlings School of Divinity PhD student, you will receive a block rate of $2,750 per semester if you take 7-15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 per semester!*
- We have replaced nearly all School of Divinity textbooks** with no-cost electronic resources through the Inclusive Access initiative. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!
- Our PhD in Christian Leadership – Church Revitalization can be completed in as little as 2.5 years.
*Credits taken below 7 and above 15 are charged at the part-time rate.
**Please note: Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
PhD in Christian Leadership – Church Revitalization Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in your field through this program’s integrated dissertation process.
Potential Career Opportunities for PhD in Christian Leadership – Church Revitalization Graduates
- Church administrator
- Church revitalization specialist
- Ministry director
- Revitalization pastor
- Senior pastor
Admission Requirements for the PhD in Christian Leadership
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts
- Previous education showing at least 15 graduate hours of Bible, Theology, or Leadership courses
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Writing sample
- Departmental approval
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.