Be a Shepherd for Your Congregation by Earning a Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Spiritual Formation
As a ministry leader, you are responsible for the spiritual well-being of your congregation, staff, and community. Liberty University’s Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Spiritual Formation provides the opportunity to study innovative strategies to facilitate the spiritual growth of small groups and individuals under your leadership. The D.Min. is the highest and most prestigious ministry-based degree that a student can earn in our School of Divinity. We know the time you have in your busy schedule to complete a doctorate degree is limited, so we have designed this program to be 100% online to fit your need for flexibility.
Our professors have years of training and first-hand experience in ministry. They are excited to invest their knowledge into doctoral students so each one can strengthen his or her individual ministry potential. You can advance your knowledge of God’s Word, the spiritual foundation of a ministry and individuals, become more effective in leading your discipleship ministries, and meet others with similar passions when enrolled in our spiritual growth program.
Why Choose Liberty’s Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) – Spiritual Formation Online Program?
Our professors are committed to preparing you for a successful career in ministry leadership. As you learn about the process of facilitating growth in your church, you will be equipped with an advanced understanding of biblical principles that will serve you well in a ministry-related role. We want you to be able to encourage a commitment to the Christian life, personal integrity, sensitivity to the needs of others, social responsibility and active communication of Christian values, in your life and in the lives of others.
With a calling to share the word of Jesus Christ and make disciples who are growing in their knowledge of Jesus, our online ministry degree will help ensure that you are fully prepared for whatever comes during your ministry.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Completing our online Doctor of Ministry degree will offer practice-focused training that emphasizes solving real-world ministry problems with advanced practice and research.
- The variety of specializations in our online D.Min. degree allows you to choose a track that directly relates to your ministry.
- You will complete an integrated thesis project that will demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced theology and Christian scholarship to practical ministry problems.
What Will You Learn in the Online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) – Spiritual Formation Degree?
Our online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) degree provides an in-depth, well-rounded exploration of biblical principles and the opportunity to enhance your communication skills. This degree program will strengthen your understanding of discipleship and ministry with the future leaders of the Church. You will also benefit from strengthening your own theological and biblical knowledge so that you can effectively carry out the Great Commission.
Throughout this degree program, you will engage in a variety of courses designed to increase your understanding and application of the Gospel.
- Through classes like Biblical Theology of Spiritual Formation, our online seminary professors will help you gain a deep understanding of the Gospel and how to use God’s Word to develop spiritual growth.
- Our History of Spiritual Formation course provides training in how spiritual formation has changed from the early days of the church to present day through the lens of discipline, theology, and practice.
- The Facilitation of Spiritual Formation course focuses on the corporate aspect of spiritual formation against the backdrop of our hyper-individualistic culture and emphasis within Protestantism. You will analyze those elements that facilitate and foster spiritual formation in the Christian life.
- DSMN 850 – Biblical Theology of Spiritual Formation*
- DSMN 860 – History of Spiritual Formation*
- DSMN 870 – Facilitation of Spiritual Formation*
*Course guides for these courses are coming soon!
Our Online D.Min. in Spiritual Formation Program Highlights
- By earning your online D.Min. Degree – Biblical Studies from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
You’re pursuing your degree because you want to serve God and others with excellence. We want to honor that goal by making your degree as affordable as possible. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have a set block rate of $2,750 a semester if you take 7 to 15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester if you are a full-time doctoral student!
- We have replaced nearly all School of Divinity textbooks with no-cost electronic resources through the Inclusive Access initiative.
- Students can complete our online D.Min. degree in as little as two years!
- Learn from renowned Christian scholars and ministry professionals in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
Similar Online Degree Programs
Liberty has similar Doctor of Ministry degree programs that specialize in the areas of discipleship, chaplaincy, and ministry leadership. These degree programs offer a wide variety of career paths within ministry that you might be interested in pursuing.
D.Min. in Spiritual Formation Degree Information
- This online doctoral program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- You can view the School of Divinity Handbook for information about the online D.Min. degree’s thesis project.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the graduate course syllabi (login required).
Potential Career Options with a D.Min. in Spiritual Formation
- Discipleship Pastor
- Pastoral Counselor
- Senior Church Administrator
- Senior Pastor
- Small Group Pastor
- Youth Pastor
Admission Requirements for Our Online D.Min. Degree Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity degree (or its equivalent) with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our Admission Requirements Page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact Information for two pastoral recommenders
- Official Transcripts showing a Master of Divinity or a Master of Divinity Equivalent
- Three years of ministry experience
- Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Vita
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.