Be a Shepherd for Your Congregation by Earning a Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Spiritual Formation
As a ministry leader, you are responsible for the spiritual well-being of your congregation, staff, and community. Liberty University’s Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Spiritual Formation provides the opportunity to study innovative strategies to facilitate the spiritual growth of small groups and individuals under your leadership. The D.Min. is the highest and most prestigious ministry-based degree that a student can earn in our School of Divinity. We know the time you have in your busy schedule to complete a doctorate degree is limited, so we have designed this program to be 100% online to fit your need for flexibility.
Our professors have years of training and first-hand experience in ministry. They are excited to invest their knowledge into doctoral students so each one can strengthen his or her individual ministry potential. You can advance your knowledge of God’s Word, the spiritual foundation of a ministry and individuals, become more effective in leading your discipleship ministries, and meet others with similar passions when enrolled in our spiritual growth program.
Liberty University’s John W. Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) – Spiritual Formation Online Program?
Our professors are committed to preparing you for a successful career in ministry leadership. As you learn about the process of facilitating growth in your church, you will be equipped with an advanced understanding of biblical principles that will serve you well in a ministry-related role. We want you to be able to encourage a commitment to the Christian life, personal integrity, sensitivity to the needs of others, social responsibility, and active communication of Christian values — in your life and in the lives of others.
With a calling to share the Word of God and make disciples who are growing in their knowledge of Jesus, our online ministry degree will help ensure that you are fully prepared for whatever comes during your ministry.
What are the Benefits of Liberty’s Online Doctor of Ministry?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Completing our online Doctor of Ministry degree will offer practice-focused training that emphasizes solving real-world ministry problems with advanced practice and research.
- The variety of specializations in our online D.Min. degree allows you to choose a track that directly relates to your ministry.
- You will complete an integrated thesis project that will demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced theology and Christian scholarship to practical ministry problems.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in the Online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) – Spiritual Formation Degree?
Our online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) degree provides an in-depth, well-rounded exploration of biblical principles and the opportunity to enhance your communication skills. This degree program will strengthen your understanding of discipleship and ministry with the future leaders of the Church. You will also benefit from strengthening your own theological and biblical knowledge so that you can effectively carry out the Great Commission.
Throughout this degree program, you will engage in a variety of courses designed to increase your understanding and application of the Gospel.
- Through classes like Biblical Theology of Spiritual Formation, our online seminary professors will help you gain a deep understanding of the Gospel and how to use God’s Word to develop spiritual growth.
- Our History of Spiritual Formation course provides training in how spiritual formation has changed from the early days of the church to present day through the lens of discipline, theology, and practice.
- The Facilitation of Spiritual Formation course focuses on the corporate aspect of spiritual formation against the backdrop of our hyper-individualistic culture and emphasis within Protestantism. You will analyze those elements that facilitate and foster spiritual formation in the Christian life.
- DSMN 850 – Biblical Theology of Spiritual Formation
- DSMN 860 – History of Spiritual Formation
- DSMN 870 – Facilitation of Spiritual Formation
Our Online D.Min. in Spiritual Formation Program Highlights
- Liberty is ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility by BestColleges.com — and ranked as the #2 online school in America by Niche.com. Earning your online D.Min in Spiritual Formation degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition will set you apart from others in your field.
You’re pursuing your degree because you want to serve God and others with excellence. We want to honor that goal by making your degree as affordable as possible. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have a set block rate of $2,750 a semester if you take 7 to 15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester if you are a full-time doctoral student!
- We have replaced nearly all School of Divinity textbooks with no-cost electronic resources through the Inclusive Access initiative.
- You can complete our online D.Min. degree in as little as 2 years!
- Learn from renowned Christian scholars and ministry professionals in the Liberty University School of Divinity, such as Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop practical ministry skills that will help you ensure that individuals and families in your ministry are connected and growing in the church.
D.Min. in Spiritual Formation Degree Information
- This online doctoral program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- You can view the School of Divinity Handbook for information about the online D.Min. degree’s thesis project.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options with a D.Min. in Spiritual Formation
- Discipleship pastor
- Pastoral counselor
- Senior church administrator
- Senior pastor
- Small group pastor
- Youth pastor
Admission Requirements for Our Online D.Min. Degree Program
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity degree (or its equivalent) with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission Application
- Application fee*
- Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact Information for two pastoral recommenders
- Official Transcripts showing a Master of Divinity or a Master of Divinity Equivalent
- Three years of ministry experience
- Ecclesiastical Endorsement
- Statement of Purpose
- Professional Vita
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.