Support and Defend the Faith in the Face of Criticism with Liberty’s PhD in Applied Apologetics Online
Are you interested in biblical scholarship? Would you like the opportunity to conduct original research into the rich history of applied apologetics? Perhaps you’re interested in becoming more equipped to articulate and defend the faith. If so, Liberty’s Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Applied Apologetics may be for you!
Our PhD in apologetics online degree provides you with the opportunity to do focused research on a topic related to the defense of the Christian faith. In doing so, you will produce a written dissertation and contribute to the base of knowledge in the fields of religion and apologetics.
The PhD in Applied Apologetics can equip you with the skills needed to answer the challenges that churches face worldwide. This 51-credit-hour degree can help prepare you to write on apologetic topics, pursue job opportunities in higher education, serve on a church staff, or work within parachurch apologetic organizations to develop material for Christians seeking defenses for Scripture.
Why Choose Liberty’s Applied Apologetics Doctorate Degree?
When choosing a university for your doctoral divinity education, you want a university whose reputation is cemented in history. Though much has changed since our founding in 1971, our commitment to Training Champions for Christ has not. For decades, we have been equipping pastors and faith leaders with the skills, knowledge, and biblical expertise needed to minister to the hurting, share the Gospel with people across the world, and lead ministry organizations with unmatched excellence.
At Liberty, we don’t just offer a biblical tradition. As a pioneer in distance education since 1985, we understand what it takes to develop a rigorous online degree program that challenges you to grow and respects your personal commitments. With mostly 8-week courses and no set login times, you can further your education at Liberty while remaining committed to your career, church, and family.
Doctoral programs can be quite lengthy, but at Liberty, you can complete your PhD in Applied Apologetics in as little as 3 years. You also won’t have to travel to our residential campus to take intensives or meet with your dissertation advisor – all of your work can be done from the comfort of your home.
In addition, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC). Earning your degree from a university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from your peers when vying for internships and job opportunities. Most importantly, this accreditation ensures that your degree is both highly respected and capable of helping you pursue your career goals.
Taught by a cadre of expert professors, our apologetics PhD program also offers you valuable mentorship and networking opportunities. By immersing yourself in an online community of Christian scholars, you can grow – both as a person and as a student.
Military Tuition Discount
Lead your field with the doctoral degree you want — at a price you’ve earned. As a thank-you for your military service, Liberty University offers current and former service members like you or your spouse multiple pathways to earn a doctoral degree for only $300/credit hour. Find out how you can take advantage of this unique opportunity and reach the pinnacle of your profession — for less.
What Will You Learn in Our PhD in Applied Apologetics Degree?
This online apologetics PhD program consists of 3 main sections: core foundational courses, specialized research courses, and dissertation courses. Each class is designed to equip you with new knowledge and challenges you to demonstrate what you have learned.
In the core courses, you will study ministry foundations for applied apologetics, philosophical foundations for apologetics, and dissertation concept development. From there, you’ll explore teaching and research methods as well as the theological foundations that underlie applied apologetics.
In the research courses, you’ll dive into a 2-part literature review and a 2-part topical research examination. The literature review consists of an extensive exploration of relevant writings that mirror your dissertation plans. The same can be said for the topical review courses, but these will be even more in-depth than the literature review classes. A dissertation presentation, consisting of 2 courses that allow you to demonstrate the uniqueness of your chosen topic, rounds out this section.
The dissertation sequence is the final part of this online apologetics degree. During this process, you’ll research, write, and defend your dissertation, giving you the opportunity to demonstrate your expertise and contribute to the current base of knowledge in your field. Upon completion of your dissertation, satisfaction of degree requirements, and conferral of your diploma, you will have earned the title “Doctor of Applied Apologetics.”
- APOL 701 – Ministry Foundations for Applied Apologetics
- APOL 702 – Philosophical Foundations for Applied Apologetics
- RTCH 805 – Research Methods
- THEO 706 – Theological Foundations
Course guides coming soon
Highlights of Our Doctoral Applied Apologetics Degree
- We are recognized by multiple institutions for our academic quality, affordability, and accessibility. Our commitment to excellence also helped us rank among Niche.com’s top 3 online schools in America. Earning your online degree from a nonprofit university with this kind of recognition can help set you apart from others in your field.
- Your success is our success, which is why we are committed to providing quality academics at an affordable tuition rate. While other colleges are increasing their tuition, we have frozen tuition rates for our undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral programs for the past 7 years – and counting.
- We have replaced nearly all School of Divinity textbooks with no-cost electronic resources through the Inclusive Access initiative. As a full-time student, this could save you an estimated $800-2,000 per year on textbooks!*
- As a John W. Rawlings School of Divinity PhD student, you will receive a block rate of $2,750 per semester if you take 7-15 credit hours. This can save you up to $6,000 a semester!**
- Unlike many Bible colleges or seminaries, Liberty University is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
*Electronic textbooks are not provided for courses that fall under departments outside the School of Divinity.
**Credits taken below 7 and above 15 credit hours are charged at the part-time rate.
PhD in Applied Apologetics Degree Information
- This program falls under the John W. Rawlings School of Divinity.
- Download and review the Degree Completion Plan.
- View the Graduate Divinity Course Guides (login required).
- Contribute to the body of knowledge in your field through this program’s dissertation
Potential Career Opportunities for Graduates of Our Doctor of Applied Apologetics
- Church administrator
- Ministry director
- University administrator
- Vocational missionary
Admission Requirements for Our PhD in Applied Apologetics
Applicants must have a regionally or nationally accredited master’s degree with at least a 3.0 GPA for admission in good standing. Please visit our admission requirements page for more detailed admissions-related information.
All applicants must submit the following:
- Admission application
- Application fee*
- Official college transcripts showing a conferred seminary master’s degree from an accredited institution with at least 15 hours of theology or apologetics courses
- Writing sample: 10 pages from prior academic coursework
- School of Divinity Questionnaire
- Departmental approval
- Proof of English proficiency (for applicants whose native language is other than English)
*There is no upfront application fee; however, a deferred $50 application fee will be assessed during Financial Check-In. This fee is waived for qualifying service members, veterans, and military spouses – documentation verifying military status is required.