Elements of Physics Lab – PHYS 103
CG • Section 8WK • 11/08/2019 to 04/16/2020 • Modified 07/28/2020
An optional lab to accompany PHYS 101. Attention will be given to laboratory procedures of physics, safety, mathematics, measurement, and data manipulation, and everyday uses of physics.
PHYS 103 is an optional lab to accompany PHYS 101. It will introduce basic laboratory procedures such as safety, mathematics, measurement and data manipulation and will reinforce every day uses of physics.
Measurable Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completed of this course, the student will be able to:
- Use laboratory equipment necessary for the completion of an experiment.
- Exhibit skill in laboratory technique and safety procedures.
- Record data on a laboratory report.
- Use correct mathematical formulas and display neat and clear calculation setups and final solutions on a laboratory report.
- Present clearly written rational conclusions to a laboratory investigation on a laboratory report.
General Education Foundational Skill Learning Outcomes: Social and Scientific Inquiry
- SSI 1: Demonstrate an understanding of the impact of science on the world in which we live.
- SSI 2b: Demonstrate a biblical understanding of humankind’s role in scientific inquiry and discovery.
- SSI 3: Apply solutions for a social and/or scientific question experienced in nature or society.
- SSI 4: Describe how social and/or scientific inquiry equips human beings to be participants in God’s redemptive work.
Lab exercise readings and lecture presentations
Course Requirements Checklist
After reading the Course Syllabus and Student Expectations, the student will complete the related checklist found in Module/Week 1.
Discussion Board Forums (2)
Discussion boards are collaborative learning experiences. Therefore, the student is required to create a thread in response to the provided prompt for each forum. Each thread must be at least 250 words and demonstrate course-related knowledge. In addition to the thread, the student is required to reply to 1 classmate’s thread. Each reply must be at least 125 words. This assignment aligns with the following FSLOs: SSI 2.
The student will write a brief page lab report for 5 laboratory exercises as exhibited on the schedule. This assignment aligns with the following FSLOs: SSI 1 and SSI 3.
Each quiz will cover the Reading & Study material for the assigned module/week. Each quiz will contain 20 multiple-choice and true/false questions, and have a 1-hour time limit. The student may refer only to his/her personal notes and materials for this course during the assessment. This assignment aligns with the following FSLOs: SSI 1 and SSI 3