Prepare to Lead in Christian Counseling with Our Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Pastoral Counseling Degree
Our 100% online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.) in Pastoral Counseling degree is designed to equip you to advance your ministry by obtaining gospel-centered, accessible, and practical ministry skills. Our online doctorate in pastoral counseling provides advanced training in Christian counseling and pastoral care that will allow you to incorporate biblical counseling practices into your ministry. If you want to be better equipped to minister to the spiritual and mental health of your congregation, our D.Min. in Pastoral Counseling degree will give you the skills and knowledge you need.
Liberty University’s Rawlings School of Divinity is accredited by the Commission on Accrediting of the Association of Theological Schools (ATS). Your divinity degree is approved by ATS and has met rigorous accreditation standards. So you can feel confident that your degree is both academically excellent and well-respected among churches, ministries, and nonprofit organizations.
Why Choose Liberty’s Online D.Min. in Pastoral Counseling Degree?
Our online Doctor of Ministry degree program is focused on practical ministry training so you can gain the skills and knowledge you need for use in your specific ministry context. If you are already a ministry professional, but you are looking to help people struggling with spiritual and mental health crises, our online D.Min. in Pastoral Counseling degree will give you the foundation of knowledge you need. Throughout this Doctor of Ministry in Pastoral Counseling program, you will focus on understanding practical solutions to ministry challenges in addition to theoretical research, ensuring that you can use the skills and knowledge you gain from this program to solve real-world problems.
This program is designed to build on your ministry experience in support of Christian counseling and pastoral care as well as provide you with important ministry-specific counseling skills. If you want to branch out into a Christian counseling role, the field-specific training and biblical counseling techniques in this pastoral counseling doctoral degree will provide valuable tools for a variety of ministry settings.
What are the benefits of earning Liberty’s online Doctor of Ministry (D.Min.)?
- Unlike many online Bible colleges and seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Completing the online Doctor of Ministry in Pastoral Counseling program will give you a practice-focused degree that emphasizes solving real-world ministry problems with advanced practice and research.
- Our online D.Min. degree’s specializations allow you to focus directly on your area of ministry, and the thesis provides an opportunity to dig into research under the mentorship of Liberty’s Christian scholars.
- You will complete an integrated dissertation project that will demonstrate your expertise and ability to apply advanced counseling theories to practical problems.
What Will You Learn in Our Doctor of Ministry in Pastoral Counseling Degree Program?
The core content of our online D.Min. program provides the basis for advanced doctoral-level academic research and writing that will carry into the rest of the ministry-specific curriculum and thesis project. In your doctorate degree in pastoral counseling, you will learn advanced biblical counseling techniques and explore current issues in society as they relate to counseling. Your online pastoral counseling classes will provide diverse training that will allow you to address many different modern-day problems.
All of the courses in the D.Min. degree program are designed and delivered in a way to help you develop your research for the final thesis project, which will be focused on a ministry topic of your choice.
- PACO 825 — Growth and Development of the Contemporary Minister
- PACO 830 — Individual and Family Issues in Pastoral Counseling
- PACO 835 — Premarital and Marital Issues in Pastoral Counseling
- PACO 840 — Crises and Current Issues in Pastoral Counseling
Our Online Pastoral Counseling Doctorate Degree Information
- This D.Min. program falls under the Rawlings School of Divinity.
- You can view the Rawlings School of Divinity Handbook for information about the online D.Min. degree thesis project.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan for this program.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
Potential Career Options with a Doctoral Degree in Pastoral Counseling
- Christian university professor
- Church counselor
- Church planter
- Community chaplain
- Lead/associate pastor
- Senior church administrator
- Senior pastor
- Worship leader
- Youth pastor
Graduates of our online Doctor of Ministry degree will have a terminal doctorate credential that may provide opportunities to publish academic research and pursue college-level teaching, as well as serve in a senior ministry leadership role. The practical skills and knowledge learned in the pastoral counseling D.Min. degree will equip students for many areas of counseling ministry, such as in a Christian counseling center, nonprofit counseling center, or other ministry-focused counseling organizations.
Please note that many clinical counseling roles will require individual state licensure.
Our Online D.Min. in Pastoral Counseling Program Highlights
- By earning your online D.Min. degree from a nonprofit university whose online programs ranked in the top 1% of more than 2,100 online colleges and universities for academic quality, affordability, and accessibility, you will be set apart from others in your field.
You are pursuing your degree because you want to serve God and others with excellence. We want to honor that goal by making your degree as affordable as possible. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have a set block rate of $2,750 a semester if you take 7 to 15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester if you are a full-time doctoral student!
- We have replaced nearly all School of Divinity textbooks with no-cost electronic resources through the Inclusive Access initiative.
- You can complete this online D.Min. degree in as little as 2 years.
- Our online seminary programs within the Rawlings School of Divinity are led by experienced Christian counselors and ministry professionals who teach practical ministry skills while imparting deep theological teaching.
- Learn from renowned Christian scholars and ministry professionals like Dr. Elmer L. Towns and Dr. Gary R. Habermas.
- Develop broad experience in Christian counseling and pastoral care to address mental and spiritual health issues in your biblical counseling practice.
Similar Online Degree Programs
- Doctor of Education in Christian Leadership (Ed.D.) — An executive leadership, ministry-focused doctoral degree that will equip you for many Christian leadership roles in and outside of the Church.
- Doctor of Education in Community Care and Counseling (Ed.D.) — A practice-based counseling degree that emphasizes counseling ministry practice.
- Doctor of Philosophy in Theology and Apologetics (Ph.D.) — A degree with the highest level of academic research and study with an emphasis in teaching and academic scholarship.
Admission Requirements for Our Online D.Min. in Pastoral Counseling Degree
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited Master of Divinity degree (or its equivalent) with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Contact information for 2 pastoral recommenders
- Official transcripts showing a Master of Divinity or its equivalent
- 3 years of ministry experience
- Ecclesiastical endorsement
- Statement of purpose
- Professional vita
- Proof of English proficiency
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during financial check-in. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.
Please note: The pastoral counseling area of study is currently the only Doctor of Ministry specialization that is eligible for the military discount.
Liberty University is dedicated to providing world-class educational experiences to military students from across the globe. Whether you are a current service member, discharged or retired from service, or the spouse of a service member or veteran, we are here to support you every step of the journey.
As a thank-you for your dedication and service to our country, Liberty is honored to serve and support you in your pursuit of online education by offering the following benefits:
- The discounted tuition rate of $275 (per credit hour for part-time enrollment)
- Discounted Divinity Block Rate: $2,475 per semester — only $165/credit at 15 credit hours*
- Additional discount for veterans who serve in a civilian capacity as a First Responder (less than $625 per course)
*Credits taken above 15 credit hours for the Doctor of Ministry – Pastoral Counseling online are charged at the part-time rate.